• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Seat and Reach

fighterpfeif

I just got Pro rec'd for SNA and went to do the PRT. I passed everything under the minimums except on thing - Seat and Reach. For my entire life I have never, been able to touch my feet standing or sitting.

I understand that if you can't pass the PRT you aren't going into the Navy, but I don't want to lose everything I have worked so hard for over one excerise. I am going to work on getting to the point of completing the sit and reach, but has anyone heard of a special waiver or something else that would exempt me and get my package sent back or am I basically screwed if I can't touch my feet. I need some advise on this.

Thanks

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you have short arms, long legs, or a huge gut?

I'd start stretching my hamstrings as much as I possibly could.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I don't know how it is for OCS, but here you can't fail the PRT because of the sit-and-reach. If you can't do the sit-and-reach it is simply " noted" .

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
I think it just depends upon how strict your command is with the PRT administration. It is part of the "official" PRT, but I haven't done it since OCS......quite a while ago. Some make you do it, some don't. Depends who decides to gnat's-ass it and who doesn't.

Regardless, as mentioned before, I would start stretching and get it taken care of. Of all things to fail a PRT for, you don't want THAT to be it.

fighterpfeif

usnmerritt said:
Regardless, as mentioned before, I would start stretching and get it taken care of. Of all things to fail a PRT for, you don't want THAT to be it.

The first thing I am doing when the Atheltic Training Room opens is go in and get some help. The problem is that I have long legs, within the limits, I passed the anthormetric measurements. I should mention that this is a PRT for entry into BDCP so I don't know if that makes a difference. It just shocked me because I didn't hear about it till I showed up for the PRT.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
quick question: Did they let you "slightly" bend your knees? Because if I'm not mistaken the PRT instruction allows that knees are "slightly" bent. Now, I know that I can't do it with my legs straight out, but with them "slightly" bent I can. So, see how much bend it takes in your knees to touch your toes.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
fighterpfeif said:
The problem is that I have long legs, within the limits, I passed the anthormetric measurements.

I'm 6'4''. It'll be hard at first, but definitely possible.

Also, contrary to what some may have you believe, I had to put forth a pretty good PRT score for BDCP. They aren't looking for you to max it out right away, but if you're going for a competitive program like that you need to make sure you put down the best effort that you can.

That being said, as mentioned before, don't let the thing that fails it for you be the sit and reach. That should be a freebie with the PRT. Not everyone can do it but most should. Those who can't should be able to get it with practice. Your muscles, unless you have some sort of injury preventing you from stretching, will stretch and flex over time and with lots of practice. Before you know it, you'll get it down and wonder why you ever worried. You should be fine.

Good luck.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Like Zab said, stretching your hamstrings will help, but somethinng else that will give you about another inch is this: While sitting w/ your legs out, rotate around your waist to stretch your back. Basically like you're trying to look behind you. If you do that a couple of times (slowly, of course), it helps.

Also, it's not like you have to stay there for a minute. My method is wait until the recorder is right there and make a leap towards by feet w/ my hands. I can touch, "they" are happy, and they move on, about the time that I can't hold it anymore. Probably takes about the same amount of time it took you to read this.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
Okay, I'm going to get laughed at, but here's a couple of ideas:

1. Talk to some martial arts guys. Wushu or kung fu guys are ridiculously flexible, and they usually do their stretching exercises at the beginning of their workouts. See if they'll show you what they do. Even Aikido will get you more flexible, though be careful if they go for the bouncing type stretching (which can work if you're careful and don't really snap into the stretch too hard).

2. Talk to some yoga folks. They're even more crazy flexible.

One thing to consider when you're stretching is to do it in many small increments--if you try and stretch for a minute straight, your muscles will fight it and start getting tighter than they were before you started. If you try and stretch six times for ten seconds each with a little break in between each one, by the end of the sixth set, you'll be looser than you were before. And be warm before you stretch; be just popping a sweat before you start (you're warm and less likely to pull something weird).

I can't do the splits or put myself in the lotus position, but I can touch my heels over the tops of my toes on the sit and reach, and I'm 6' 2".

fighterpfeif

Right now nothing sounds crazy or ridiclous. I might just go to a yoga or martial arts place and get some help. It will suck to get dropped because of this.

Thanks for the help

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
othromas said:
1. Talk to some martial arts guys. Wushu or kung fu guys are ridiculously flexible, and they usually do their stretching exercises at the beginning of their workouts. See if they'll show you what they do. Even Aikido will get you more flexible, though be careful if they go for the bouncing type stretching (which can work if you're careful and don't really snap into the stretch too hard).

Yeah, I forgot about that. When I was doing over commercialized (c'mon, do you really think orange, green and purple belts really exsist?) Tae Kwon Do in Middle School/High School I could lock my fingers and put press my palms to the ground from a standing position. I don't do that any more though.

nugget81

pilot
Whenever we do PRT for BDCP, we never do Sit and Reach. I cannot speak for your command area, but I would be surprised if it was used to determine your eligibility in BDCP.

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
fighterpfeif said:
Right now nothing sounds crazy or ridiclous. I might just go to a yoga or martial arts place and get some help. It will suck to get dropped because of this.
I don't know hardly anything about BDCP, but like the last poster mentioned, I can't imagine this will be something that will DQ you entirely. However, anything that gets you noticed in a negative way usually isn't good, so keep that in mind too.

Do you have to go through OCS if you enter BDCP? I really don't know anything about it. If you do, one of my friends who attended OCS actually did a lot of yoga before coming here; she said it was the best thing she ever did because it taught her how to hold a very uncomfortable position for a long time (i.e., holding a rifle, the upright pushup position, etc.), so you might look into yoga first since it could help more. Just a thought.

fighterpfeif

My package left for FINDOCS today, so the 'issue' is over for now. I would hope that the Navy wouldn't look at my package, which has so far been spotless as far as I know, and DQ me for just the sit and reach. But I have to do this before reporting for OCS, so I am still going to attack this as though it is still a problem. Just got me worked up because I thought: "Shoot I got this far and now I am going to get DQ for something that on my end appears small and insignificant. When will I ever have to touch my toes in the cockpit except to ensure that they are in the proper place and attached?"

By the way, nugget81 what is like flying at UND. We had some folks from UD talk to your people and it sounds that we have a better program in some areas. Say it isn't so?

sounds that we have a better program in some areas. Say it isn't so?

Yeah but UND gots helicopters...right? which, I would rather fly than what we got here. None the less....haha I would rather goto UD for the simply fact that I wouldn't be in N. Dakota. That has got to be a college student's nightmare. No beaches, no big cities, no real tan girls....the list could go on.