• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SECNAV Criticizes 'Blueberries'

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, but are you not refering to the desert tan boots? I believe that the brown boots in question were the traditional chocolate brown leather boots of Naval Aviation history.

We have both. In my squadron, we'd wear brown leather with green flightsuits and desert boots with desert bags. Different squadrons/MAGs do it differently.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All the Marines in my airwing wore the "chocolate brown leather boots of NA history."
We have both. In my squadron, we'd wear brown leather with green flightsuits and desert boots with desert bags. Different squadrons/MAGs do it differently.
No shit? All I have ever seen my nephew wear is desert boots. Well then, learning has been accomplished. Another satisfied AW customer.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Agree with Squeeze, and his post actually reminded me of all the hate and discontent that came with changing from tri-color patterns to MARPAT. It wasn't all "Hooray for new uniforms to look different from the other services," it was more like a lot of "F*** this I'm wearing the starched, creased cammies until the last possible day."

There was a long period where you would only see a few guys wearing MARPAT and they looked ridiculously out of place (then at the end, everyone was wearing MARPAT and the old cammies looked out of place).

Renegade One

None
Which makes me think of a question I had.....why is it that N7 doesn't wear brown boots? Is it tradition? That was my guess, being born in an earlier day where perhaps they weren't worn (I don't recall seeing any brown boots in my dad's cruise boxes from the 1960's/70's, just brown shoes)
N7 = TOPGUN.
Well, N7 means different things to different people…hence my question above.
On the CNO's Staff, N6/N7 is "Warfare Requirements and Programs"
On the CFFC Staff, it's "Director, Fleet Joint Training"
By Navy Doctrine (very generically), the N7 is the "Training Directorate"
At NSAWC, I guess it's the current version of NFWS, albeit a department and no longer an independent command…which was your point, and MIDNJAC's as well.

I'm shocked…SHOCKED…to see that NSAWC N7 disregards current flight ensemble regs by wearing light blue T-shirts and light brown name tags… ;)

I can only assume that George was right: "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Agree with Squeeze, and his post actually reminded me of all the hate and discontent that came with changing from tri-color patterns to MARPAT. It wasn't all "Hooray for new uniforms to look different from the other services," it was more like a lot of "F*** this I'm wearing the starched, creased cammies until the last possible day."

There was a long period where you would only see a few guys wearing MARPAT and they looked ridiculously out of place (then at the end, everyone was wearing MARPAT and the old cammies looked out of place).

"In breaking news this evening, the sun rose this morning and Marines are resistant to change."

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Well, N7 means different things to different people…hence my question above.
On the CNO's Staff, N6/N7 is "Warfare Requirements and Programs"
On the CFFC Staff, it's "Director, Fleet Joint Training"
By Navy Doctrine (very generically), the N7 is the "Training Directorate"
At NSAWC, I guess it's the current version of NFWS, albeit a department and no longer an independent command…which was your point, and MIDNJAC's as well.

I'm shocked…SHOCKED…to see that NSAWC N7 disregards current flight ensemble regs by wearing light blue T-shirts and light brown name tags… ;)

I can only assume that George was right: "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

The current regs have a blurb that allows them to keep their light blue shirts. They are no more equal than anyone else.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

R1,
The regulations have a special NSAWC clause:
UNCLASSIFIED//

ATTENTION INVITED TO

ROUTINE

R 182102Z MAY 12 PSN 211438K19

FM CNO WASHINGTON DC

TO NAVADMIN
ZEN//OU=DOD/OU=NAVY/OU=ADDRESS LISTS(UC)/CN=AL NAVADMIN(UC)

INFO ZEN/CNO WASHINGTON DC

BT
UNCLAS

SUBJ: UNIFORM BOARD UPDATE
UNCLASSIFIED/
PASS TO ALL OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
TO NAVADMIN
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
UNCLAS //N01020//
NAVADMIN 164/12

MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/MAY//

SUBJ/UNIFORM BOARD UPDATE//

REF/A/DOC/NAVPERS 15665I/01JAN03//
REF/B/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/301439ZAUG11//
REF/C/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/022305ZDEC11//
REF/D/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/261511ZJUN09//
NARR/REF A IS U.S. NAVY UNIFORM REGULATIONS. REF B IS NAVADMIN 259/11.
REF C IS NAVADMIN 366/11. REF D IS NAVADMIN 186/09.

4. THIS POLICY APPLIES TO ONE-PIECE FLIGHT SUITS ONLY.
THIS DECISION UPDATES THE MANNER AND OCCASION FOR WEAR POLICIES CONTAINED IN
REFS A AND C.
(1) OCCASION FOR WEAR:
(A) GREEN FLIGHT SUITS WILL BE THE PRIMARY FLIGHT SUIT WORN IN
CONUS.
(B) TAN FLIGHT SUITS WILL ONLY BE WORN IN CONUS IN HOT WEATHER
ENVIRONMENTS (FALLON, EL CENTRO, CHINA LAKE, LEMOORE, ETC.) AS AUTHORIZED BY
THE TYCOM.
(2) MANNER OF WEAR.
(A) GREEN FLIGHT SUITS WILL BE WORN WITH EITHER BLACK OR NWU TYPE
I BLUE UNDERSHIRTS WITH THE EXCEPTION OF BLUE ANGELS (RETAIN SIGNATURE BLUE
FLIGHT SUITS/YELLOW UNDERSHIRT) AND NAVAL STRIKE AND AIR WARFARE CENTER
(NSAWC)(RETAIN LIGHT BLUE UNDERSHIRT)
. UNDERSHIRTS SHALL BE 100 PERCENT
COTTON, CREW NECK AND PLAIN FRONT.
(B) TAN FLIGHT SUITS WILL BE WORN WITH BROWN, 100 PERCENT COTTON
UNDERSHIRTS. UNDERSHIRTS SHALL BE CREW NECK AND PLAIN FRONT.
(C) FLIGHT SUITS INSIGNIA/PATCHES. INSIGNIA/PATCHES SHALL BE WORN
ON FLIGHT SUITS AS FOLLOWS: THE US FLAG PATCH SHALL BE WORN ON THE LEFT ARM
SHOULDER APPROXIMATELY 1 INCH BELOW THE SEAM. A WEAPONS SCHOOL PATCH (IF
AUHTORIZED) SHALL BE WORN ON THE RIGHT SHOULDER ONLY, APPROXIMATELY 1 INCH
BELOW THE SEAM AND OFFICER RANK ON THE SHOULDERS.
ENLISTED PERSONNEL DO NOT WEAR RANK INSIGNIA ON FLIGHT SUITS, BUT RANK SHALL
BE INDICATED ON THE REQUIRED NAMETAG.
(D) OUTER WEAR: BROWN LEATHER JACKET. GREEN NOMEX JACKETS ARE
ONLY AUHTORIZED ON BASE AND AFLOAT.
(E) HEAD GEAR: KHAKI GARRISON CAP FOR OFFICERS AND CHIEFS, BLACK
GARRISON CAP FOR E1-E6. BALLCAPS ARE NOT AUTHORIZED FOR OFF-BASE WEAR.
(3) SINCE FLIGHT SUITS ARE NOT A LIBERTY UNIFORM, CONSUMPTION OF
ALCOHOL WHILE OFF-BASE IS NOT PERMITTED. PER REF A, CHAPTER 1, SECTION 2,
PARAGRAPH 1201.2, THE AREA OR REGIONAL COMMANDER (PER TABLE 1-2-1) MAY FURTHER
RESTRICT UNIFORM POLICY WITHIN THEIR GEOGRAPHIC LIMITS.

11. RELEASED BY VICE ADMIRAL S. R. VAN BUSKIRK, N1.//

BT
NNNN
UNCLASSIFIED//

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor

My favorite part was the hardcore Gunnys who bemoaned the change in uniform to one that was less maintenance-intensive (i.e. no starching/ironing/boot-shining) because they'd no longer be able to tell who the "true professionals" were.:confused:
:D

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Right on!! An enlightened program to standardize covers (or do you all now call them hats?) would be interesting to watch those same said Gunnys if "Big Navy" were they to standardize on the dorky Navy "dixie cup" and have the "new" Marines all wear them. I would pay big money for a front row seat for that event. Those old Gunnys need to get with the program.

Renegade One

None
Right on!! An enlightened program to standardize covers (or do you all now call them hats?) would be interesting to watch those same said Gunnys if "Big Navy" were they to standardize on the dorky Navy "dixie cup" and have the "new" Marines all wear them. I would pay big money for a front row seat for that event. Those old Gunnys need to get with the program.
Cowboys and golfers wear "hats". Military personnel wear "covers"…or berets, but let's no go there….

I'd advise against too much bashing on "old Gunnys"…or "old Chiefs", for that matter... ;)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I still think that each squadron should be able to choose what color t shirt they want to have. It was a matter of squadron pride and I think it looked better, too.