• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Satellite-assisted (RNP) approaches

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Heard something in a youtube ad (of all places) about GE's elimination of stairstep approaches. Looks pretty cool. Seems like a coupla folks are working on it but GE's the first to implementation.

smooth_moves.jpg

http://www.fastcompany.com/1685209/...rtens-trip-distance-and-cuts-carbon-emissions

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
If I recall correctly, Jet Blue had been testing a pretty interesting RNAV RNP approach into JFK. I used to have the plate around somewhere. It as 2 1/2 years ago, I'm sure more has come of it since then.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
This has been in the works for quite a while. When you start to put it in the context of the entire airspace system, it gets very difficult, because you have to queue the approaches up from way, way, out, and one little snafu can cause a lot of problems.

I heard about it first from these guys: PARTNER

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This has been in the works for quite a while. When you start to put it in the context of the entire airspace system, it gets very difficult, because you have to queue the approaches up from way, way, out, and one little snafu can cause a lot of problems.

I heard about it first from these guys: PARTNER

What makes it less difficult is the entire NEXTGEN system, which, like you mention, does the queuing. I'm sure someone like HAL has the specifics, but NEXTGEN is coming and will actually be mandatory ~2015-ish (I think...AOPA obviously has the details). I'm sure the Navy won't have any problem being compliant with the program by that time...

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm sure the Navy won't have any problem being compliant with the program by that time...

I can fly RNP approaches in my new, gee-whiz Lot-4 COD. So now I also believe hell is a winter wonderland and pigs can fly...

I even have heard the P-3 is getting CNS/ATM compliant. Maybe we CAN make 2015!

KBayDog

I can fly RNP approaches in my new, gee-whiz Lot-4 COD. So now I also believe hell is a winter wonderland and pigs can fly...

Whoa, whoa, whoa...you mean to tell me there are instrument navigation systems other than a TACAN?

I'm going to raise the flag on that one. I'm sure that if there were other navigation systems available, the Phrog would have incorporated them sometime in the past 45 years. (HMX and VMR aside...)

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Whoa, whoa, whoa...you mean to tell me there are instrument navigation systems other than a TACAN?

Well yeah- you tune up the ATIS in your ADF and fly an old school NDB procedure turn approach. Once you turn inbound, hopefully you see the runways in a couple minutes or so before the needle swings around. If not... well I guess you try again... :)

<insert obligatory Phrog comment here>

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor

True story. And we even have pilots qualified to use it. (<---I are one!)

What boggles my mind is why there are Update III birds with CNS/ATM running around. Part of me thinks it has to be a typo on the brief I saw, but part of me knows there is no bound to the weird Frankenstein gear combos the Nav has thrown in P-3s. . .

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well yeah- you tune up the ATIS in your ADF and fly an old school NDB procedure turn approach. Once you turn inbound, hopefully you see the runways in a couple minutes or so before the needle swings around. If not... well I guess you try again... :)

<insert obligatory Phrog comment here>

It's pretty amazing what approaches we can (in theory) shoot in the COD. ADF, VOR, TACAN, ILS, RNAV, AACS, ACLS. It's like they want us to able to go anywhere in the world...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
True story. And we even have pilots qualified to use it. (<---I are one!)

What boggles my mind is why there are Update III birds with CNS/ATM running around. Part of me thinks it has to be a typo on the brief I saw, but part of me knows there is no bound to the weird Frankenstein gear combos the Nav has thrown in P-3s. . .

Because most of the AIPs are red striped and the UIIIs we have getting the upgrade are going to be around long enough to benefit from it.. As much as CNS/ATM is a pain in the ass to learn on top of everything else it will be nice when they entire fleet has it. No if they could only put the console in the same spots on every aircraft.
os