• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

salty dog 502 gets first trap

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
When will AW have its first "Do UAV drivers get to wear Centurion patches" argument?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When will AW have its first "Do UAV drivers get to wear Centurion patches" argument?
If I understand where the X-47 program is, and presumably follow on UCLASS, it doesn't need a "pilot". It is far more autonomous then active UAVs. It would seem to me that it could be monitored by a technician, a computer geek working a key board if necessary. If an officer is required for things like release authority (as if a tomahawk needs release authority once it arrives over target) then it could be any line officer. Pilots need not be assigned as long as it isn't flying in the national airspace system.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I suspect 13XX's may be used (in some capacity) while the vehicle is "on mission", but it is turned over to the satellites and data links for recovery. Which should work out just fine in a GPS denied environment....

BigRed389

None
I suspect 13XX's may be used (in some capacity) while the vehicle is "on mission", but it is turned over to the satellites and data links for recovery. Which should work out just fine in a GPS denied environment....

Is there something that lets it recover once it gets close enough to make comms with the carrier? Modern ring laser gyros should at least put you in the "ballpark" right?

I guess that could be an EMCON problem though...

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
So...it begs the question...what % get replaced by robots?

At least us VP guys don't have to worry about being replaced by a robot!

oh wait...

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot

GPS denied? I'm more worried about "accurate ACLS denied." Maybe over on fancy schmancy CVN-77 the thing works perfectly all the time, but that has not been my experience.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
So...it begs the question...what % get replaced by robots?

At least us VP guys don't have to worry about being replaced by a robot!

oh wait...

First UAV squadron coming to a hangar near you here shortly if the RUMINT is correct. VP shore tours, and I suspect a non screen DH/OPT-T Mecca.

Renegade One

None
First UAV squadron coming to a hangar near you here shortly if the RUMINT is correct….
Probably premature to think that. Navy hasn't even released a "developmental proposal" RFP to Industry yet…but appears to be willing to fund as many as 4 developmental team variants for a final "fly-off", then all that nasty acquisition stuff comes into play…"losing team" protests, along with requirements-creep, changing ORs, full-scale development, mega-buttloads (industry term…) of software code that doesn't exist yet, comms/links/ sensors/weapons suites development and integration, prototype builds for DT&E, LRIP probably concurrent with OT&E, CONOPS development, myriad shore and ship-based integration studies/mods/SHIPALTs, and Navy stand-up of…what? An FRS or "Mutha Squadron"? Where? How many? One per coast? IOC (however that's defined these days)...

Well, you get the idea. Fire back if you believe or know there will be some sort of "fast track" to IOC and initial deployment for this capability.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably premature to think that. Navy hasn't even released a "developmental proposal" RFP to Industry yet…but appears to be willing to fund as many as 4 developmental team variants for a final "fly-off", then all that nasty acquisition stuff comes into play…"losing team" protests, along with requirements-creep, changing ORs, full-scale development, mega-buttloads (industry term…) of software code that doesn't exist yet, comms/links/ sensors/weapons suites development and integration, prototype builds for DT&E, LRIP probably concurrent with OT&E, CONOPS development, myriad shore and ship-based integration studies/mods/SHIPALTs, and Navy stand-up of…what? An FRS or "Mutha Squadron"? Where? How many? One per coast? IOC (however that's defined these days)...

Well, you get the idea. Fire back if you believe or know there will be some sort of "fast track" to IOC and initial deployment for this capability.
Triton is past 3/4 of this already, is it not?