• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seat and Reach

nugget81

pilot
UND has a solid reputation for being one of the best in the aerospace training industry. I chose this school based on its reputation and quality of training. Are there little quirks in the program that just don't make sense? Sure, but you'll find that in any Part 141 environment. Overall I'm very happy with the education I've received at UND.

UND has an Army ROTC Helicopter program as well as an Air Force ROTC program.

North Dakota isn't exactly an ideal place to put a flight school. No beaches, no great restaurants, really cold winters (ever see a Piper Warrior leave contrails?). And transferred here from Phoenix--that's twice the pain!

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
fighterpfeif, I've been involved in martial arts for a really long time and pretty flexible. Here are some exercises I've used in the past and also teach others with. As you're standing up, put one leg in front of you and pick your toes up as far as they will go. Then using the elbow on the same side of the body(left leg, left elbow) try to touch your elbow to your toes. Thats impossible, but the motion of doing that gives your hamstrings a good stretch. Hold it for 30 secs and don't hold your breath. After 30 secs, switch legs and repeat. Your back leg will be perpendicular to the front one and directly behind the front one. Another one is to sit on the floor and reach out as far as you can. Grab your leg where you stop and hold again for about 30 secs. Make sure your legs are flat and no bending of the knees(thats counterproductive). To keep your spine straight, look forward, not down at your legs. After 30 secs , get up, relax for about 10 secs and repeat, this time, trying to reach just a little further than before. Another version of this is to sit with your legs open wide and attack each leg by itself. Square your shoulders with the leg in question and repeat the above exercise. Then after getting up and relaxing, reach out as far you can in the middle(or grab your ankles if you so choose) and TRY to put your chin to the floor,not your forehead. Again, this is to keep your spine straight and not give you a false sense of stretching. You can alternate between each leg and the middle for as many times as you feel comfortable. Just remember, flexiblity doesn't come at once. It takes weeks so go slow and don't try to rush it. Having a partner for the sitted stretching is a big help also. The major key to stretching is to not hold your breath. Take a deep gulp of air and exhale as you go into the stretch. Hope these help.

P3 F0

None
For future reference (wish I'd signed up last month), just reference the inst (Opnavinst 6110.1H). According to it, you can't fail if you can't complete the sit and reach. (Encl 7, pps 10 and 11)

"Regardless of level of performance on other events, PRT is failed when members do not achieve "Probationary" performance standard or better for any PRT event (other than sit and reach) unless event is medically waived." (bolding mine).

If anyone ever gives you sh*t, just point him to the inst and make him show you where it says you'll fail if you can't complete the sit and reach.

JIMMY

I had the same problem. I had no idea about the sit and reach, and then I'm told right before the other 3 events that if I cant touch my toes, I'm going to fail the whole thing. I guess it was a good experience having to perform PT under stress;).