• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russians at Red Flag

jmcquate

Contributor
My first web and email address was one of the Freenets (Case Western Reserve). I think it was one of the original DARPA operators.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I had an Apple Iic I took on deployment in 1985 along with a dot matrix printer. Only one in the squadron with their own computer. I had everyone from the YNSNs up wanting to use it because all the word processors (I think the squadron had one per department with a couple extra in Admin) were busy and their document just had to get to the CO ASAP.

phrogpilot73

When Pollak (GM supplier I worked for) bought my a Silicon Graphics Octane workstation to do CAD and FEA on, I was mindfucked by the power of it. Although my cheapie laptop may be better now. At the time, coming from either ancient stuff at home, or a mainframe that was either scary fast or slow depending on how many were SLIRP'd in for internet access.. It was eye watering.
The SGI Octane was awesome in it's day, now not so much...

My mom was still running the family business on the IIc in 2001, when I gave them my college desktop I built on my way to OCS. I think it was a 586-200 maybe? I don't even know what the numerical designators for processors are anymore.
There's not really numerical designators anymore. The 586 started doing away with that, because technically the name was Pentium. 586 was AMD/Cyrix's equivalent of a Pentium. The most current processors for Intel are the Core i5/i7 series (even further differentiated by the bridge type, Sandy or Ivy). The most current processors for AMD are the Turion II/Fusion processors... Cyrix has since faded off into the distance, and the last processor manufactured using Cyrix designs was manufactured in 2001 as the Cyrix III by VIA.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
tandy1000ex-ad.jpg

Real tomato ketchup, Eddie?
Nothing but the best, Clark.

realtomatoketchup.jpg

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My first computer was an Apple IIC. But that was a giant leap from the million-dollar plus IBM 360 mainframe that I learned Fortran IV on years earlier. It had no keyboard or monitor. Input was using a mechanical keypunch machine to punch data cards containing the program and your data into the card reader. All output was via a printer. Storage was “Core Storage.” It was a lot of work, slower than molasses, took up a large room that was cold as heck, and scheduling time on it was almost impossible.

“The slowest System/360 models announced in 1964 ranged in speed from 0.0018 to 0.034 MIPS (Compared to todays IPhone capable of hundreds of MIPS.)
A large system might have as little as 256 kB of main storage, but 512 kB, 768 kB or 1024 kB was more common.”IBM360ChequeReader.jpg