• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SEALs on Trial?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,576646,00.html

Came across this whilst getting my daily dose of sensationalism.

I understand the need for the United States to maintain a level of humanity above that which is displayed by our enemies, but a punch in the face? Really? Is that enough to end these guys' careers?

It said that they denied mast and are being court-martialed. Is this the norm for this kind of thing?

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
This stuff makes my blood boil. They'd better let these guys off the hook for this.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Yea, and I bet these operators are ecstatic about their names now being in the public domain. Even though there are no pictures I.D.'ing the SEALs, isn't it a no-no to reveal these guys' identities?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand the need for the United States to maintain a level of humanity above that which is displayed by our enemies, but a punch in the face? Really? Is that enough to end these guys' careers?

It said that they denied mast and are being court-martialed. Is this the norm for this kind of thing?

I think we ought to wait until the full story comes out. It specifically says in the article that the team leader reported the incident up the chain, I am not sure he would have done that for just a simple punch in the face.

If they think they are in the right then I have heard of several who have requested a court martial instead of Mast.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Once again.... this is a travesty.
This is not fucking the Mi Lai massacre. We have a terrorist who got a fat lip.
Absolute insanity.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I noticed this in the article "The SEAL leader reported the charge up the chain of command, and an investigation ensued." I think we ought to wait until the full story comes out.

If they think they are in the right then I have heard of several who have requested a court martial instead of Mast.

No doubt. Just wanted the forum's opinion (as it's bound to be entertaining.) Not trying to make a case one way or another.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Is one's chance of acquittal better at a court martial?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rules of evidence for NJP are looser. Specifically, hearsay is allowed. This is because it is "non-judicial" or adminstrative in nature. You can (theoretically) get busted down to E-nothing multiple times in a career, lose half your pay, and be confined on the ever-famous bread and water, but not leave the service with a criminal conviction.

A court-martial is essentially very close to a civilian trial, with all the discovery, rules of evidence, etc. etc. that goes with that. Much bigger animal. Anyone receiving NJP may elect to be court-martialed instead. The downside to this is that you are not simply awarded (love that phrase) NJP if you lose. You've got a no-kidding criminal conviction which will follow you for the rest of your time on this mortal coil.

Thus, as I recall, you can't be forced into a court martial over an NJPable offense. You can, however, be denied one at sea at the CO's discretion. So what this looks like to me is that these SEALs decided that this was, in fact, the hill they were looking to die on, and have forced the issue by refusing NJP and demanding a court-martial.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Thanks for the clarification.

Good on them for sticking to their principles. If the extent of the alleged "abuse" was a fat lip on a captured terrorist, then I really hope these guys get let off the hook.

Cleonard19

Contributor

Accepting mast when offered is an admission of guilt. When you're not given a choice, its a different story.

I had a friend in Power School who got charged with doing something for which he wasn't even in the same geographical region of the country for. But the Mess was convinced he did it. When he went to legal, they explained that he could admit guilt, and receive his punishment at mast, or he could refuse to admit guilt and go to Court Martial and plead his case. He went to Court Martial and charges were dropped immediately.

CAMike

None
Contributor
The fact that we are about to spend a significant amount of money prosecuting service members for doing their jobs due to what "appears" to be a minor injury- speaks volumes.

Unacceptable on a couple of levels.

Our troops deserve better.

jtmedli

pilot
The fact that we are about to spend a significant amount of money prosecuting service members for doing their jobs due to what "appears" to be a minor injury- speaks volumes.

Unacceptable on a couple of levels.

Our troops deserve better.

Seriously, This guy massacred 4 Blackwater agents and they're getting all butt-hurt because someone hit him. I think I've had worse happen to me on the playground in 3rd grade and they're going to put the SEALs on trial for this. What a joke and travesty.

corvettetimmy

One of those guys was in my boot camp divison. What a shitty deal all around.
Airwarriors could start rallying up support. I believe courts martials are open to the public. We could get a few hundred people to attend and stare down the judge and prosecution in support of the accused.