• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Russian Paratrooper Promotional

m26

Contributor
Very different philosophies going into the ads...

No kidding. I'd never really noticed, but all our military ads seem to be about me me me. What can the Navy/Army do for me? Sad to think we are encouraging the me-centric youth culture even in military recruiting.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Sad to think we are encouraging the me-centric youth culture even in military recruiting.

Or exploiting what is already deeply entrenched and therefore necessary to appeal to????

Would YOU join to spitshine toilet seats in defense of your country?

Big Biff

Got Em
God that paratrooper video really makes me wish for another good old proxy war where I can spill Ivan's blood. Or maybe even the real deal and take out the ruskies when they drive their tank through the drive through at McDonalds...

reddawn_l.jpg

m26

Contributor
Or exploiting what is already deeply entrenched and therefore necessary to appeal to????

Would YOU join to spitshine toilet seats in defense of your country?

Perhaps that's a better phrase. The difference is negligible.

Not exactly a fair question. I'm pretty sure that's not a rating.

I think (but I haven't BTDT) the military shouldn't be about YOU. It's about something bigger, and there's something to be said for appealing to that, rather than how one can benefit personally from the service.

But I guess I'm making a silly argument. Hell, I'm applying for a program that has absurdly good benefits. And asking people to voluntarily turn down better civilian opportunities purely out of a sense of duty may be asking too much.

I think (but I haven't BTDT) the military shouldn't be about YOU. It's about something bigger, and there's something to be said for appealing to that, rather than how one can benefit personally from the service.

So the military shouldn't advertise at all?

m26

Contributor
So the military shouldn't advertise at all?

I'm saying it'd be nice if the military appealed to potential recruits on a higher level. Defending America, peace, duty, service, all that stuff. And then if people actually enlisted because of that.

Meanwhile back in the real world....

I accidently took a perfectly good thread and made it quasi-serious :eek: Bad penguin!