• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scene in a fiction book, Admiral takes command

danpass

So the captain of a ship is taking an Admiral along on a secret mission (that's always the case right? lol).

Things happen where the Admiral takes command.

1. Could it happen?

2. In what way is it 'supposed' to happen

3. Various consequences involved? The helmsman decides not obey, Captain protests, etc and then what happens.

A. Is the admiral in the chain of command?

B. Is the admiral a line officer?

A. No

B. and good question. I was pondering that this morning when considering the implications involved in writing the scene. Not having experience with this all I could think of was that the background of the Admiral's career track would be one in design/development (the guy who deals with a new missile, new aircraft, etc) while another Admiral might have come up thru Naval Aviation.

But I don't know the details of that or if it is even accurate.

I'm looking to create a scene where such a situation would be 'probable'

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriouosly doubtful that an Admiral would take COMMAND unless there were no suitable replacements for the Commanding Officer. Usually if the CO is fired/killed, the XO or an interim CO would take his/her place. And yes, the Admiral shall be a LINE officer in order to take command.

danpass

No one gets killed. So, to intentionally blur things, what if the Admiral was ONCE a line officer (say as an LCDR), but then went into R&D, and now is on this mission due to his R&D experience but a situation presents itself where the Admiral can't/won't reveal details, the secret mission must be preserved type of thing, and thinks it would be easier to take command and go from there. I don't want to give away too much lol.

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
Let's not all become "Technical Advisors" to OP's groovy idea for some new novel…

But wait! PLOT TWIST: When non-URL "Admiral" indicates intent to take command of the ship, Captain calls MAs and says: "Confine the Admiral to his stateroom." And then he consults operational COC for further guidance.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So the captain of a ship is taking an Admiral along on a secret mission (that's always the case right? lolBut I don't know the details of that or if it is even accurate.

I'm looking to create a scene where such a situation would be 'probable'
This post reminds me of the recent incident in the Gulf, when the SWO Admiral BG CDR, got fired after he and the Brownshoec CVN CO, had a "set to" over the CO hot-rodding the carrier through busy sea lanes. Not quite the scenario you are building; but it may give some clues on the high level usurping of command authority. There was quite a bit of info on the incident on this site, in that 'COs getting fired' thread around 5-6 mos. ago.;)
BzB

danpass

Cool, thanks. Link? 'fired' in a title search doesn't bring up anything recent.

('getting' is rejected as too common lol)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool, thanks. Link? 'fired' in a title search doesn't bring up anything recent.
I tried to find it here on AW search, but no go. If you google RADM GAOUETTE, you'll find a number of items regarding the firing, including an article by Commander Salamander, outlining various items involved in his relief; I don't know if this incident is germane to your story, but may be worth a shot.:)
BzB