• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Russia building barracks at Syrian airport

jmcquate

Contributor
I feel that I need to clarify my position Flash (and for the others who are lurking). If the scenario that I laid out happens. I don't think that's it's a bad idea to de-escalate the issue and get out of that shithole. The President remarked that the Russians are inserting themselves into another potential Mid-East quagmire. I voted for the other guy, but I tend to agree with his statement. I'm not sure what our national interest is in injecting American power into a Syrian civil war. That's been a Soviet/Russian backyard......let them get sucked into this shitstorm.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I feel that I need to clarify my position Flash (and for the others who are lurking). If the scenario that I laid out happens. I don't think that's it's a bad idea to de-escalate the issue and get out of that shithole. The President remarked that the Russians are inserting themselves into another potential Mid-East quagmire. I voted for the other guy, but I tend to agree with his statement. I'm not sure what our national interest is in injecting American power into a Syrian civil war. That's been a Soviet/Russian backyard......let them get sucked into this shitstorm.

I largely agree with most of the above, I think they are biting off more than they can chew but stepping into the Syrian quagmire.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
And it gets even more interesting:
4 Russian warships launch 26 missiles against ISIS from Caspian Sea

https://www.rt.com/news/317864-russian-warships-missiles-launch/

You will see Iran drive a ground campaign with Hezbollah/Shiite militia to clean up the remainder anti-government resistance.

And this, boys and girls is how you wage war. We are getting schooled in how to wage war by a guy who rides horses bare-chested.

"Meanwhile, the Russian military has, in the space of a week, cleared the way (literally) for an Iranian gound invasion in Syria on behalf of Assad. Once that's finished (which, if recent events are any indication, should be in about two weeks), the entire campaign will shift to Iraq, where the US will either need to confront Russia or simply pack up and leave."

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Meanwhile, the Russian military has, in the space of a week, cleared the way (literally) for an Iranian gound invasion in Syria on behalf of Assad. Once that's finished (which, if recent events are any indication, should be in about two weeks), the entire campaign will shift to Iraq, where the US will either need to confront Russia or simply pack up and leave."
You do realize RT is basically Putin's propaganda organ in the West, right?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
You do realize RT is basically Putin's propaganda organ in the West, right?

Yeah I get it - The WP, NYT, Reuters all are basically reporting the same facts - weapon release in Caspian Sea, 900 miles over Iran and Iraq - all coordinated diplomatic flyover clearance, etc.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah I get it - The WP, NYT, Reuters all are basically reporting the same facts - weapon release in Caspian Sea, 900 miles over Iran and Iraq - all coordinated diplomatic flyover clearance, etc.
I was referring more to the paragraph I quoted; "rah, rah, here come the Iranians, we're crushing everything before us; Putin forever!" RT is like Xinhua; you're basically getting the sanitized government party line from a much-less-than-free press.

DesertRooster

The King of Nothing
How much intelligence are we getting from the launches and their aircraft in terms of how they operate and their tactics?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
....You will see Iran drive a ground campaign with Hezbollah/Shiite militia to clean up the remainder anti-government resistance.

And this, boys and girls is how you wage war. We are getting schooled in how to wage war by a guy who rides horses bare-chested.

I was referring more to the paragraph I quoted; "rah, rah, here come the Iranians, we're crushing everything before us; Putin forever!" RT is like Xinhua; you're basically getting the sanitized government party line from a much-less-than-free press.

I find it very amusing that folks think the Russians, along with the Iranians and Hezbollah, are going to do so much better than we did in Iraq or are doing in Afghanistan. Iran and Hezbollah have been helping the Syrians for years now and while they have probably helped staunch the bleeding they certainly haven't prevented Syrian forces from being boxed in such a corner the Russians had to ride in to help them all out.

Just what else do folks think the Russians will do that we haven't done in Iraq and Afghanistan? Drop more bombs? Have a more permissive ROE? Use GLONASS-guided munitions instead of GPS ones? Use super-awesome Spetsnaz soldiers that will magically do much better than our own JSOC folks? Or finally break out the bear cavalry? While they may be able to help the Syrians some they aren't going rolling through the streets of Raqqa as conquerors anytime soon.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
While they may be able to help the Syrians some they aren't going rolling through the streets of Raqqa as conquerors anytime soon.

My prediction is that they turn Raqqa into the Syrian Grozny - in another year or so, it won't exist. That's Russian COIN.