• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

running at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cblax2000

I am going to OCS class 183 combined and I have a couple of question for preperations sake. How many days a week do u run, hump, run the O course, stuff like that. And how many days a week cnadidates perform anaerobic workouts such as calestetics. Also what is the food like at OCS, not that I am picky. I'm just wondering if they try to feed u food that is good for and provides the proper ratio of carbs, fats, and protein or if they feed u the cheapest stuff they can get their hands on.

Thanks for the help

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
OCS has one of the best chow halls in the Marine Corps! I ate so good while I was there! You get all the nutrients your body requires (except the Beer group, but you can take care of that on your libo!). Don't sweat it, you'll eat plenty good!

farkle84

food was great. you PT almost every day. you have total of 4 humps i believe. confidence course, endurance course, combat couse, IMC, combat readiness test, PFT *3, and SULE II. dont worry, sounds like a lot which it is. but worth it. good luck

cblax2000

Thanks, I guess the stories about how u only get 1 MRE every other day are just that. JK. About the PT I was just wondering if they had u alternate between running and calestetics every other day. Or if u normally do both one after the other. BTW do u have to swim in OCS? Thanks again

farkle84

you dont swim at OCS. you wade in water. they pretty much have running and calestetics in together. they are called cycles. you run and stop at different stations and exercise eg: push ups, pull ups, situps.

davidsin

check out the schedule for yourself. There's still some things about the schedule that may be french to you as it is to me like "PLT/CMDR" and CO CMDR'S time counseling, but it's very helpful to guage the intensity of the PT.

http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/news.asp

------------------------------------------
Semper Fi

Taxman2A

War were declared.
The main part of your daily workout at OCS will be running, and it will be 6 days a week. Pretty much every physical fitness event is focused on this as well- if you are a good runner, OCS is that much easier.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I noticed they do testing on Sunday's now? That's odd!

Co.Comm. Time is usually used for Drill (marching etc), among other things.

Dolld

Does anyone know about the 11 mile hike. Is that completely running? I don't really know what hiking means in Marine terms. Excuse me for being so elementrary with my vocab.
good day

farkle84

pack full of whatever the Co Cdr decides, boots and utes, rifle and war belt. you have 11 miles of a pretty fast paced walk. about every 2 to 4 miles depending on the terrain you have a 10-12 minute rest to check your feet and fill up your canteens. we also had a 15 mile hike as well.

Dolld

Wow that is a pretty rigorous trek. I think that it does not sound too bad though. I guess I should not even be concerned with this kind of stuff until I actually get accepted into the OCS program. Thanks for the info Farkle84. Are you in TBS now?
Another question: How long after applying, sending in your packet and everything will one find out if they are accepted?
peace out

LadyJayUSN

Dolld: I'm not a Marine, but I've been PTing with the Marines at my unit prepping for OCS this semester (3-4X a week from 0600-0730)and here's a word to the wise:
get used to PT with Boots and Utes: In other words, spend 20 bucks on a pair of jungle boots (you can get them at most surplus stores), get some comfortable insoles, and run in them as much as possible. We do a lot of 4 milers, 3 mile pack-runs, fartleks, etc. The Marines on this forum will certainly correct me if I'm wrong, but we do very little in actual PT gear and tennis shoes. That leads me to believe that you won't do much PT in PT gear and tennis shoes at OCS.

The way I get in shape for their humps (they train with a min. 40lbs pack, kevlar helmet, weapon, and full cammies sleeves down) is I practice on a treadmill at a minor incline at about 4.5 mph. That's a shuffle/run for me (I'm 5'4"), but its the pace they take when they do their humps. So far they've done a 6mi, 8mi, 12mi, and they've got a 15 miler scheduled in April. I can barely keep up for the first mile or so, so I'm sticking with the treadmill until I can keep the pace up for at least an hour or so.

Oh...BTW, I'm Navy, I just PT with the Marines for fun. Any questions about boats, water, or scuttlebutt...just ask.

Yut...kill.

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

Beaver

One suggestion I would add to LadyJay's advice is to take it slow. I saw too many people get lower limb injuries such and shin splints that you don't want to set yourself up for it before you go. Any change in training, especially boots, should be taken slow. During the first few weeks at OCS they had us on a daily rotation between boots and running shoes ('go-fasters' for those who've been there) so our bodies could get used to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.