• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russians at Red Flag

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
This was the CGI in 1986
As a computer scientist, this makes me laugh...
As a computer scientist with a degree dated just 4 years earlier in 1982, that makes me say "how the fuck did they do that?"

Shit was changing so fast that when I hit shore duty in 1989 and went back to my same college/same advisor and said "I want to do a Masters", he laughed. "Minimum of 2 years undergrad courses to catch up before you start on the Masters..." So I did ERAU aviation management.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
As a computer scientist with a degree dated just 4 years earlier in 1982, that makes me say "how the fuck did they do that?"

I dunno HAL... probably something like this

10 PRINT"\|/\|/|\\/"
20 GOTO 10

:D

KBayDog

Shit was changing so fast that when I hit shore duty in 1989 and went back to my same college/same advisor and said "I want to do a Masters", he laughed. "Minimum of 2 years undergrad courses to catch up before you start on the Masters..." So I did ERAU aviation management.

You would have had to get caught up on the technological marvel that was Windows 2.1...

win21jh1.gif

...unless, of course, you were a fanboy who would have gladly doled out nearly $8K for this bad boy:

MacIIx.jpg

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
This was me...
pet4032-12.jpg

When you turned it on, it booted instantly, but this was all you got.

***COMMODORE BASIC****
31743 BYTES FREE
READY
<CURSOR>

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I didn't have a computer til the dell dude sold one to my rents when I was a freshman in high school. I learned how to type on a word processor...

MasterBates

My family was the "Early adopter, late upgrader" type..

Brand new Apple IIc in 1984-5.. And that's what I used in HS. And went to college and typed papers on the SUN 6/490 mainframe, along with doing most of my programming and engineering homework on that, and using the SPARCstations for CAD/CFD/FEA stuff.

When Pollak (GM supplier I worked for) bought my a Silicon Graphics Octane workstation to do CAD and FEA on, I was mindfucked by the power of it. Although my cheapie laptop may be better now. At the time, coming from either ancient stuff at home, or a mainframe that was either scary fast or slow depending on how many were SLIRP'd in for internet access.. It was eye watering.

My mom was still running the family business on the IIc in 2001, when I gave them my college desktop I built on my way to OCS. I think it was a 586-200 maybe? I don't even know what the numerical designators for processors are anymore.

21141151_a192f2083a_z.jpg