• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Running at OCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipK96

I was wondering what kind of running is done during PT while in OCS and if you are rolled if you have trouble keeping up to a degree. I'm working on my distance and hope to work up to 4 or 5 miles a day but I've never been much of a runner regardless. If anyone who has been through OCS could give me a little more information it would be very helpful, thanks.

ltmiklos

Chip,
I didn't go through Navy OCS. Instead I went through Navy ROTC, then Marine Corps OCS between my junior and senior years in college. However, I can give you some advice on running. At my OCS, we ran almost every day. The entire time I was there, we only ran in green on green with go-fasters (running shoes) a couple of times. Every other time we ran, we were in boots and uttilities. The best preventative medicine for running ailments is preparation. If you show up unprepared, you will injure yourself and you won't make it through the program. If you find yourself getting shin splints or problems with your feet, make sure you are properly stretching and you can even ice your legs before and after each run. I suggest getting a book on running if you really don't know anything about it.

ltmiklos

Chip,
I didn't go through Navy OCS. Instead I went through Navy ROTC, then Marine Corps OCS between my junior and senior years in college. However, I can give you some advice on running. At my OCS, we ran almost every day. The entire time I was there, we only ran in green on green with go-fasters (running shoes) a couple of times. Every other time we ran, we were in boots and uttilities. The best preventative medicine for running ailments is preparation. If you show up unprepared, you will injure yourself and you won't make it through the program. If you find yourself getting shin splints or problems with your feet, make sure you are properly stretching and you can even ice your legs before and after each run. I suggest getting a book on running if you really don't know anything about it.

ltmiklos

Chip,

ChipK96

Imagine my surprise when I looked at the forum page and saw 10 replies in one day unfortunately they seem to all be the same message haha. Thank you for your advice but that is not exactly where my problem lies. My worry is the actual being in shape part. I know how to run more or less and I've always been active playing football and wrestling in hs and football all through college but in my particular position (DL/OL), distance running isn't particularly stressed so I've never been very good at it. I am however beginning to get my PRT down to a respectable time and plan to be able to easily pass the In PRT at OCS but some of those 4 or 5 mile runs I've been hearing about kinda worry me. Basically my worry is that I'll get to OCS and have some problems with the running and get attrited even though I know I'm more than qualified in every other area. Is the Navy completely pass/fail on things like that or are you able to work on it I guess is what I'm asking.

Adrenaline Rush

hey chip ,,good to see another meathead ex-lineman will be going to OCS...when i played even the d lineman were expected to pursue the ball carrier so we were in shape too...anyways i believe we will be able to make ourselves distance runners in due time, and run past the skinny guys...good luck

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
The biggest thing is that when you get there you are able to pass all the tests. I am in kind of the same boat as far as running abilities. I am happy with my PFA score I have now, which is a 11:30 mile and a half, 70 push ups, 85 sit ups. I am over 30 though, so I get a little more time. The Navy's goal at any of these schools is not to wash you out. They have spent the money to get you there and need replacement bodies out in the fleet. They are there to get you through any way they can using whatever means necessary. They may have to run you into the dirt, but they will get you through. The only thing which would hold you back is not having a 100% dedication to being a Naval Officer. When I went through enlisted boot camp, I made the mistake of being too gung ho and touching my chest to the ground on every push up and got about 3 short of what I needed to pass. With the Company Commander standing over me, I kept pushing in the half up position for the last 45 seconds and never even finished one more push up. Twelve years later I am still in the Navy. I am an instructor now and as long as my students give 110% I will give them all the extra help they need to get them through the course. By the way, I was a defensive lineman/guard in HS and still am 5'8" and 200 pounds. Just do your best and good luck, Rob

ChipK96

Thanks that a big worry off my shoulders, willingness to work is no problem for me, hell if I gotta I'll work 24 hours a day while I'm there. I just didn't want to be DQ'd or something just for problems with running. Also it's good to see some other former linemen that are managing to do this too. I was beginning to think that officers were all skinny marathon runner types haha.

gin_e

do they allow knee or ankle braces while running at ocs? or can you wear running shoes with higher ankle support?

can you wear sunglasses whenever you are outside, or is that outside of uniform?

Status
Not open for further replies.