• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

running at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolld

Beaver,
Did you ever train with a weighted backpack before you went to OCS? I've been meaning to just go hiking up steep hills with a backpack full of books. Go idea? So we need a fresh new pair of running shoes at OCS?
Thank you for all your great posts.

Beaver

Dolld,
I thought about training with a pack before I left but never got around to it. The humps were tough but nothing that most people there couldn't handle, even without prior conditioning. It never hurts to be in better shape but I wouldn't worry about it too much. My best advice would be to focus on running because that'll set up your endurance, which will carry you through the entire 10 weeks. I'm not sure about the running shoes. We hardly used ours, but we also had terrible weather and therefore didn't have anything close to the regular PT schedule. Some of the running is done in boots and sometimes the running is short. As long as the pair you have aren't trashed, you'll be alright.

Old Fart

I'll second the be-careful warning about running in boots. I was NPQ in 1999 for severe shin splits of all things. Your better off not running in boots at all if your within 3-months or less before you attend OCS. Your body does not have the time to heal at OCS.They will send your butt home if you can't keep up.If you have 6-months plus, slowly work your way into boots, and keep them looking good, so you can take a pair of broken in boots with you. SEMPER FI

Kevin

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Slowly work in the boots means? Do you mean like start off with a mile, and the work up. Or what about just wearing them around? Need some help here.

"For he who serves his fellows, is among his fellows greatest."
- Meteu -

Beaver

A few answers here. EA-6B1, begin by walking in them until they begin to shape themselves to your feet and get comfortable. Then run in them starting with probably no more than a mile and just slowly increase the distance each week or so. There's no exact formula, just don't push yourself hard in the boots. If you're doing it right, you'll probably not get a workout and you'll feel like a puss for a while. Get your workout in your shoes, use the boots to strengthen the muscles that might cause overuse injuries, particularly the lower leg.

tnutz, on pick-up day, the sergeant instructors told everyone who brought their own boots to put them back in their bags because they weren't allowed to use them. The only boots you can use are the new tan ones that they issue. You can buy some that look exactly the same but they aren't recognized by the Corps yet and they won't let you wear them. They must have the eagle, globe, and anchor on the side and I don't believe anyone sells those yet.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
How are the new boots in comparison to the ICB's or jungles? What are they like when they get wet?
snorkel_125.gif
Rumor has it, they may be the source of a sudden increase in leg injuries at OCS. So I guess I shouldn't even bother bringing both pairs of boots back to OCS this summer? Maybe I should just bring the jungles to wear until they issue the new ones. Please tell me what you think about them, Beaver.

P.S. - What kind of care goes into them? I guess you weren't up after taps shining them. (please excuse the rambling)

Beaver

FrogFly, I can't give you the comparison you want because I had almost no experience with boots before going to OCS. The new boots are the only ones I've experienced. What I will tell you is that non of the priors seemed to like them and many of the instructors and staff seemed to think they were crap also. They give you two pair, one ICB and one Jungle, and they take a handy scrub brush to clean them off when they get dirty. Other than that, I didn't do anything to them. A lot of people sprayed campdry on them a lot but they ended up turning black, which may or may not have been from the camp dry. They also tend to tear easily and several of us had the soles of the jungles begin to seperate. So far, they're not looking so good.

FrogFly

Knibb High Football Rules!
Hmmm... Thanks for the info. So instead of shining boots, you spend your time scrubbing them
grumpy_125.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.