• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rotary Wing Roundup (Helos at work in Maritime Environment)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
We do 2p 2p on occasion, but its usually 2 guys that are literally about to walk in to their HAC board.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
1. I don't know how Ops works on the green side or in your squadron, but those pilots fly the LEAST (skeds-Os, at least). Without them in their Ops hole, nothing gets done, so they rarely fly in comparison with certain lazy folks who don't work much.... *ahem* PAO... *AHEM*

I was AOPS for 10 months, and was consistently near / at the top of the hog pile the whole time. I wouldn't say that any of my guys were far behind either. I did have all of our available quals, though, and that was a major contributing factor.

2. Ground turns? Really? Our HACs on det didn't WANT to do ground turns. If it was simply a spin for 10 minutes to get a sample, and nothing remotely FCF related it was... *knock knock*... "Hey, dude.... you're spinning the bird in 30. I'm going to play Wii Mario. Have fun!"

Reread your Wing SOP ... under the current revision (which has been in place for at least the past 6-8 months), this is a no-no.

3. I've got nothing for this one.

As per usual, this could easily have been your first and only bullet :icon_tong

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was AOPS for 10 months, and was consistently near / at the top of the hog pile the whole time. I wouldn't say that any of my guys were far behind either. I did have all of our available quals, though, and that was a major contributing factor.

Reread your Wing SOP ... under the current revision (which has been in place for at least the past 6-8 months), this is a no-no.

As per usual, this could easily have been your first and only bullet :icon_tong

1. Well, that's probably a function of you being a qualled up guy, more than being in Ops. The guys who fly the most here are of course the LVL III Jedi master golden boys, ops or otherwise.

2. Maybe I'm missing something, and if I am please point it out, because I'm about to go to my HAC board but what I'm reading in Wing SOP says:

"Engaged turns. One H2P and an observer to read the checklist and guard the collective is the minimum crew requirement in order to engage the rotor system. A pilot shall always occupy the right seat, and the left seat observer shall have operable ICS."

In my mind, that's an H2P in the right seat, and a PQM/crewman in the left. Squadron SOP corroborates the previous assumptions as well, assuming no FCF procedures involved.

3. Yeah, that joke is still funny, and STILL fresh. *yawn*

KBayDog

Without them in their Ops hole, nothing gets done...

BTW, green side Ops also has this highly delusional attitude. Ops may create a daily flight schedule (which always mirrors the weekly/monthly schedules...haha...) and hook themselves up with quals, good-deal flights, frags, etc., but there is NOTHING Ops does that anyone else can't do. In fact, in the Corps, we all have collateral duties, but somehow we also all work for Ops (usually when there's nobody left in Ops, because they're all out flying).

Flight/mission planning? ODO? Reports? Training? Are these the functions that cannot be done without Ops? Sounds like basic aviator stuff that we all do, if you ask me. *yawn*

You want to know who gets things done? Who enables Ops to pad their logbooks and fatten their NATOPS jackets?

There are exactly two people who make it happen:

1. Worker
2. CDI

(If you don't believe me, watch what happens when you try to fly your next Ops Flying Club VFR-direct out-and-in to (insert FBO here) for lunch (and hook each other up with all sorts of Xs and quals) and you don't have a worker and CDI on hand to troubleshoot and fix your seventh Fetzer valve or bypass line...)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
BTW, green side Ops also has this highly delusional attitude. Ops may create a daily flight schedule (which always mirrors the weekly/monthly schedules...haha...) and hook themselves up with quals, good-deal flights, frags, etc., but there is NOTHING Ops does that anyone else can't do. In fact, in the Corps, we all have collateral duties, but somehow we also all work for Ops (usually when there's nobody left in Ops, because they're all out flying).

Flight/mission planning? ODO? Reports? Training? Are these the functions that cannot be done without Ops? Sounds like basic aviator stuff that we all do, if you ask me. *yawn*

You want to know who gets things done? Who enables Ops to pad their logbooks and fatten their NATOPS jackets?

There are exactly two people who make it happen:

1. Worker
2. CDI

(If you don't believe me, watch what happens when you try to fly your next Ops Flying Club VFR-direct out-and-in to (insert FBO here) for lunch (and hook each other up with all sorts of Xs and quals) and you don't have a worker and CDI on hand to troubleshoot and fix your seventh Fetzer valve or bypass line...)

What is the Cross-country you speak of? (completely ignoring the rest of the content of your post :p)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Andersen to Apra.

Only real other place to land would be Agana, and I'm pretty confident that all of Guam fits into the "local flying area" category. Pretty jealous of the good-deal trips to vegas/tahoe/insert cool place that the seawall guys get, rare as they may be.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Only real other place to land would be Agana, and I'm pretty confident that all of Guam fits into the "local flying area" category. Pretty jealous of the good-deal trips to vegas/tahoe/insert cool place that the seawall guys get, rare as they may be.

The only cross countries I got at my sea tour were to repo the birds for various dets.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
The only cross countries I got at my sea tour were to repo the birds for various dets.

The flights down to AUTEC were a real hassle... You have to fly about 4 hours to then spend a week in the Bahamas doing a bunch of flying...

For the pointy-nose guys, think of it like a Key West Det but without all the bars and the freaks.

SH-60OB

pilot
After bringing it up on my first cruise, the wing send out a change to their SOP that basically forbade shipboard or OCONUS 2P-2P flights. Not that it mattered - yours is the first I've heard of period, and I still haven't heard of any in HSC-land.

Did one as a 2P at sea as did most of my contemporaries. As an OIC I fought for the opportunity to get my 2Ps a flight at sea but was shot down by the front office. Pretty sure our syllabus at the time required a 2P/2P flight and they generally got done at HG. Personally I think there is a lot of value added to it.