• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SEALs on Trial?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has it occurred to you that it was probably the attorney that pushed this story to Fox to stir up support (and donations) for his clients?

That's his job. Advocate for his clients to the fullest legal extent. I guarantee if your butt was in the docket, you'd want a pitbull defense attorney, too. Let's see what the Court-Martial says before rushing to judge.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
That's his job. Advocate for his clients to the fullest legal extent. I guarantee if your butt was in the docket, you'd want a pitbull defense attorney, too. Let's see what the Court-Martial says before rushing to judge.

No doubt. I wasn't condemning him, just pointing out that the indignation over publicizing their names and faces may be misplaced, since the story certainly seems to be pitched as a "WTF is wrong with this case".

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Word that filtered up here into Newport was that when the SEALs turned this guy over to the Iraqi authorities, he complained of assault.

The Iraqis referred the accusation to the U.S. leadership. The Americans are treating this as they would any other allegation of assualt since we are trying to get Iraq to embrace the Rule of Law. If we choose to ignore Laws because they are convienient, then we look like hypocrites.

By declining NJP, the SEALs are allowing the court system (and all the protections therein) to handle this. If it went to NJP, then the SEALs may not be allowed to face thier accuser there. By going to Court Martial then they have the opportunity to impune thier accuser; which shouldn't be difficult since he's a freakin terrorist....

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
These people are not CIA operatives. They are SEALs. They wear uniforms with their names on them along with their warfare devices just like the rest of us. Their identity and job specification in not a fucking national secret. If you want to meet one, just go to The Jewish Mother in Va Beach or Mc P's out in San Dog. They are the guys with muscles wearing cargo pants, t-shirts, and flip flops.

Get a grip folks.

I guess some folks have been watching too many episodes of "The Unit", and reading "Rogue Warrior". Wait, that's what I've been doing... damnit.

Random8145

All those so-called 'news" organizations are very political. Fox News, New York Times, MSNBC, CNN, CBS, ABC, etc...Fox will make sure to point out stuff the others don't or mistakes they make, and they'll point out things Fox won't and mistakes it makes.

East

东部
Contributor
What if, out of courtesy to the SEALs, all detainees in US custody wake up tomorrow morning with a fat lip.

How would the system handle that?

Too bad I also know how 'the world opinion' would...

Reactions: EM1

NUFO06

None
This might start teaching our special operators to take no one alive. This is going along with what Eric Holder was saying when he was asked would we give Osama miranda rights. When he replied "it depends," that seems to be telling about the way forward.

Since when has the NY Times been accused of reporting on the news in a non-bias manner. Of course its seems in recent history no one is reading that paper anyway so what does it matter.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Not sure what to think about this, but it is disturbing that 3 seals were taken out of action and off of the battlefield because of what a terrorist said to the Iraqi forces. I understand that the rule of law must be followed and we are trying to set an example to other nations as well as do a little CYA for our global image; but it seems that we are giving to much credit to the words comming out of the detained terrorists mouths. There have been more than just this story on this subject and it seems as though our legal system and protections are being manipulated and used against us.
I have the utmost respect for those on the ground they deal with decisions I hopefully will never have to make. Its pretty hard to take prisoners from 20k feet.

NUFO06

None
Second above. These guys on the ground are in an incredible situation and they deserve the benefit of the doubt at every corner. Soon every captured terrorist will be saying the same line until we stop giving them credibility.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Second above. These guys on the ground are in an incredible situation and they deserve the benefit of the doubt at every corner. Soon every captured terrorist will be saying the same line until we stop giving them credibility.

A lot of you are putting this into a "why do we believe what the terrorists say" box. I don't know if those are the right assumptions to make. I'm figuring that this goes beyond a simple "he said vs she said" problem. It's unwise (and not particularly helpful) to speculate in a case when the facts aren't known to us.

Brett

magnetfreezer

A lot of you are putting this into a "why do we believe what the terrorists say" box. I don't know if those are the right assumptions to make. I'm figuring that this goes beyond a simple "he said vs she said" problem. It's unwise (and not particularly helpful) to speculate in a case when the facts aren't known to us.

Brett

If there was any more to the story with justification for legitimate charges, etc. wouldn't the SEALs have taken the NJP instead of risking greater punishment (and a criminal record) from a court martial conviction?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If there was any more to the story with justification for legitimate charges, etc. wouldn't the SEALs have taken the NJP instead of risking greater punishment (and a criminal record) from a court martial conviction?

We have no way of knowing that. These are all assumptions people have made. There are lots of good reasons to go the court matial route over NJP. Lack of solid prosecutorial evidence, wanting to prove a point to their CoC, or even to bring publicity into the equation are all possible reasons. As with all things, time will tell, but all of the speculation and chest thumping in this thread is a bit silly, IMO.

Brett

john_doza

Word that filtered up here into Newport was that when the SEALs turned this guy over to the Iraqi authorities, he complained of assault.

The Iraqis referred the accusation to the U.S. leadership. The Americans are treating this as they would any other allegation of assualt since we are trying to get Iraq to embrace the Rule of Law. If we choose to ignore Laws because they are convienient, then we look like hypocrites.

By declining NJP, the SEALs are allowing the court system (and all the protections therein) to handle this. If it went to NJP, then the SEALs may not be allowed to face thier accuser there. By going to Court Martial then they have the opportunity to impune thier accuser; which shouldn't be difficult since he's a freakin terrorist....

Thankfully someone has finally seen past past the big [headlines]

I think this will work out to the advantage of America. If the rest of the world see's that we are willing to go to a court martial trial in order to determine if any rules were broken, that speaks volumes for the commitment of this country to enforcing democracy.

Would it have been bettter left out of the press and courts? Yes, it should have been pushed under the rug.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
We have no way of knowing that. These are all assumptions people have made. There are lots of good reasons to go the court matial route over NJP. Lack of solid prosecutorial evidence, wanting to prove a point to their CoC, or even to bring publicity into the equation are all possible reasons. As with all things, time will tell, but all of the speculation and chest thumping in this thread is a bit silly, IMO.

Brett

One thing we know for sure: if the situation were reversed, the video of the beheading of the Seal(s) would have been shown on TV & throughout the world. So, IMHO, if the Seals didn't kill the fuc#er while in captivity, then we're well ahead of them on the scale of legal forbearance.