• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Scale model fans...questions and showcase of work

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My Navy jets are supposed to leak story

what's that saying i hear from the maintainers every time i point at a huge puddle of something flammable/caustic/carcinogenic right as we're about to go fly?

"oh its fine, if it isn't leaking something it's low on something"

On the last day of the Desert Storm Air War, nothing much was flying but they wanted jets to "boom" Baghdad on a regular basis to let them know we were still around as negotiations ensued. So instead of rush hour over Iraq like the weeks before, things were ominously quiet.

Our skipper asked me to take a brand new arrival from RAG (SERGRAD LT) who only had a couple fam flights over the Red Sea since arriving in country on the booming mission to be able to say he at least had one combat hop. He was a bit nervous tanking off KC-135 and bent the probe tip in the process. So now what to do?

We could almost make it back but would have to have a Ready Deck. We had been briefed that there was hot pit availability 24/7 at a SOF support field near the border that had A-10s and other CSAR assets staged there. I already had the coordinates in my INS so we dropped in to top off. Piece of cake I figured. We'd still be able to make the recovery. We pull into the pits next to an A-10 loaded for bear and shut down the right motor to refuel. Air Force had a small army of folks working the pits and one went right to correct spot to open the panel and hook us up.

No sooner than we had good flow and I'm thinking I wouldn't miss my daily slider, one of the small army starts pointing under the fuselage and signaling to cut off the JP. He was pointing where ECS ports water so I wasn't worried. I told the nugget to kneel the jet and cracked the canopy so he could approach. I showed him the Pocket Checklist diagrom and scribbled a note as what it was. He went below and came back with a bare wet hand and held it up nodding OK. So JP was flowing again. Less than a minute later, another member of the army points at another spot and we're shut down again. I figure out what it is and we exchange notes again. This repeats itself yet again so I write a note saying "It's a Navy jet, it's supposed to leak. If it isn't leaking, we're out of something!". He reads it and starts laughing and takes it to another member of the "army" which has now grown considerably. Guess not much was going on so everyone decided to come see the Tomcat and take pictures including some Saudis.

They were still passing the note from person to person and laughing while shaking their heads knowingly when we topped off. We finally got out of the pits and I asked my nugget if he had done a low transition to a max performance climb yet. He said no but was willing to try. I told him "Don;t F__ it up, our fan club is watching!). It wasn't as low as I would have liked or as aggressive a climb, but I'm sure it was the most entertainment they had all day.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Needs a yaw string on the top of the radome...and lots of footprints and grease stains.

Oh yeah...
"Speedbrakes on deck"

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Looks great! Always wanted to get into modeling... I really like putting things together, but have a hard time with the artsy stuff (painting).

How long did that model take you to assemble / paint? Is it an expensive hobby?

Thought about trying my hand at building one of those old warships...
image.php

Lobster

How long did that model take you to assemble / paint? Is it an expensive hobby?

As far as price goes it can be pretty cheap, but just like any other hobby can get very expensive. If you're looking for the nicer model kits that are a little bigger in scale they can run you around $80 or more depending on the hobby shop, but the 1:72 scale ones i work on are usually around $25 to $30, but then you have to factor in paint and all the other nonsense you use to build em.

torpedo0126

As far as price goes it can be pretty cheap, but just like any other hobby can get very expensive. If you're looking for the nicer model kits that are a little bigger in scale they can run you around $80 or more depending on the hobby shop, but the 1:72 scale ones i work on are usually around $25 to $30, but then you have to factor in paint and all the other nonsense you use to build em.

If you want to do something like he did, then yes it can be pricey to get into. He did a fantastic job on that. It takes considerable patience to eliminate all the gaps between the fittings, putting on washes to get that dirty look, and multiple coats of paint.

The biggest investment will come in buying an airbrush/compressor. You can get away with compressed air cans, but they provide inconsistent bursts and will often run out while your trying to brush.

I have an Me-262 that I wanted to start on, but studying has gotten in the way of that. I didn't want to continue to lug my airbrush and compressor around so I sent those back to my Dad.

If your really interested, Hobby Lobby offers online coupons for about 40-50% off any one item.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Are you taking orders yet? ;)

What are the dimensions/scale? It was a kit I assume? Cause if you built that from scratch, I'll find out who has the 'MUTHA' and convince them that you're more deserving.

HJ is gonna get me for that. :eek:

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Way too clean for a Tomcat as has been mentioned above.
103's Tomcats on their and what would be JFK's last cruise.
But some interesting nose art...
tomcat.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
are you taking orders yet? ;)

what are the dimensions/scale? It was a kit i assume? Cause if you built that from scratch, i'll find out who has the 'mutha' and convince them that you're more deserving.

hj is gonna get me for that. :eek:

+1 :)

2ndGen

Third times a charm
Great looking model. I used to model a lot, primary WWII birds, but have gotten out of the hobby. You've got a talent!

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
So which ships company guy were you that those of us on the shotgun pissed of at somepoin?

What shotgun? Vickie was usually not even in the same damn CVOA...made sitting in the TAO chair interesting...:sleep_125
Good times...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nicely done! I did a/c modeling for a long while as a hobby, but decided to spend my money on motorcycles instead.

Modeling's not that expensive, but like most hobbies that involve building things, you have to be willing to make the initial investment in good equipment to get good results. You also have to be willing to screw up a lot and keep going. Modeling's definitely a "learn from your fark-ups" past time. Also requires a loooooooooot of patience.

On the other hand, the research and reading you do also tends to gain you a lot of knowledge about whatever it is you're making. I learned a ton of stuff, technical and historical, some of it useful, some just interesting Ready Room bullshit. How the pre-MacNamara aircraft designation system worked, for example (trivia - what was the F-110? How about the W2F?). Or figuring out what ordinance the Rhino can carry, and on which stations.

Huffing paint fumes is a side perk.

If you're in P'cola, there's a shop called John's Models up in Cantonment. I think it's just something the owner does to make his hobby a tax write-off, but it works. He sells a lot of older, discontinued kits, so you can find some neat stuff and usually cheaper than what you'll find in most stores. John's usually the one at the counter and usually working on something, and he's happy to give advice.

Here's one I did of one of the NASP SAR H-3's.

Attachments

• Gulfrunner 402.jpg
    Gulfrunner 402.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 109

Aircrew Instruc

None
That is one hell of a good looking model. So would u seriously consider building models for a fee? I sure a hell would love a P-3 to have and showcase in my Navy (I love me) room.

Citation3

FREE Super Hornet Model...to a good home in VA Beach or Norfolk.

Hey guys or ladies....It's time to let one of my Super Hornets go. I would like to give it to a current or past Super Hornet driver if any of you are around this forum and interested. My prefernce it for it to got to a winged aviator pilot or WSO.

This model is a nice reproduction of a VFA-103 jet. It is finely detailed and well built. While the kit is not perfectly accurate but still builds into a nice looking jet. The only real problem is the WSO IP coaming and the ECS jets. The red lights have also been corrected on the vertical stabalizers.

Since I have never shipped a model my preference is to have it hand delivered or picked up from me in Norfolk, VA. I can't guarantee it would arrive safely if I boxed it up and mailed it.

Please PM me if interested.

IMG_2648.jpg

IMG_2647.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

IMG_2643.jpg

IMG_2642.jpg

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a nice looking model - I bet it took quite some time. FYI Lieutenant Commander is LCDR vice LT CDR. Tonto is a good dude too.