• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rotary Wing Roundup (Helos at work in Maritime Environment)

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, that's what "ours" says, too, but it's a change from the previous version. I'm just curious if this was normal before SuperHawk, since it wasn't "allowed" per Natops.

I'm pretty sure that's what it has always said since I did utility missions as a PQM.

Pags

N/A
pilot
This is one thing I've never understood about the Navy... Not trying to be a dick - but why the huge differentiation between PQM and 2P? In the Phrog world (and I'm using this as an example, because the T/M/S mirrors that of the old HC community, which ties in to the new HSC community) we left the RAG as a 2P. You can't tell me that the mission sets are all THAT much more sporty than the old HC world (minus the ability to fire a HF).

Technically as a 2P you can sign for the aircraft when you're flying with another 2P. As Squorch sarcastically pointed out, a 2P-2P flight is such a rare event that it hardly bares mentioning.

Currently it's tied to your ACTC level. No 2P until you're LVL 2.

2P was also just an interim level. A 2P board usually covered some advanced NATOPS stuff such as increased emphasis on Notes, Warnings, and Cautions and required a thorough understanding of all your supporting pubs like Air Capable Ships, Gator and CV NATOPS, the UNREP Manual.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
A 2P board usually covered some advanced NATOPS stuff such as increased emphasis on Notes, Warnings, and Cautions and required a thorough understanding of all your supporting pubs like Air Capable Ships, Gator and CV NATOPS, the UNREP Manual.

In HS-3 the big questions on the H2P board were Stabilator issues (it was a downing discrepancy back then) and explaining the blade fold system and sequence.

It was really funny when a 60B shut down on deck of the JFK because of a chip light and the pilots did not know how to fold the blades.
We sent a pilot up to fold them but ended up needing the cheater box....

Pags

N/A
pilot
It was really funny when a 60B shut down on deck of the JFK because of a chip light and the pilots did not know how to fold the blades.

After one of my first flights at my fleet squadron the PC asked me to fold the blades. I'd been left to do the water wash with a junior crewman and they didn't cover how to fold the blades at the RAG. It was quite the shit show.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
^^^

It used to be even worse than that- some squadrons had a PQM syllabus for the new guys fresh from the FRS (something like a couple flights, maybe a sim and an open book test, I can't exactly remember all of the harassment, er, fine details) but before they could start the squadron's H2P syllabus. Go figure.

That's the way it is out here. PQM syllabus is really one flight, but 3 events (island fam/ep fam/SAREX) and CR exam. H2P is just a couple flights, but mostly the H2P open book exam (centurian) which is long and painful and a 2 hourish board covering NATOPS/SOPS/OPNAV/SHIP PUBS. It "supposed" to be tied to ACTC, but not really on the pilot side. We still make H2Ps without necessarily being LVL II and we make unqualled HACs to do EP/day FAMs until they get through the LVL III syllabus.

After one of my first flights at my fleet squadron the PC asked me to fold the blades. I'd been left to do the water wash with a junior crewman and they didn't cover how to fold the blades at the RAG. It was quite the shit show.

It didn't occur to me to read through that checklist until my first water wash on the boat when the HAC hopped out.... It was... interesting, but luckily I didn't Eff it away too badly.

phrogpilot73

I'm surprised that you guys don't leave the FRS as 2Ps. I think your FRS is longer than ours (it took me about 4 months to get through the USMC Phrog FRS), and we cover everything that you talked about - minus the Shipboard Pubs. Yes, even blade fold. We don't have a LVL II/III syllabus - it used to be combat capable/combat ready phases now it's core skill and core skill +. And even that is tailored now based on which expeditionary skill set is required for the squadron to maintain. I was wondering if squorch was tongue-in-cheeking the 2P-2P flights. If not, I was going to be jealous. In >1700 hrs in the Phrog, I have seen a 2P-2P flight exactly NEVER, and have heard of them happening exactly NEVER.

However, now I'm busy ramping up for a new (yet to be released to the fleet) syllabus - ASI. Air Show Instructor. ;)

KBayDog

In >1700 hrs in the Phrog, I have seen a 2P-2P flight exactly NEVER, and have heard of them happening exactly NEVER.

However, now I'm busy ramping up for a new (yet to be released to the fleet) syllabus - ASI. Air Show Instructor. ;)

1. >1700 Phrog hours? You were in the Ops Phlying Club, weren't you? Dick.

2. Never seen (or even heard considered) a 2P/2P flight. I've never even seen a 2P/2P ground turn (i.e., for troubleshooting). In fact, the only thing I've seen 2Ps permitted to do in the bird is ride the brakes on Das Boat.

3. ASI? Who is going to be your FLSE, and when's your evaluation flight? Lemme guess - the ILS was installed to facilitate easier air show - air show navigation?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've seen the 2P-2P flight once on my second cruise. It's usually reserved for the very end of deployment as a good deal, non-operational flight. We cycled our three 2Ps through, keeping one of them as the PIC the whole time. I wasn't worried about two of the three of them, which is why we cycled the third through w/ the others. I did pull all three aside and tell them not to do anything stupid and if there were any problems, don't hesitate to call me or the OIC up to Combat so we could help. They did fine and the bird survived to fly another day.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

2. Never seen (or even heard considered) a 2P/2P flight. I've never even seen a 2P/2P ground turn (i.e., for troubleshooting). In fact, the only thing I've seen 2Ps permitted to do in the bird is ride the brakes on Das Boat.

3. ASI? Who is going to be your FLSE, and when's your evaluation flight? Lemme guess - the ILS was installed to facilitate easier air show - air show navigation?

1. I don't know how Ops works on the green side or in your squadron, but those pilots fly the LEAST (skeds-Os, at least). Without them in their Ops hole, nothing gets done, so they rarely fly in comparison with certain lazy folks who don't work much.... *ahem* PAO... *AHEM*

2. Ground turns? Really? Our HACs on det didn't WANT to do ground turns. If it was simply a spin for 10 minutes to get a sample, and nothing remotely FCF related it was... *knock knock*... "Hey, dude.... you're spinning the bird in 30. I'm going to play Wii Mario. Have fun!"

3. I've got nothing for this one.

phrogpilot73

Save for one deployment (8 months) as the S-6, one deployment (7 months) as the S-4A, and a year in the reserve squadron as the ASO... I've been in Ops the whole time. Not that I want to be - but that damned chicken patch keeps forcing me in there. Might as well take advantage though!

You forgot preflight and carry the spare set of NVGs...

FLSE? Dude, this is the reserves - I'm going to give myself the check ride! I was proposed to be the FLSE for the group, but I think the Reserves are largely ignorning that since we only have one Phrog squadron per group. Kind of redundant.

Don't know when the mod team is finishing the ILS install, but I'm hoping I get to fly it up to Fleet Week NYC (for those keeping track, that's FOUR Fleet Weeks in a row for THIS guy)...

1. I don't know how Ops works on the green side or in your squadron...
You can stop right there.[/QUOTE]
What he said.

All I'll say is that Ops guys are always the high guys for the month on the hog board, and have all their quals...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
I've seen the 2P-2P flight once on my second cruise.
After bringing it up on my first cruise, the wing send out a change to their SOP that basically forbade shipboard or OCONUS 2P-2P flights. Not that it mattered - yours is the first I've heard of period, and I still haven't heard of any in HSC-land.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor

I did an airshow down in Ft Myers and the Air Force F-16 there was the Base Demo Pilot. He is/was the only person from his base qual'd to fly in an airshow. He had a syllabus to become the pilot and the base CO had signed off on the plan for his flight.

He was asking me what the qual process was to fly in the airshow and I told him it was a sit down with my Skipper who told me, "Don't f*ck it away".

Pags

N/A
pilot
After bringing it up on my first cruise, the wing send out a change to their SOP that basically forbade shipboard or OCONUS 2P-2P flights. Not that it mattered - yours is the first I've heard of period, and I still haven't heard of any in HSC-land.

One of your HACs had a 2p-2p flight.