• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scene in a fiction book, Admiral takes command

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
OK....hypothetically...Lets say an admiral is onboard a cruiser during something like a fleet-ex. He is the COMCRUDESGRU. Lets say that ship was doing an ASWEX involving an ASROC shot. The ASROC booster motor malfunctions sending the ASROC tumbling through the air and landing close to the ship...say 2000-4000 yds away. Sonar on the ship reports to CIC that he hears a high pitch whine. CIC reports it to the bridge. The admiral, who is on the bridge asks the OOD what the layer depth is. The OOD response with shrugged shoulders and then...wait for it..."What's a layer depth?"

OOD relieved on the spot, JOOD rank ripped off of his collar on the spot. LAMPS pilot H2P made to sit in one of only two seats in the wardroom across from other empty seat in middle of table after exercise. Admiral comes in and screams at entire wardroom for the F-ups. He adds at the end of the "debrief" pointing to the H2P across from him, "..and you guys in the funny green suits need to make your takeoff time! 0800 does not mean 0810 or 0815!"

Admiral later becomes CNO. Some years later he kills himself.

Hypothetically...of course. Just a plot suggestion.

Renegade One

None
OK....hypothetically...Lets say an admiral is onboard a cruiser during something like a fleet-ex. He is the COMCRUDESGRU. Lets say that ship was doing an ASWEX involving an ASROC shot. The ASROC booster motor malfunctions sending the ASROC tumbling through the air and landing close to the ship...say 2000-4000 yds away. Sonar on the ship reports to CIC that he hears a high pitch whine. CIC reports it to the bridge. The admiral, who is on the bridge asks the OOD what the layer depth is. The OOD response with shrugged shoulders and then...wait for it..."What's a layer depth?"

OOD relieved on the spot, JOOD rank ripped off of his collar on the spot. LAMPS pilot H2P made to sit in one of only two seats in the wardroom across from other empty seat in middle of table after exercise. Admiral comes in and screams at entire wardroom for the F-ups. He adds at the end of the "debrief" pointing to the H2P across from him, "..and you guys in the funny green suits need to make your takeoff time! 0800 does not mean 0810 or 0815!"

Admiral later becomes CNO. Some years later he kills himself.

Hypothetically...of course. Just a plot suggestion.
Standard Disclaimer: I'm TOTALLY out of my swim-lane here, except for some not unsubstantial time as a CCDG COS. I can only hope that the folks perhaps "really in the know" might comment.

Holy crap…where to begin?
1. OK…ASWEX with a non-warhead exercise ASROC. Have no idea if "system logic" would do anything other than "dud" the system in the event of a "near-ship" booster malfunction. But let's go with it…I like movies too. "High-pitched whine" (I assume) is meant to indicate EX-TORP is now homing on Mother? So…something goes bump. Who cares?

2. "What's the layer depth?" Good question…of someone…not sure it's right of the OOD. TAO? SCC? You smart SWOs tell me…

3. "What's a layer depth?" No OOD would ask that question of the Flag on the Bridge, even if he didn't know…I don't think. You smart SWOs tell me…

4. Nobody can relieve the OOD except the Captain of the ship, and I don't know what "JOOD Rank ripped off his collar" even means.

5. I fail to understand the whole plot thread about the unfortunate H2P and the folks in the "funny green suits". I worked for 4 great SWO Flag Officers as COS…and every one of them had great respect for the embarked/BATGRU aviators and worked very hard to understand the issues from their side.

6. CNO who later commits suicide? DO NOT FUCKING GO THERE, my friend. The scab still isn't really healed for some of us who knew him.

I have no idea what you're trying to package or pitch to the studios in Hollywood. I'm sure it will sound fantastic after a "power breakfast" at the Beverly Hills Hotel and about 2 grams of cocaine. To you, anyway.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Holy crap…where to begin?
1. "High-pitched whine" (I assume) is meant to indicate EX-TORP is now homing on Mother? So…something goes bump. Who cares?

Well, the potential for a giant freakin' hole in the side of ship (below the waterline) might make everyone care. Holes in the steel happen fairly often, even without an EXTORP hitting it.

5. I fail to understand the whole plot thread about the unfortunate H2P and the folks in the "funny green suits".

Think about it for a sec. Why would a (semi) former Naval Aviator who also used to be a LAMPS pilot specifically mention that 2P? The way he tells his story, it's almost like he was there... But it's all hypothetical, of course.

I'll let Rob respond to the rest, but just because he pushed your button doesn't mean you have to be obtuse.

BigRed389

None
What's a COMCRUDESGRU? (ie yes you are old)

And yeah, minimum safe separation safety devices are pretty standard. Even Red October had them.

OOD probably wouldn't know or care about layer depth. TAOs "should."

Renegade One

None
What's a COMCRUDESGRU? (ie yes you are old)

And yeah, minimum safe separation safety devices are pretty standard. Even Red October had them.

OOD probably wouldn't know or care about layer depth. TAOs "should."
Yes, I am old. It beats any alternative I know of. CCDGs are known to you now as CSGs…about half of them. CCGs were the other half. All "same-o, same-o, now", I presume.
...just because he pushed your button doesn't mean you have to be obtuse.
Where, precisely, was I being obtuse? (i.e., annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand?). I think OPs basic plot construct sucks, lacks any basis in reality, and may do a disservice to the Navy if it were actually brought to production by Hollywood. But it certainly wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

YMMV.

jmcquate

Contributor
Why would the depth of the layer matter with a rouge EXTORP unless you are looking for a large tube shaped hunk of metal that might have shot it?

danpass

I think OPs basic plot construct sucks, lacks any basis in reality, and may do a disservice to the Navy if it were actually brought to production by Hollywood. But it certainly wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

YMMV.

I'm looking specifically for a format that such a situation could be probable, murky, yet probable.

But you are free to continue not contributing to the solution.

Renegade One

None
I'm looking specifically for a format that such a situation could be probable, murky, yet probable.
Um…some parallel universe?

But…I gotta say…I admire a person who continues to defend an indefensible position. Raise him to Corporal!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Why would the depth of the layer matter with a rouge EXTORP unless you are looking for a large tube shaped hunk of metal that might have shot it?

An EXTORP has the brains and sensor of a real torp, so if there was a layer, and if it mattered at that range, it would be affected by the layer in acquiring whatever target it might find. ie/eg; if it went deep, below the layer (whatever that may have been), it might not see the surface ship that shot it.

jmcquate

Contributor
An EXTORP has the brains and sensor of a real torp, so if there was a layer, and if it mattered at that range, it would be affected by the layer in acquiring whatever target it might find. ie/eg; if it went deep, below the layer (whatever that may have been), it might not see the surface ship that shot it.
Make's sense. Didn't know torps player with the thermal.

Renegade One

None
Gee golly…you guys know some serious shit…given an "if there was"…and an "if it mattered"…and an "ie/eg:"…and an "if it went deep" and a maybe "below the layer" ( whatever that may have been), and it "might not see" something.

You should have been a lawyer... ;)