• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ruh Oh...

exNavyOffRec

My educated guess would be, that since it's one of the older 688i's that it all comes down to EFPH remaining on the core. If it's early in life, it may well be worth salvaging....if it isn't, that cost will put it over the reasonable cost threshold to operate and she'll be struck.

You would think that would be the case, but there have been several cases where good cores with lots of EFPH left scrapped and ones that should have been scrapped were used until the last possible minute.

PRgatech

They can do some amazing stuff with fixing these submarines, if they can cut the nose off of the San Fran and replace it with another I am sure they can fix the Miami, the question is "is this cost effective"

The work done on the San Francisco was pretty impressive, but I would be interested to find out the extent to which the actual pressure hull was damaged. From pictures, it looks like only the main ballast tanks, sonar, and anything housed in the tanks took the majority of the blow. I know the Hatford was a serious undertaking (did an internship at Electric Boat when they were fixing her), since the sail actually listed and warped the pressure hull.

If the Engineers decide that the Miami's hull was compromised then I don't see it being feasible to keep her going. The only thing they could do is splice her with a boat that has been mothballed, and that will be no easy task.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I've read it was $400 million to repair the sub and another $40 million to repair the dockyard. The cause was a short in a vacuum cleaner motor.

I also read somewhere they can just splice the bow off a decommissioned sub on as all the decomm's are original LA classess while Miami is a flight one (?) / newer boat. The big difference being Miami has bow diving planes instead of fairwater diving planes (sail mounted). The article also said the bow sonars, etc. are different.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Everything you said is correct with one minor exception: The official cause of the fire is a vacuumed up piece of slag from welding that smoldered with the other debris inside and eventually caught fire. However, that is proving to be a challenging thing to reproduce.

robav8r

None
Contributor
YHGTBSM !!!! "Multiple" medications for anxiety and depression and this freak show is allowed to work on an SSN ???? Amazing . . .

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Yeah... They let the Goodwill come in and clean our alert facility at Offutt. I oftentimes wonder how they screen them. I know a 3p who was thrown in jail for running on a TRACK in front of the facility, and we are letting people of questionable mental capacity around crews on hard alert... What do I know...

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
Had a young sailor set a fire in the aft steering space on the Saratoga once so we didn't have to leave on a work-up. I don't know what they did to him but I'm sure it wasn't fun. I think it only delayed us about two days.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
This guy should be sentenced to a lifetime of building Russian subs in Vladivostok or Murmansk where the fires are frequent & deadly. He should also have to work chained to his work-station.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
Had a young sailor set a fire in the aft steering space on the Saratoga once so we didn't have to leave on a work-up. I don't know what they did to him but I'm sure it wasn't fun. I think it only delayed us about two days.

When were you on the Sara?

Homer J

I'm with NAVAIR. I'm here to help you.
When were you on the Sara?

January 89-March 91

Made all the workups leading up to the Desert Shield/Desert Storm Cruise as well as the cruise. Got off when we pulled into Mayport on March 28, 1991 and that was the last time I saw her.