• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Seahawks Sink Houthi Boats

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
As he stated in one of his videos it's the AGM-114R :rolleyes: which is also when I decide to turn it off, unsubscribe from his channel and resolve to stop watching / giving this guy any youtube ad time.
I especially liked the picture of the CATMs with duct-taped on seeker covers. Also, as best I can tell from a cursory image search, mounted on a Japanese 60 (at the very least, I'm pretty sure it's not a 60R). That annoyed me more than the potential leaking of controlled/classified information just to get people to smash that subscribe button.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I especially liked the picture of the CATMs with duct-taped on seeker covers. Also, as best I can tell from a cursory image search, mounted on a Japanese 60 (at the very least, I'm pretty sure it's not a 60R). That annoyed me more than the potential leaking of controlled/classified information just to get people to smash that subscribe button.
Ward will sensationalize anything to earn a buck from the clicks, likes, and subscribes. He's what I would call a YT Whore. Pretty sad for a former Naval Officer.

I will not watch, like, or subscribe to any of his garbage.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
As he stated in one of his videos it's the AGM-114R :rolleyes: which is also when I decide to turn it off, unsubscribe from his channel and resolve to stop watching / giving this guy any youtube ad time.
So Ward still sucks, but assuming we have 114R inventory, he could be correct (on that one point). We added AGM-114R2 to the MH-60R NATIP three months ago.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Let it go....the collective "we" at AirWarriors understand your position, BUT we have no say so in the awarding of such devices.

So it is a done deal. No need to continue to fight about it.

Really touched a nerve with this one. I think I’ve articulated it relatively well. I’ll just let it go at this point, because apparently this is too difficult to do or even think about.

Guys, Hotdog speaks for every single Marine. He must be right. No amount of logic is going to change his mind, as he stated himself. His mind is closed.
No, this is how you have a discussion without taking things personal.

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
So Ward still sucks, but assuming we have 114R inventory, he could be correct (on that one point). We added AGM-114R2 to the MH-60R NATIP three months ago.
I’m a little out of the game but was there ever a R buy for the Navy (Independent of actual authorization)? The Cobra has been technically able to shoot R for quite some time but as I understand it wasn’t bought in meaningful quantity as a concession to the JAGM program. @Swanee can probably chime in here but I have a feeling our old pal Ward googled HF max effective and pulled the number from RPA launched versions

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Things you should take note of that I’ve done here:

1) Cited source material
2) Highlight a position on a controversial subject
3) Justified my position with examples/analogies
4) Defended my position against counter-arguments

Not everyone is going to agree, and I’m not here to change everyone’s minds…. and that’s okay.

Last edited by a moderator:

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I’m a little out of the game but was there ever a R buy for the Navy (Independent of actual authorization)? The Cobra has been technically able to shoot R for quite some time but as I understand it wasn’t bought in meaningful quantity as a concession to the JAGM program. @Swanee can probably chime in here but I have a feeling our old pal Ward googled HF max effective and pulled the number from RPA launched versions
I'm not a red-shirted "friend of ours", but I'm fairly certain we have them. There were some limitations earlier on, but suspect wider spread usage now.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I begrudgingly watched the video.
Both the narrative and the numbers (RPA or otherwise) are about what I would expect from someone like Ward- IE, a guy who is trying to look like he knows something while completely talking out of his ass.

I give a lot of credit to this helo crew as they did a really good and professional job. Every RPA guy who has touched that AOR is jealous. But Ward needs to STFU and stay in whatever lane he belongs in. Maybe it's playing Gibson guitars through a Marshall stack? I assume those in the background of the video are his. He'd have more credibility that way.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Interesting tidbit in the spirit of this thread. The Smithsonian Institute has officially recognized the first women military pilots to fly in combat - one of them is an SH-3 helo' pilot.

First Female Pilots to Fly Combat Missions for the U.S.

• U.S. Navy Lieutenant Kimberly “Face” Dyson, F/A-18C Hornet
  • U.S. Navy Lieutenant Sharon “Pinto” Deegan (Cummins at the time); F/A-18C Hornet
  • U.S. Navy Lieutenant Junior Grade Joy “Trigger” Dean (Adams at the time), F/A-18C Hornet
  • U.S. Navy Lieutenant Lisa “KP” Kirkpatrick, Grumman E-2C Hawkeye
  • U.S. Navy Lieutenant Lynne Fowler, Sikorsky SH-3 helicopter

GroundPounder

Ward will sensationalize anything to earn a buck from the clicks, likes, and subscribes. He's what I would call a YT Whore. Pretty sad for a former Naval Officer.

I will not watch, like, or subscribe to any of his garbage.
I ran in to an local attorney several days ago, who was an F14 RIO and contemporary of Mr. Ward's. He was not complimentary about his YouTube or his performance as an RIO. The huge caveat is that you never know if they had a history, or some blood feud. For all I know, the guy I know was the slug.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I ran in to an local attorney several days ago, who was an F14 RIO and contemporary of Mr. Ward's. He was not complimentary about his YouTube or his performance as an RIO. The huge caveat is that you never know if they had a history, or some blood feud. For all I know, the guy I know was the slug.

HeyJoe knew him well from their JO days together in VF and had this to say about him (that I just reposted back in September):

The greater irony is his original claim to fame was as creator of “Danger Boy” cartoon who was the JO’s JO. His draft novel was a thinly (if at all) disguised send up of all the senior officers above him....

I was quite surprised that he was purporting to be in the know and postulating how the “artists” created their masterpiece. Like I said, he used to know better as editor of Approach and PAO of the Safety Center....I fear that the Ward I knew is now amongst the Media Pundits who rush to be first and grab the public attention which equates ultimately to revenue and is oftentimes hand in hand with “fake news” or least half baked news.

I suppose there is another irony at play here. He may not have gotten positive feedback, but the more “looks” his Twitter Feed generates, the more he wins....So the former “Angry JO” appears to have joined the ranks of those he once decried. That is ultimate irony to me.....

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/sky-dong-over-wa.45394/page-16#post-894109

So your guy's memory is probably pretty close to accurate.

robav8r

None
Contributor
Slight thread jack that may or may not be relevant.

When I retired out of the Pentagon (NORAD/NORTHCOM) as a post command O5, my award was a DMSM. A very appropriate EOT for a retiring Naval Officer at my pay grade. I have seen MSMs and DMSMs on Air Force E5's. I always consider the service and designator/specialty of an individual before I pass judgement on their fruit salad. Depending on the service (primarily), the same award can have drastically different meaning and career implications for individuals. But, in the end, in really doesn't matter. Unless and until DoD drills down on award criteria standardization across all the services, the award/criteria mismatch will continue. I think the contributions being made by the SWO's (and their embarked Helo Dets) in the eastern Med, Red Sea and IO are notable - I would be sporting that CAR with pride. Just my .02c though . . .