• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

salty dog 502 gets first trap

Renegade One

None
Triton is past 3/4 of this already, is it not?
It may be…but it's an ENTIRELY different program…built on an existing, proven capability…and which lacks most of the crapola I discussed above. And the TRITON isn't in service yet either…first flight was only 2 months ago.

You get the idea...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
It may be…but it's an ENTIRELY different program…built on an existing, proven capability…and which lacks most of the crapola I discussed above. And the TRITON isn't in service yet either…first flight was only 2 months ago.

You get the idea...

My response was to the Comment about the VP community. TRITON has been flying under the name Broad Area Maritime Surveillance Demonstrator (BAMS-D) for several years (my squadron sent crews my first tour TDY to provide manning for it's missions).

First Dedicated Squadron standing up Oct 1, 2013 according to a Feb 2013 news release. http://www.navaldrones.com/BAMS.html

Renegade One

None
My response was to the Comment about the VP community.l
Well, you replied to my post about "many things have to happen"…not to anything about the VP community. What can I say?
TRITON has been flying under the name Broad Area Maritime Surveillance Demonstrator (BAMS-D) for several years (my squadron sent crews my first tour TDY to provide manning for it's missions).
Again…trust me…they are two different things. Linked? Surely. This is just like saying that "today's UCLASS Demonstrator bears any resemblance to what will finally happen."
First Dedicated Squadron standing up Oct 1, 2013 according to a Feb 2013 news release.http://www.navaldrones.com/BAMS.html
Well, I'm sure that VUP-19 will have plenty of time to paint the hangar spaces at JAX and get all of their SAVI Training taken care of in the next three years, since (according to your link):
"Triton was expected to be operational in 2015 with a total of 68 aircraft to be procured. However, in April 2013, the Navy announced that production has shifted from FY14 to FY15 due to additional testing requirements and technical issues related to the aircraft's double-tail rudder and software integration for maritime sensors."

You see where I'm going with this? VUP-19 "Plankowners" will probably depart before the first air vehicle arrives. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Well, you replied to my post about "many things have to happen"…not to anything about the VP community. What can I say?

Again…trust me…they are two different things. Linked? Surely. This is just like saying that "today's UCLASS Demonstrator bears any resemblance to what will finally happen."

Well, I'm sure that VUP-19 will have plenty of time to paint the hangar spaces at JAX and get all of their SAVI Training taken care of in the next three years, since (according to your link):
"Triton was expected to be operational in 2015 with a total of 68 aircraft to be procured. However, in April 2013, the Navy announced that production has shifted from FY14 to FY15 due to additional testing requirements and technical issues related to the aircraft's double-tail rudder and software integration for maritime sensors."

You see where I'm going with this? VUP-19 "Plankowners" will probably depart before the first air vehicle arrives. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I wouldn't complain if they canx'd both UAV programs ;) I was just providing a follow up post for clarification on what I was talking about.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

You get the idea...
Yes, I get it. Triton IS a completely different animal, which is why it an exception to the litany of steps and obstacles a new UAV program would have to get through. And what made me bring it up was the mention by a VP guy that UAVs were coming soon. Clearly, Triton will be the first to stand up and it will affect VP business. True enough, UCLASS follow ons will tread a path more like the one you specify.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
GPS denied? I'm more worried about "accurate ACLS denied." Maybe over on fancy schmancy CVN-77 the thing works perfectly all the time, but that has not been my experience.

A and B were both full up this afternoon when I shot some low approaches....

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just noticed. The X-47 actually does a control check while in tension. I don't know if that would be programed into the sequence or it was commanded by a human controller. I see a guy on deck next to the shooter. Still, it looks odd, an unmanned aircraft whiping out the cockpit.

Renegade One

None
Just noticed. The X-47 actually does a control check while in tension. I don't know if that would be programed into the sequence or it was commanded by a human controller. I see a guy on deck next to the shooter. Still, it looks odd, an unmanned aircraft whiping out the cockpit.
NEVER "whip out" in the cockpit. My God, man, we have standards!

On a serious note…yeah, why? Probably a "head-nod" to what the CAT officer is used to seeing. Makes one wonder if there is also an "Otto Pilot" saluting arm to indicate "Ready for launch". Pretty long "full power run-up", so there's SOMETHING going on.

And what is LT Joe Bagadonuts (left side crouching) wearing?

Question: To whom does anyone suppose that that "historic..nay, legendary... milestone setting, one-of-a-kind tail hook" used for the first trap will be "Awarded/Presented" to? Surely it's now "iconic", since every fart this program has made is supposed to be heard as Henry Mancini.

My educated guess: It WON'T be presented to the Tailhook Association…even though ADM Greenert is committed to be the banquet speaker at this year's "40th Anniversary of Operation Homecoming" (Vietnam POWs…) at the Tailhook Reunion in Reno. That would be WAAAY too cool…and funny.

Henry Mancini…wow…just dated myself. How about you guys replace that with Rihanna or whoever else is the flavor of your day? Pretty sure it will be someone I never listen to. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
. Makes one wonder if there is also an "Otto Pilot" saluting arm to indicate "Ready for launch". Pretty long "full power run-up", so there's SOMETHING going on.

After the wipe out the indexers start flashing green and then turn steady white. Maybe that's it.

Renegade One

None
If someone already mentioned this, I missed it. "Salty Dog" is an existing squadron tactical call sign from somewhere...

Oh, I see now...Naval Weapons Test Squadron Point Mugu, redesignated VX-30 as of May 01, 2002. I was thinking it was one of the de-commed VC outfits. My bad.