• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Security Clearance In Order to Be A Naval Aviator (NOTE: for REAL Navy flyers only)

bubbagump

Coo-coo for cocopuffs
I apologize. K? I mean, I also liked helos, but back when I was WAY young when I wanted to join the Army and fly Apaches, but now, I've joined the Navy and liked jets and the thought of catapulting off a carrier at a high speed even more. I'll say this over again: I did not mean to trash talk on the 60s.

Just sayin'. A lot of folks want to fly jets. Most of them don't get to.

das

Contributor
Here are the "Adjudicative Guidelines for Determining Eligibility for Access to Classified Information". This is the authoritative source:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/isoo/guidelines.html

This is a very methodical process, and those are the guidelines used. And as others said, a parent who is not a US citizen does not disqualify you from TS/SCI, and you may not even need that clearance, depending on many factors.

In short, don't panic.

Edit: The above link is a link to the Federation of American Scientists web site. The link, however, does represent the current (29 DEC 05) general adjudicative guidelines for access to classified information.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not sure if this was the case a few years ago, but they are currently initiating TS/SCI investigations for all Tailhook students. You actually submit the paperwork before you even start T-45 ground school. Just a little FYI

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here are the "Adjudicative Guidelines for Determining Eligibility for Access to Classified Information". This is the authoritative source:

http://www.fas.org/sgp/isoo/guidelines.html

This is a very methodical process, and those are the guidelines used. And as others said, a parent who is not a US citizen does not disqualify you from TS/SCI, and you may not even need that clearance, depending on many factors.

In short, don't panic.
Bad citation. That is a link to the Federation of American Scientists website, and is not the authoritative source. It references a 2005 document.

Visit the Navy Security website. It is the authoritative portal for handling security investigations for US Navy personnel. I was a Command Security Manager and handled these requests and those that ended up marrying foreign nationals that required a Foreign Exception Package to be submitted to retain their clearance eligibility. All requests are sent through DONCAF for adjudication. Having a family member that is not a US Citizen is not a show stopper, there are just other checks that have to be made during your investigation. Right now you probably have a Secret clearance eligibility as an Aviation Electrician, with a NACLC background check. That in and of itself would make you eligible to begin any Aviation pipeline training for a 13XX series designator. Now, down the road in training, depending on WHICH platorm and community you go to, you would require to do your job a higher access. By default, usually in Advanced training, or just prior, student aviators update and submit an SSBI to complete their clearance eligibility for TS.

You can look at Appendix G for Adjudication Guidelines:

FOREIGN INFLUENCE
The Concern: A security risk may exist when an individual's
immediate family, including cohabitants and other persons to
whom he or she may be bound by affection, influence, or
obligation are not citizens of the United States or may be
subject to duress. These situations could create the potential
for foreign influence that could result in the compromise of
classified information. Contacts with citizens of other
countries or financial interests in other countries are also
relevant to security determinations if they make an individual
potentially vulnerable to coercion, exploitation, or pressure.
Conditions that could raise a security concern and may be
disqualifying include:
a. An immediate family member, or a person to whom the
individual has close ties of affection or obligation, is a
citizen of, or resident or present in, a foreign country;
b. Sharing living quarters with a person or persons,
regardless of their citizenship status, if the potential for
adverse foreign influence or duress exists;
c. Relatives, cohabitants, or associates who are connected
with any foreign government;
d. Failing to report, where required, associations with
foreign nationals;
e. Unauthorized association with a suspected or known
collaborator or employee of a foreign intelligence service;
f. Conduct that may make the individual vulnerable to
coercion, exploitation, or pressure by a foreign government;
g. Indications that representatives or nationals from a
foreign country are acting to increase the vulnerability of the
individual to possible future exploitation, coercion or
pressure; or
h. A substantial financial interest in a country, or in any
foreign owned or operated business that could make the
individual vulnerable to foreign influence.

Conditions that could mitigate security concerns include
:
a. A determination that the immediate family member(s),
(spouse, father, mother, sons, daughters, brothers, sisters),
cohabitant, or associate(s) in question are not agents of a
foreign power or in a position to be exploited by a foreign
power in a way that could force the individual to choose between
loyalty to the person(s) involved and the United States;
b. Contact with foreign citizens is the result of official
United States Government business,
c. Contact and correspondence with foreign citizens are
casual and infrequent,
d. The individual has promptly complied with existing
agency requirements regarding the reporting of contacts,
requests, or threats from persons or organizations from a
foreign country, or
e. Foreign financial interests are minimal and not
sufficient to affect the individual's security responsibilities.

Excerpt from SECNAV 5510.3 on why foreign connections are a concern:

3-8 FOREIGN CONNECTIONS
1. A security risk may exist when an individual's immediate
family, including cohabitants and other persons to whom the
individual is bound by affection or obligation, are not citizens of the United States. Having a financial interest in a foreign country may also present a security risk.
2. The personnel security adjudicative process requires an
examination of a sufficient amount of information regarding an
individual to determine whether the individual is an acceptable security risk. The assessment of risk due to the individual's relationship with foreign nationals and foreign entities is a part of the personnel security adjudicative process.
3. All personnel with established security clearance
eligibility are required to report foreign connections to their security manager. Security managers must report these issues and coordinate resolution with DON CAF, as appropriate.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure if this was the case a few years ago, but they are currently initiating TS/SCI investigations for all Tailhook students. You actually submit the paperwork before you even start T-45 ground school. Just a little FYI
That's because it is a long process; when I went through, there were issue with getting clearances done because people were starting the paperwork after getting soft-winged. And believe me; they DO check your sources on this one.

Remember that there is a difference between having a clearance and being authorized to view material. You can have a TS/SCI and no access to Top Secret or even Secret material, because you have no need to know.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's because it is a long process; when I went through, there were issue with getting clearances done because people were starting the paperwork after getting soft-winged. And believe me; they DO check your sources on this one.
Time lines to process investigations have dropped considerably since the overloading of the system post 9/11. 3-4 months is a working average for the investigators to handle and submit to DONCAF for adjudication. There is always the possibility that incomplete information was submitted and the package gets kicked back, or an LOI is sent to the command/individual for action to answer any derogatory information.

Remember that there is a difference between having a clearance and being authorized to view material. You can have a TS/SCI and no access to Top Secret or even Secret material, because you have no need to know.
So true!! DONCAF only determines ELIGIBILITY. It is up to the CO to either grant access for Secret or TS, or request SCI access through the regional SSO for a member of the command. In some cases billets are limited. As always, NEED TO KNOW, and controlling access are the keys.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You can have a TS/SCI and no access to Top Secret or even Secret material, because you have no need to know.

Ah yes, a good reminder of how the sayings "just because you can doesn't mean you should" and "mind your business" apply to the world of handling classified information.

clearance + need to know = access

And for the young'uns SCI stands for "sensitive compartmented information" (self-explanatory term).

das

Contributor
Bad citation. That is a link to the Federation of American Scientists website, and is not the authoritative source.

I'm aware that is the FAS site, and what FAS is.

That document is what is authoritative. Those are the current adjudicative guidelines used across all USG elements for access to classified information. Individual agencies or services may augment with their own additional requirements, but they must also follow those guidelines.

It references a 2005 document.

That is also still the current document, and is more recent than SECNAV M-5510.30. For example, see the DOD-wide memo Implementation of Adjudicative Guidelines for Determining Eligibility For Access to Classified Information (December 29, 2005). The Navy also implemented this guidance, effective 12 SEP 06.

SECNAV M-5510.30 (JUN 06) actually describes the older guidance. For example, the 29 DEC 05 adjudicative guidelines removed some of the "immediate family" language as part of the government's efforts to streamline the clearance process and not unnecessarily disqualify persons because a parent was not a US citizen.

See CNO Memorandum 6U871220 (12 SEP 06) with instructions for "immediate implementation" of the 29 DEC 05 adjudicative guidelines and the notice that "[t]hese guidelines will be incorporated in the next revision of the SECNAV Manual 5510.30". In other words, SECNAV M-5510.30 (JUN 06) is outdated.

The document I originally posted represents the correct and current guidance, and supersedes SECNAV M-5510.30 (JUN 06). The family language in Appendix G, Section B, "Foreign Influence" is stricken, as is the explanation in 3-8, which drew from the older adjudicative guidelines on why foreign family members are a concern. The current language references the more general "contact with a foreign family member".

In short, the original poster would have had more difficulties and more mitigation work before the 29 DEC 05 guidelines were implemented across DOD, including the Navy, on 12 SEP 06.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
I'm aware that is the FAS site, and what FAS is.

That document is what is authoritative. Those are the etc. etc. etc.

While I'm sure that contains a lot of really applicable information, my eyes were bleeding after the first three lines. Can we please get back to the new Maverick wannabe trashing helos? I mean, no one even commented on his reference to making a Manga series from Top Gun. If you're unsure what that is, Google it...at a computer far, far away from work.

By the way, "Maverick", I realize that you weren't trying to offend anyone, but you're an F-ing moron and douchebag. Excuse me if that offends you. It's certainly not my intention.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I mean, no one even commented on his reference to making a Manga series from Top Gun...

Shit. I was hoping I dreamed that.

Filling out the info on getting a clearance with foreign relatives for other, wiser hopefuls who use the search function, and who may be wondering about this topic.

For this particular guy: not to crush your dreams or anything, but seriously - you sound like you're about 12. I want my very own F-18? I'd hate to have to fly choppers? I want to make a manga based on Top Gun? You're not demonstrating the maturity or knowledge that would make most of us here think you'll get into, and complete, a commissioning program or the flight program.

And if we're all wrong and you're just a nerd and you make it into the Program...for the love of all that's holy, for your own sake and your squadron's reputation, keep your love of Top Gun to yourself. Forever.

das

Contributor
While I'm sure that contains a lot of really applicable information, my eyes were bleeding after the first three lines. Can we please get back to the new Maverick wannabe trashing helos? I mean, no one even commented on his reference to making a Manga series from Top Gun. If you're unsure what that is, Google it...at a computer far, far away from work.

I believe the current adjudicative guidelines actually disqualify a person if they say things like they want to make a Manga series from Top Gun.

Though I believe we can all be happy that he didn't say he wanted to make a Hentai series from Top Gun... ;-)