• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance In Order to Be A Naval Aviator (NOTE: for REAL Navy flyers only)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We need to watch out what we are saying in open forum here. FOUO. Just saying, watch out so people don't get in trouble.

There's nothing classified about the procedures for getting a clearance. Thanks for the warning, though.

Chexmix

Hi all,
I'm a college graduate researching for my possible career options, the Navy being one. I only have a green card now (and 3 years to go to become eligible to swear to be a US citizen), but I am considering enlisting in Navy Reserves to get my citizenship so I can apply to OCS. At any rate, it's been mentioned on this thread that one parent not being a US citizen is not a DQing factor, but what about the applicant being the only US citizen in the whole family? I've been physically present in the US (legally of course) since 01, but I just got my green card in Jan, 08. Can anyone answer this question? Oh... and my family is from/in South Korea if that makes any difference.

Thanks all in advance,
Chex

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi all,
I'm a college graduate researching for my possible career options, the Navy being one. I only have a green card now (and 3 years to go to become eligible to swear to be a US citizen), but I am considering enlisting in Navy Reserves to get my citizenship so I can apply to OCS. At any rate, it's been mentioned on this thread that one parent not being a US citizen is not a DQing factor, but what about the applicant being the only US citizen in the whole family? I've been physically present in the US (legally of course) since 01, but I just got my green card in Jan, 08. Can anyone answer this question? Oh... and my family is from/in South Korea if that makes any difference.

Thanks all in advance,
Chex

Few things are outright disqualifying, but it will definitely make getting your clearance more difficult & time consuming. FWIW, I've now had two Intel officers (both with TS/SCI clearances) who were 1st generation immigrants from Asia. Do what you can to get your US citizenship, then the rest will take care of itself - in time.

Brett

nombrescreeno

Question for webmaster or anyone else with knowledge of this

When listing foreign relatives, you mean any relatives period or any relatives you keep in contact with? I know of a few relatives out there, but I've probably seen them once in the past five years or so and have never maintained contact otherwise, so I was wondering if there were criteria if any there are for listing relatives

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Question for webmaster or anyone else with knowledge of this

When listing foreign relatives, you mean any relatives period or any relatives you keep in contact with? I know of a few relatives out there, but I've probably seen them once in the past five years or so and have never maintained contact otherwise, so I was wondering if there were criteria if any there are for listing relatives

It's probably better to disclose everything now than to leave things off. They'll probably think you are hiding something if you do.

sickboy

pilot
Few things are outright disqualifying, but it will definitely make getting your clearance more difficult & time consuming. FWIW, I've now had two Intel officers (both with TS/SCI clearances) who were 1st generation immigrants from Asia. Do what you can to get your US citizenship, then the rest will take care of itself - in time.

Brett

I have two relatives with connections to the IRA and I still got my clearance. I had to answer a ton of questions about them, but it turned out alright.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The issue's rarely "do you have foreign relatives," but rather, are you in a position where you're required to support them financially, could they be used to pressure you, etc.

nombrescreeno

So I was looking through the SF86 form again, and it goes through the definition of foreign relatives. I know they updated the SF86 form somewhat recently, but the definition for relatives seemed to be pretty fuzzy too. It mainly seemed to go through spouse, parents, siblings, children, mother/father-in-law, guardian, etc. but nothing about cousins, grandparents, etc.

So I'm wondering where the definition of relatives cut off on the family tree? Like for instance, I know of second cousins out there but have never once contacted or met them, so how does that work?

TrunkMonkey

Spy Navy
"Foreign Contacts" = any relatives listed on the SF-86 + any foreign national that you have "close and continuing contact" with.
For this purpose, I would define close and continuing contact as speaking/e-mailing to the person once a year or more.
So, if your roommate is a foreign national, you should list them. If your second cousin is a foreign national but you don't have close and continuing contact, you don't have to list them.

nombrescreeno

Got it, that makes sense - none of those listed under the SF86 definition for relatives applies to me, so the only foreign contact I would have (who is technically a relative, just not under the definition given by the SF86 form) would be my grandmother overseas

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
You know today I was helping a Marine fill out his eQIP for his security clearance, and he actually asked me "If I can't remember my Mom's birthday, can I just make it up... will they check?"

Ay papi!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I have two relatives with connections to the IRA and I still got my clearance. I had to answer a ton of questions about them, but it turned out alright.

I've got a good buddy who married a girl from the Ukraine; her father is a retired KGB Lt Col... He still has a TS/SCI... (he was on MSG duty when he met her...)

But if he didn't have a problem, then neither should you as long as you are on the up and up with everything.