• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

salty dog 502 gets first trap

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The wingtip Nav lights came on just before the shooter did his final safety checks.

Obviously there could be something related to testing a UAV that is different, but neither of the above statements make sense. AoA indexers (at least in the aircraft I have flown) are inhibited with weight on wheels, and you don't use pos lights at the boat except at night. Blinking to solid nose gear lights (I guess the indexers?) would make sense as some sort of a signal that they are ready, with the lack of ability to salute.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If someone already mentioned this, I missed it. "Salty Dog" is an existing squadron tactical call sign from somewhere...
I thought the same thing... sounded to me like the callsign I remembered from the ol' A-4 Sqdn VA-163 "Saints". But alas, I was close, looked it up and their C/S was Old Salt!;)
BzB

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
...with the lack of ability to salute.
We weren't able to salute at night... assuming they have navigation lights, couldn't they just turn them on as "ready to go" like we did at night?:eek:
BzB

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Who's gonna call boss with a weight board correction over UHF? Or give the non-verbal hands-crossed no-go in order to suspend the cat?

jmcquate

Contributor
We weren't able to salute at night... assuming they have navigation lights, couldn't they just turn them on as "ready to go" like we did at night?:eek:
BzB
Pretty sure that's what happened in the video. Nav lights came on, shooter did final checks, cat fired.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
AoA indexers (at least in the aircraft I have flown) are inhibited with weight on wheels, and you don't use pos lights at the boat except at night. Blinking to solid nose gear lights (I guess the indexers?) would make sense as some sort of a signal that they are ready, with the lack of ability to salute.
Pretty sure that's what happened in the video. Nav lights came on, shooter did final checks, cat fired.
Per above, MIDNJAC was referring to AoA/Indexer lights, mine to navigation (running) lights.:)
BzB

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I watched it in higher resolution and that wasn't the indexer that was green (it would be red if it were... derp), the indexers are off, it's some other light on the nose gear. The pos lights that jmcquate mentioned did seem to be some sort of a signal that it's ready.

Renegade One

None
FWIW "Salty Dogs" are VX-23 at Pax, not VX-30 "Bloodhounds" at Pt Mugu
Okay…guess I didn't read the link I found loosely enough: http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-squadron-pmtc.htm

Don't let the link name scare you…it talks about the NAWC, and kinda sorta infers that all of them used to use the C/S "Salty Dog"? E.G:

CALLSIGN: SALTY DOG

f14-squadron-logo-pmtc.gif
NWTS: Naval Weapons Test Squadron Point Mugu, redesignated VX-30 as of May 01, 2002
NWTS: Naval Weapons Test Squadron China Lake, redesignated VX-31 as of May 01, 2002
NAWC AD: NAWC Aircraft Devision, redesignated VX-23

I dunno…but thanks for keeping me straight. I sure seem to remember a west coast call sign like that…but maybe I'm thinking of my favorite tipple at the Cubi O'Club...;)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Since the video was day/case 1, I didn't reference pos lights as they are off the whole time. But for BZB, absolutely, we still flick the pinky light at night in place of the salute, just like you great Americans did back in much more notable times.

R1, I wouldn't doubt that you are right about there being a Salty Dog callsign on the west coast back in the day sir. Only real reason I know the above is that we were doing fleet CQ last summer when they were flying their F/A-18B around the VX CQ pattern with the UCAS computers flying with said C/S, and I also remember "Bloodhound" checking into the NAOPA from my RAG days and their S-3's were always a near mid air waiting to happen :)