• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Seahawks Sink Houthi Boats

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
DDG Carney Sailors awarded CAR - and ship received 1000 lbs of BBQ :) Will the Seahawk crews get the same?

3683p-car.jpg

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
If true… this is why the Marines and Army laugh at you guys. A CAR for the entire ship? Jesus.
I might be misremembering this, but I think an amphib got one a while ago in similar circumstances in the BAM. Story goes a ribbon happy SNCO very happily ran the EPAR for the entire ACE and had a fun time explaining why to the Fallujah veteran SgtMaj

BigRed389

None
Right or wrong, within the Marine Corps explaining that’s how you rated a CAR would be met overwhelmingly with ridicule.
Meh. I get it, but everything can be ridiculed. A Purple Heart can range from horrific death to a graze. The danger exposure for a CAR can range from a horrific IED that kills even a tank to wiping out some dumb shit shooting a machine gun at a tank.

Ships are different because that’s the lowest unit level that gets shot at, endangering the entire crew. If anybody can come up with better eligibility criteria, they’re welcome to fix it.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
A buddy of mine said he heard it was AGM-114 x 3. If that’s actually true, I wonder if it’s the first Navy helo engagement with that weapon.

I mean, it's a great weapon. Though it can be tough to lase in around the water. Lots of considerations. Again, BZ to the crew. They got tapped on the shoulder and executed very well. Make's an MQ-9 bubba shed a tear of joy. At least, that's what I heard from a friend.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Right or wrong, within the Marine Corps explaining that’s how you rated a CAR would be met overwhelmingly with ridicule.
Ridicule on what basis? Being shot at with a weapon that could result in significant number of casualties on the platform? If people in a HMMWV get shot at with an RPG and they return fire, would they rate a ridicule-free CAR?

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Ridicule on what basis? Being shot at with a weapon that could result in significant number of casualties on the platform? If people in a HMMWV get shot at with an RPG and they return fire, would they rate a ridicule-free CAR?
Hey, don’t shoot the messenger. Many (ground side) Marines put tremendous (and often misplaced) stock in the CAR or lack thereof in someone’s stack (you don’t have to dig too deep to find this criticism of Gen Amos). There’s abundant stories of people doing dumb things / exaggerating events to justify rating one. Point is there’s a lot of baggage wrapped around that ribbon, for better or worse. A Marine wearing one earned because his ship took fire (while, let’s be honest, he was chilling in GQ) would be kind of a weird move. I’d personally feel very awkward doing so, but I’m also not gonna begrudge the sailors in this situation getting a little recognition.

As an aside, a big part of this is the perception that “oh it’s just the Houthis”. Shit gets hot elsewhere and I think people will look upon that award criteria with a little more of an open mind.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't really know how I feel about this, either way. But for the record, real GQ due to hostile fire, is not super normal. As in nobody was probably "chilling" like they would be during a GQ drill. Don't get me wrong, I love to hate on boat donkeys too, but this might not be the best example of whatever the Marines want to hate about.