• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SEALs on Trial?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Army Maj. Gen (SOCCent Commander) preferred the charges per Navy Times.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Pending the outcome of the Court Martial we can hope that the result of all this is that more terrorist leaders start turning up in body bags instead of alive to complain and stand trial. Dead men tell no tales.

Unfortunately, they also don't give any information.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am waiting for the Navy Times edition of this story to come out, hopefully it will clear some things. :)

Like how the outcome of this court-martial could jeopardize your liberty.

DETAILS INSIDE!!!

Scoob has it right. Just want to make sure you know Navy Times is not an official Navy media source. Ever notice how its format is same as the National Enquirer and other tabloid news "fish wrappers"?

65449.jpg

Of course, MIB use it to "clear up things".

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
'scuse my cynicism: (a) get the intel then put a 9mm thru their forehead, or (b) paraphrased from VN days, kill 'em all & let Allah sort 'em out. Enough is enough. The West has put up w/ enough of this BS.

magnetfreezer

The tough part about this is that Fox News is giving it international media coverage. All the next hadji has to do is read this article and follow suit with his comrade. Why kill SEALs/soldiers/Marines when you can take 'em out of action with an investigation? This is all another way for hadji to use public opinion and the American media against our forces.

From an Al-Qaeda training manual captured a while ago in Britain (http://www.justice.gov/ag/manualpart1_4.pdf) page 16:

PRISONS AND DETENTION CENTERS
IF AN INDICTMENT IS ISSUED AND THE TRIAL, BEGINS, THE BROTHER HAS TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE FOLLOWING:
1. At the beginning of the trial, once more the brothers must insist on proving that torture was inflicted on them by State Security [investigators] before the judge.
2. Complain [to the court] of mistreatment while in prison.​

Already standard tactics.

USMCFLYR

pilot
This tells us something about the mindset at the top of our military today, but, unfortunately, it says more about the Army. This is the same service that looked the other way while Maj. Hasan was talking like an islamic idiot for several years before he finally went ballistic. They must really be scared of something, and it would be hard to make the case that it all started w/ the current administration. OH, and BZ/gutsy move by the Seals to insist on a courts martial proceeding rather than taking NJP for something they didn't deserve. Just my $0.02.

The SEALs would not have insisted on a CM. They would have refused NJP. It is then on the Convening authority to decide what to do next. The SEALS, by declining NJP, put the ball back into the Government's court and then they decided to take it to the next level.
I'm pretty sure that they are probably thinking that it would be a hard time to get a members panel to convict in this case - -probably an accurate assumption.

It does tell some of what the convening authority is thinking about to beigin with that they offered NJP in the first place. **Something** probably happened. Covering it up can led to even worse proceedings. The Command tried to handle it within the military system at the lowest level, but the SEALs - standing on principle - declined that avenue.

Let's hope for CENTERED members of the panels and that the related elements of this *story* aren't leaving out something much worse. If so - and if not - then all will be well in the end I am sure.

USMCFLYR

Antigone

One of those guys was in my boot camp divison. What a shitty deal all around.
Airwarriors could start rallying up support. I believe courts martials are open to the public. We could get a few hundred people to attend and stare down the judge and prosecution in support of the accused.

are you being serious?

uhhh....

sodajones

Combat Engineer
The SEALs would not have insisted on a CM. They would have refused NJP. It is then on the Convening authority to decide what to do next. The SEALS, by declining NJP, put the ball back into the Government's court and then t hey decide to take it to the next level.
I'm pretty sure that they are probably thinking that it would be a hard time to get a members panel to convict n this cas - -probably an accurate assumption.

It does tell some of what the convening authority is thinking about to beigin with that they offered NJP in the first place. **something** probably happened. Covering it up can led to even worse proceedings. The Command tried to handle it within the military system at the lowest level, but the SEALs - standing on principle - declined that avenue.

Let's hope for CENTERED members of the panels and that the related elements of this *story* aren't leaving out something much worse. If so - and if not - then all will be well in the end I am sure.

USMCFLYR

Pretty much the only intelligent post made in this thread so far.

Wow, that's bullshit. I guess one should expect it from such a political news organization as FOX News or the New York Times, but it's still bullshit.
Did you really try to juxtapose Fox News and the New York times?

You do realize one of those is actually a news agency, right?

Clux4

Banned
Heyjoe, I am aware that Navy Times is not official Navy new. I was trying to juxtapose Fox news and Navy Times as unreliable sources. That was my attempt at humor; hence the smiley.

I don't think the Army Maj. Gen (SOCCent Commander) would have pushed for a Court Martial if the suspect was not an HVT going to trial. His counsel probably suggested this route because the suspect was already making claim and this could be used to dismiss the case against the suspect during a possible civil trial.
He probably also feared that Article 15 could be viewed as weak and accommodating of alleged practices by a civil court.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Has it occurred to you that it was probably the attorney that pushed this story to Fox to stir up support (and donations) for his clients?

Bevo16

pilot
http://video.foxnews.com/11929348/international-show-trial

Not only the guys name.. fox threw out a damn photo.. gotta love when politics get put before the common sense of winning a war.

These people are not CIA operatives. They are SEALs. They wear uniforms with their names on them along with their warfare devices just like the rest of us. Their identity and job specification in not a fucking national secret. If you want to meet one, just go to The Jewish Mother in Va Beach or Mc P's out in San Dog. They are the guys with muscles wearing cargo pants, t-shirts, and flip flops.

Get a grip folks.