• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SECNAV to Implement Sweeping Changes

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The answer to this is to use the reserves - in the form of a Squadron Augment Unit - as your long term experience base. It works fantastic in the Training Command. Reservists do not count towards active duty manning so it does not clog up the pipeline with a large number of flying only O-3's / O-4's that others are suggesting. (Quite a few of the reservists were in the squadron 10+ years.) Reserves also allow you to increase / decrease manning as required. Reserve personnel costs are also less as we do not draw retirement / medical until age 60. Finally, reservists come with both the experience base of having been there / done that as a company grade officer while also having a broader perspective of aviation that military only bubbas do not.

+1 and I think I said this same thing.

Someone asked in a previous post, "Isn't that what the Reserves are for?" I would submit that right now the Navy has no idea what the Reserves are for. Is it a strategic reserve? Is it a body pool for mobilizations? Because in recent years, Big Navy and Big NavRes have said it's neither of those things, yet act like it's both and somehow neither.

Nobody asked me, but what it ought to be is a body of long-service instructors and tactical and technical experts. Expanding and modifying the SAU construct would allow us to keep guys around and get better value for our training dollars - both because we keep that guy around and productive in the plane longer than he would have been otherwise, and because his training and experience is passed on to the new guys. There needs to be a mix of both old blood and new, and yes, you'd need to make sure that the permanent instructor cadre guys are contributing, not just hanging around for the paycheck, not to mention effective screening and selection in the first place.

The thing is, this is pretty much how SAUs and most ResRons function already. They're a mix of active duty, FTS and SelRes. A lot of them have SelRes who've been hanging around as O-4s for a decade or more. This is really talking about formalizing, funding and optimizing what already exists. For example, an O-4 in an Adversary squadron flies a lot, knows the tactics and rules and how best to do the business. Yet as a selres, he has to find a way to commute to Key West or Fallon, and may abruptly find his drill money cut off for the next quarter. Why not make that guy a GS-12 and move him there full time?

However, the reality is Reserve Naval Aviation is dying by a thousand papercuts, plus a few vicious machete swings. Not only are we not making better use of the reserves, we're slowly smothering what we do have to death.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm not just talking about one guy. I'm talking about manning being aligned with a deployment cycle in such a way that you get something like 50-60% crew turnover in a short span. The vast majority of those guys are going to be an influx of unqualified sailors, and the rest are guys who have just spent 2 years-ish on shore duty and may be coming from another platform. Suddenly the CO takes the boat to sea and the crew can't figure out how to route a hose in a fire drill in under 5 minutes (the standard is two), not to mention the pressures it puts on the watchbill when you have several guys standing port and starboard - which of course leads to the qualification standards being lowered so that the watchbill can get manned again.

It's not something that can't be rectified with some (or lots) of extra training - after all the aforementioned quote about the Navy's masterful design - but it does leave me scratching my head asking if this really is the best way to supposedly maximize warfighting effectiveness.
I think manning being aligned with the deployment/maintenance cycle is a feature and not a bug, especially where pig boats are concerned since you can't COD/VOD guys off in the middle of a deployment like other ships and squadrons can. This way, you train your crew through workups and everyone is a cohesive unit. Then you come home and head in to the yards for SRA or whatever subs have and the ship gets cut open. When the sand crabs are doing their work the ship doesn't need "warfighting effectiveness" and even if experienced Sailors weren't rotated out, they'd just be sitting around collecting a paycheck while doing nothing or being given make work jobs for the yard period. Their proficiency, currency (foreign language to boat guys), and experience would be lost while they sit in the yards so the unit would not be as effective as it once was when it returned to see after the yard period. Rotating in new Sailors affords them the opportunity to get up to speed during the IDTC and to be fully trained and ready once it's time to go to see.

In the FDNF and expeditionary squadron world, you lose guys in dribs and drabs vice one big group. So every patrol/det is sent out with a mix of experienced and green guys. Worked pretty well for us and we always had more than enough bodies to fill out real watchbills. But we also didn't get the benefits of 2-4mo of workups.

Also, pulling on the staffs or other ships happens a lot. We'd occasionally get our watch bills augmented by Staff Officers. When the LSD next to us had to go provide relief service to the Phillipines and we were stuck in SRA we sent a bunch of useful bodies over to their hull. They knew they were going to do more air ops than they were manned for so we sent a 1310 LT to be their Air Boss and some ABs to run their flight deck full time. We also sent over some JOs to supplement their watch bills. That way their watch bills were good to go for a contingent operation and we got the added benefit of getting our JOs more sea time. All this happened because we had experienced officers on staff to see the need and know the resources at hand.

Now, if something absolutely had to happen due to World War III, the Navy could always bring guys back from shore so the ship could go to sea. Or workups would be curtailed and you'd have to hope for the best.

And it's not just the crew: the Navy spends a lot of time molding officers for command at sea, and then our window for that is a whole 24 months nominal. No ability for COs who like or are good at being boat COs to repeat the job; it's onto staff tours on the golden path to commodore or get out.
I don't see why this is a bad thing. COs prove their mettle and then bring their experience with them to the next job to ensure that the higher levels are filled with experienced people who understand the needs of the fleet. Right now, you're guaranteed to have an ISIC that understands what he's asking his units to do and understands how the operate. Seems like a pretty decent system to me. The experience remains within the institution and can be used to mentor and lead those who are still garnering this experience.

You misunderstand me, then. I'm not talking about guys rotating to instructor duty, I'm talking about guys being shown the door. In the Army and USMC, guys who are being told "thanks for serving 3 tours in Afghanistan or Iraq, but we're going to separate you now." Or, in the case of Naval aviation, 'thanks for ~11 years of service that led to EP fitreps, but we're only going to promote half of eligible 1310s so have a good life.'

Ok so those guys weren't good enough to make a promotion cut, but that means that they're no good to keep doing the job they are in? We need to instead replace him with another guy that needs to be trained to that point?

So, on a personal level I'm a 2xFOS guy who was shown the door after 11yrs of service. But I didn't leave with some sort of secret sauce recipe that the fleet could truly benefit from. Sure I had a decent amount of hours and some time testing future capabilities, but my experiences weren't so specialized that the next guy couldn't figure them just as well if not better (probably the latter). When I left USS LAST SHIP the guy who took over as Mini was going to be fine. We had different styles but the Ship and Sailors were going to be OK. While I like to think I was a pretty good tester and a pretty good Mini Boss there's no way I would have wanted to keep doing those jobs ad nauseum. I loved my test tour but I eventually got reasonably good at the work and then got bored. After three years I was looking forward to a new challenge. Same with being the Mini. I loved the job but I couldn't imagine having to stay past 18-24 months. I had learned a lot at both jobs and if I had stayed in to be a DH and DET OIC I would not have felt unprepared or daunted because my prior jobs had done a good job providing me with OJT for the next one.

If the Navy had said "you can either leave or stay an O-3 for life," I would have said, "good bye" without hesitation. There's no way I wanted to keep doing the same job without any personal growth or challenge. Of course, the Navy still has access to my experience vis a vis the Reserves. In the event of a major war the Navy could pull me from the IRR and have a pretty good idea that I could contribute again with minimal training.

On a non-personal level, the organization needs to be able to work their own manning levels to match up with the funding stream. I'm sure someone somewhere had done the cost-benefit analysis to keeping these guys around vice letting them go and the numbers don't work. The Navy isn't and shouldn't be a make work program.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
From the guy who's sweeping generalizations/maligning comments about passed over officers was the final straw that led to longtime AW members leaving and our startup of the other site.

Who's -/=/- whose.

Did you ever consider the fact that it wasn't the individuals themselves, but instead the incessant vilification of anyone who didn't share the "F you, F the navy. F the world" attitude?

More than happy to continue this via PM, if you must.

Last edited:

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
I am sure there are some who do a have a broad base of knowledge but I have run into many who don't. I have never seen one at a large-force exercise and rarely at a CAOC or at other forums/locations/units/staffs where they would gain 'bigger picture' experience that is normal for USAF, USMC and Navy aviators at the O-5/6 level.

I disagree, I think it is a really big problem for the Army and the fact that a CWO5 has more experience than the Generals who are aviators exemplifies it. I have seen a distinct lack of knowledge and appreciation for aviation as a whole at the mid-to-senior levels and part of the reason is that there are few folks at that level who have an aviation background compounded by the fact that those who do lack the experience their CWO's have. The general lack of knowledge when it came to aviation by otherwise very sharp, combat-experienced Army O-5/6's and above I have worked with was always a surprise to me.

It is also a factor when dealing with other services. CWO's haven't been the folks assigned to do the staff/center/etc work when the Army did play, it was the O-5/6 aviators who usually only had some of the experience their USAF/USMC/Navy counterparts had and were not the same experts their CWO's or other service counterparts were. This often resulted in a poorer information flow from the Army when it did play.

Finally as a service I think it has also harmed Army aviation program management with the RAH-66, ARH-70 and the Aerial Common Sensor suffering as a result.

I didn't say the Army way of doing things was corrosive, but it can be. I think the key phrase above is "A smart warrant", while I assume the majority of your CWO's are 'smart' I imagine just like everywhere else there are some that aren't. The balance of seniority and experience in our senior officers in the Navy ameliorates the impact of that though, a system more similar to the Army's would not.

I think a few years in the Army would change your opinion quite a bit. I agree with a lot of what you say, but spending time with guys who are in the Army is not the same as actually being in the Army. I agree, the absence of CW5s in joint positions is a disadvantage, but within the Army, CW5s and CW4s do a great job in those roles you mentioned.

Regarding the failed procurement programs you mentioned, the Army doesn't own those types of failures exclusively. Having seasoned O5/O6s in charge in other services hasn't led to overwhelming success.

The warrant program in the Army actually works more than you might think like the mid to upper grade commissioned programs in other services . CW4s and CW5s with the "command presence" move out of their airframe specific roles and advise at much higher levels. Those without the desire for upward mobility stick to their airframes and flying. Those who do poorly in the aircraft never track and never get qualified as maintenance, safety, TACOPS or IP. They are LUCKY to even make CW3. Because of the higher high year tenure and prior enlisted time some, but not all, can stick around for a retirement.

A warrant officer type approach might work in the Navy if it was ever given a real chance. But the Navy hasn't given it a real chance lately.

Bottom line? I have experience in both services and just want to clarify what actually does happen in the Army. I am not saying it will work in the Navy. I just think that if the Army system is going to be brought up in this discussion, it is only meaningful if someone sheds some light on what it is that the Army warrants actually do. Firsthand knowledge and experience is way more valuable than anecdotal evidence.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Villification? Slurs?

I hold no ill will towards those on the path, off the path, somewhere in between, or anyone, really. Everyone who's here has chosen to serve, and that's admirable.

When people talk about improving the system, it's not because of bitterness - it's out of a genuine desire to see an org that we know and, yes, love, improve.

Coming back to the point about whether or not the Navy needs the best and brightest - I'm asking that out of concern for personnel costs. The concept of national service will take recruiting and retention efforts pretty far, and indeed very far in times of war or national crisis.

Absent that, there needs to be a value proposition for recruiting, and that cost is going to be very high for the best and brightest. Put another way, the civilian world is going to pay and compensate the best and brightest at a high level - so absent the service and "see the world" carrots, can the Navy afford to compete in that arena? Should it do so?

As Pags pointed out, no, we don't have to do so to make the Navy work, and indeed work well. But when we act like we need the best and the brightest, recruit them, then wail/gnash teeth when they leave... well, at some point you have to examine the underlying assumptions.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
This happens everywhere already. A new Navy RS still needs to establish a cumulative average so as to be able to break out the really, really good EP players from the just good ones. Better to start at a 3.5 and have room to reward the rare superstar than start at 4.2 and jam yourself by being Santa Claus. Boards, at least as I've been briefed, will look at the RS's cumulative average for just that reason. What I'm asking is why, then, if that is available as a discriminator, do we insist on also ranking people amongst their immediate peers? What value is added? Their demonstrated ability and potential (or lack thereof) is already captured in the GPA. The Marines go one further and use a pyramid like so:

View attachment 14842

Granted, theirs is done by a second reviewer, which is a separate discussion. But either way, it seems to me to eliminate the "who got the EP" question? Who gives a shit? The CO ranked all of you according to everyone he's ever seen, and chances are you might not be the tippy-top, and that's fine. Have two DHs who are future COs? Rank them #1 and #2 ever that you've seen. Done. No writeup shenanigans necessary to parse the forced MP game. Guy's a shitbird? There's still ample room to take out the trash. No need to rank amongst a small subset of the LTs in the fleet if more than one is an EP player, or if none are. And if the CO fires a DH or has a shitty JOPA, there's no chance that he/she might feel obligated to slot the other one into the EP slot "because there's no one else." Rank 'em at the bottom of the big pack where they belong.

Let's remember that fitreps are the COs letter to the board telling them who is promotable, not a report card. The only relevant way to communicate that in the up and out system is with direct comparisons to other officers in that peer group. Even with a strong or weak class, the CO still has to recommend who the Navy should keep and who should go. Telling them that they have 8/10 officers in the 85th percentile doesn't do any good when the board only gets to select 65% of officers for promotion (I obviously have it scaled down, but you get the idea). LT Smith is better than a LT you rated 2 years ago? Not relevant to BUPERS, that guy already went to board.

You also run into perception issues with Navy wide rankings - a boat CO really has no idea how officers on USS Other Ship are performing, so the standards will not always be the same with your system.

Your system would work only if the Navy did away with the mandatory promote or separate, in which case rankings to the entire pool of people in grade becomes more relevant.

One simple change they should make is to go back to the 10 point rating system from WW2 instead of the 5 point system. It gives COs better resolution to break people apart and gives the board a better idea of where people stand...particularly because the current system is essentially a 3 point scale.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Your system would work only if the Navy did away with the mandatory promote or separate, in which case rankings to the entire pool of people in grade becomes more relevant
Could be coming sooner than you think...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Who's -/=/- whose.

Did you ever consider the fact that it wasn't the individuals themselves, but instead the incessant vilification of anyone who "had a yes man, I believe in the stupid politically correct bullshit" attitude?

More than happy to continue this via PM, if you must.
Bullshit. We vilified the brainless politically correct dribble from the yes men who instantly thought any stupid idea had to be absolutely perfect because it came from Big Navy or Big Government. We vilified the contiuned pussification of military leadership and the zero defect mentality.

Last edited:

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Pags, thanks for the detailed response.

I think manning being aligned with the deployment/maintenance cycle is a feature and not a bug, especially where pig boats are concerned since you can't COD/VOD guys off in the middle of a deployment like other ships and squadrons can. This way, you train your crew through workups and everyone is a cohesive unit. Then you come home and head in to the yards for SRA or whatever subs have and the ship gets cut open. When the sand crabs are doing their work the ship doesn't need "warfighting effectiveness" and even if experienced Sailors weren't rotated out, they'd just be sitting around collecting a paycheck while doing nothing or being given make work jobs for the yard period. Their proficiency, currency (foreign language to boat guys), and experience would be lost while they sit in the yards so the unit would not be as effective as it once was when it returned to see after the yard period. Rotating in new Sailors affords them the opportunity to get up to speed during the IDTC and to be fully trained and ready once it's time to go to see.
Here's the thing: of the incident reports we had to study during quals, almost every single one...every one... pointed to watchteam inexperience as a root cause to a mishap. So we're talking about inexperience costing the taxpayers hundreds of millions in repairs, loss of life, and loss of operational readiness.

Does it happen often? Thankfully not. But aside from the cost of training sailors to replace ones that are already trained, and the pain of making the crew work extra hours to get proficient at the bare basics, we have incurred the cost of mishaps that, according to the IG investigations, would not have happened had the watchteam had more experience. You get phrases like 'the OOD was qualified for 6 months...' as if we're supposed to gasp at an officer who has apparently been onboard doing a job for 18-22 months is supposed to be incapable of driving the ship without the CO standing over his shoulder. Where the IG stops short is that they don't acknowledge that there is no one else that is more experienced. Boats don't have super JOs to stick on watch when doing a tough strait transit at PD. On ustafish we had one officer (who was not the XO or CO) who had deployment experience standing OOD on mission. He can't be on watch 24/7. I would argue that it takes more than a deployment to get proficient at taking a ship out on mission, especially when (in my case) the CO was a guy who spent his DH and XO tour on boomers. And it's not just the submarine force - there are plenty of threads on here where the peanut gallery comments that SWOs are not as good at ship driving as they ought to be. But that's all we get at each stage of our career, if that - one deployment and it's time to go to the next career milestone. If you don't make the cut then you are shown the door.

My overall point is that I think the Navy can benefit from having JOs and DHs who can competently handle driving the boat instead of pushing everything up to the CO. The Navy could benefit from having COs who have done more than a deployment in command at sea. The job isn't the hardest in the world to do, but I don't think it's so easy that 6-12 months of deployment experience before taking command is enough.

On the subject of sand crabs: I think that we ought to turn the ship entirely over to the shipyard, and the crew goes to man whatever boat is coming out next. There is very little, if any, added value to having the crew onboard while the ship is in a depot availability. If anything, we get in the way and cost hundreds of thousands of lost man-hours to workers who actually get paid for working overtime.

So, on a personal level I'm a 2xFOS guy who was shown the door after 11yrs of service. But I didn't leave with some sort of secret sauce recipe that the fleet could truly benefit from...
Again, I'm not coming from the argument that one guy is so fantastic that the service can't afford to lose him. I'm not even coming from the 'gain and maintain the best and the brightest.' I'm coming from the argument that it is a poor use of resources to replace him just because the systems says so. I would like to just retain the average Joe who is content to be a MM3 or LTJG for 20 years and can be relied upon to handle an engineering casualty because he has been doing the job for 10, 12, whatever years.

I will counter your anecdotal evidence with one from my brother who serves as a police officer. He recently took the sergeant exam but said he didn't want the promotion. I naturally asked him why not. He said that a promotion would lead to him being transferred to another precinct beyond his control, which could be up to 2 hours from where he currently lives. He could be put on straight midnights. He will go from being on the street to mostly sitting behind a desk getting pinged about the few officers who think they can show up without shaving and read the paper for 8 hours. In short, he likes his job, his precinct, and is satisfied with his pay. He doesn't need stripes or railroad tracks to feel good about himself. So that's where he is staying. No one is going to say 'it's civil SERVICE, how dare you look out for yourself' in response to him expressing a desire to stay put. At the end of the day it is his career and he gets paid to do it.

So why is it not possible for the military to do a same thing? If you're happy being a division officer and want to stay put, why not? Being an integrated part of a local community makes the deployment pill easier to swallow when it comes to wife and children. The biggest reason not to that I can think of is that when the bullets start flying then there needs to be a system to keep the flow of people (and ships) coming. So the lazy solution is to artificially mandate attrition so that the system can handle it in wartime, similar to how the government pays to keep production facilities open just in case. But I think that there's a better way to do it that would cost the taxpayer less money and make us more effective in the long run.

Last edited:

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Looks like new BCA regs will be on the street soon (Monday maybe). If these would have been released a week earlier, we would not have lost three sailors.

jtmedli

pilot
@ Dodge: What you're proposing would completely upend how a squadron is manned - fewer JOs, more top heavy, unscreened O4s and O5s in the mix. Sounds like what some reserve squadrons are like.

I think what he's referring to is letting LTs stay LTs and re-route them back to a fleet squadron or instructor billets vice just handing their walking papers if they don't pick up DH. Every system has it's downfalls, but for a bunch of people who bitch about "not having enough money" and "different pots of money", we need a system that saves us some money and experienced people in the process of doing it. Other countries do it because they don't have the budget for wasting people and money and time to train, so why can't we adapt to the times?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they had been in regs, it wouldn't matter.

I agree that standards are standards, but when everyone up to and including the SecNav has admitted that the Navy tape system measures bf % neither accurately or scientifically... It's like rough-estimating the length of your run course with a pedometer, then kicking dudes out for being five seconds over the run time.

Yeah, it's better if you're well within standards and don't have to sweat it no matter what, but that's not the point. If you're setting a standard and expecting people to meet that standard - to the point of booting them if they don't - then you owe it to them to at least measure their performance accurately.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Dude, I don't even know how to reply to that. The old "regs" on BCA were never an adequate way to measure fitness levels. It's nice to see someone trying to fix a broken system instead of just drinking the cool aid. The system was broke and needed to get fixed. Instead of seeing that, and trying to be part of a solution, you continue to be part of the problem. Let me guess, there is nothing wrong with our promotion system or retention either, right? Damn man, how long does this cycle have to go on? Well, people treated me like shit when I was new and I made it through, so now I get to treat the new guys like shit. Wake up and smell the coffee burning.