• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearances

btf79

I will be commissioned this summer, and still don't know when I will actually be going to TBS. However, my clearance request is just now getting processed, and I don't know if it will be completed by the time I go. If it doesn't get completed by then, will I be held up in training or given the boot as a result, or will they accept that the investigation is pending? Any guidance would be appreciated.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
If you've completed the SF86 and entered that info into the computer you're good. Make sure you keep a hard copy of your SF86, this will save you a pound of pain in the future. You can check with your OSO who should be able to see if your investigation was opened. Once that is done you are cleared to train at TBS.

If your OSO gaffs you off, keep after him. It's on you to make sure you're square before you start training. There will be lieutenants in you company who get rolled back because their clearances were never started before they reported to TBS.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Most of TBS is classifed TOP SECRET, so they'll probably have you wait around mowing lawns and stuff until your clearance is approved.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
All,

I have done most of my SF86 online but am having troubles with a few parts. The system does not have a place for me to enter part of my employment record and personal references. Also, when I select my birth state, it does not automatically put in United States in the personal info. My recruiter told me to use another web browser (Netscape, Explorer, Firefox), but that did not work. Anyone run into this problem and have any insight?

Thanks

Nick

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
All,

I have done most of my SF86 online but am having troubles with a few parts. The system does not have a place for me to enter part of my employment record and personal references. Also, when I select my birth state, it does not automatically put in United States in the personal info. My recruiter told me to use another web browser (Netscape, Explorer, Firefox), but that did not work. Anyone run into this problem and have any insight?

Thanks

Nick

I had a similar problem. I filled out what I could, then my recruiter told me to write in by hand what the computer wouldn't let me type.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All,

Thanks

Nick
Nick, I am assuming that you are using e-QIP, have you read through the faq online?

http://www.opm.gov/e-qip/reference.asp

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I will be commissioned this summer, and still don't know when I will actually be going to TBS. However, my clearance request is just now getting processed, and I don't know if it will be completed by the time I go. If it doesn't get completed by then, will I be held up in training or given the boot as a result, or will they accept that the investigation is pending? Any guidance would be appreciated.
No, you are good to go. As long as what you said is correct, that you submitted the clearance request, and it is showing up in JPAS/JCAVS as being processed... you can be granted an interim clearance after your commission by your commanding officer. Now, if any derogatory information comes back or an LOI from DONCAF, that interim can get pulled.

Everyone gets confused about the terminology, you fill out your SF86 via the online program e-QIP. It is reviewed for completeness by the organization that had you fill it out, and forwarded to an investigating agency. That agency sends its completed package to DONCAF for adjudication based on the findings.

- Eligibility: DONCAF grants an eligibility for a clearance level, based upon the particular investigation you got NACLC, SSBI/PR.
- Clearance: Your command grants you the clearance level it deems appropriate for you to do your job, additionally based on your eligibility.
- Access: What material the command lets you work with at your clearance level.

DONCAF relies heavily on input from the Commanding Officer, and especially reporting any changes throughout your career that impact your clearance eligibility. Indebtedness (not paying bills on time, or overextended/bankruptcy) and trustworthiness being two of the biggest factors that will have your eligibility for a clearance removed in a heart beat.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
All,

Thanks

Nick
I had the exact same problem. I fixed it by using the newest version of Internet Explorer. Everything worked in Explorer but it didn't work in Firefox.