• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Romeos Vs. Sierras

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
We're all PQMs in H-60, so qualified copilots for a variety of missions, but can't sign for an aircraft unless at least H2P (i.e., FRS stint in TMS)

You can sign for an aircraft without a FRS stint, it just requires a CO to be willing to designate you. I was both Romeo and Bravo qual'ed, as well as HAC and IP qual'ed in both up until the B went away. To make it even more confusing, my second to last Bravo flight was a FRS syllabus event for a former Army UH-60 pilot.

@FLGUY , the creation of the SuperHawk NATOPs made all of this possible.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Back to the defense blog .com article on a maritime strike future vertical lift replacement airframe, what are -60 pilots’ thoughts on what comes next after the Romeo and Sierra?

Watching the CMV-22 struggle to fully replace the C-2 makes me wonder if the Navy should just “keep it simple sailor” and stick with a non-tiltrotor design for the Romeo and Sierra mission sets.

I realize the article doesn’t specify a tiltrotor is the path the Navy is going, but the word parallels with the Army’s “future vertical lift” tiltrotor program are hard to ignore.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Back to the defense blog .com article on a maritime strike future vertical lift replacement airframe, what are -60 pilots’ thoughts on what comes next after the Romeo and Sierra?

Watching the CMV-22 struggle to fully replace the C-2 makes me wonder if the Navy should just “keep it simple sailor” and stick with a non-tiltrotor design for the Romeo and Sierra mission sets.

I realize the article doesn’t specify a tiltrotor is the path the Navy is going, but the word parallels with the Army’s “future vertical lift” tiltrotor program are hard to ignore.
MH-60X with best proven engines available (401D?), cabin doors on both sides, tail wheel in the right place, mission system computers the size of laptops mounted on the bulkheads to make room for 7-10 troops/pax, sono launcher, dipping sonar that isn’t French, rowdy badass radar, ALQ-2XX digital ESM, data link, survivability, and unmanned-ready flight control computer (but not fly-by-wire).

And cup holders.

Edit: and zero Lockheed-Martin proprietary code.

WhiskeySierra6

pilot
MH-60X with best proven engines available (401D?), cabin doors on both sides, tail wheel in the right place, mission system computers the size of laptops mounted on the bulkheads to make room for 7-10 troops/pax, sono launcher, dipping sonar that isn’t French, rowdy badass radar, ALQ-2XX digital ESM, data link, survivability, and unmanned-ready flight control computer (but not fly-by-wire).
Don you mean from ADA and SAMs? Because that usually requires altitude, airspeed, available G, on board (or off board EA) , and a good expendables dispenser. I've never seen an MH-60X and I'm not a rotary wing guy so take that for what it's worth but, I think any helo will have an issue with at least 3 of those.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

And cup holders.

Edit: and zero Lockheed-Martin proprietary code.

Not an exact match to your specifications - but in the right spirit...

Odominable

PILOT HMSD TRACK FAIL
pilot
Don you mean from ADA and SAMs? Because that usually requires altitude, airspeed, available G, on board (or off board EA) , and a good expendables dispenser. I've never seen an MH-60X and I'm not a rotary wing guy so take that for what it's worth but, I think any helo will have an issue with at least 3 of those.
Not that guy but as another helo dude survivability is let’s say a relative term compared to what you’re probably used to. Without getting too weird on specifics, generally speaking survivability in a helicopter is talking about IR missile defeat from both a passive and active perspective, reducing small arms/ADA susceptibility, and improving RF SA, if not true protection.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
You can sign for an aircraft without a FRS stint, it just requires a CO to be willing to designate you. I was both Romeo and Bravo qual'ed, as well as HAC and IP qual'ed in both up until the B went away. To make it even more confusing, my second to last Bravo flight was a FRS syllabus event for a former Army UH-60 pilot.

@FLGUY , the creation of the SuperHawk NATOPs made all of this possible.
I'm not sharp on when the language changed, but R & S NATOPS got a little less Super in Chap 5, where both state something along the lines of "CNATRA or other CNO-approved syllabus..." for H2P/HAC. Regardless of the intent, my experience since ~2017 is that the Commodores/MMs/PMs interpret this as "FRS".

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

And cup holders.

You forgot MAD (or DMAD, if that's ever coming). Yeah, I know, the dipper takes a lot of the guess work out of it, but for someone not dipping (passive or a coordinated attack), it gives a super-warm and fuzzy feeling on the attack run and you see the spike/little M pop up.

I'm not sharp on when the language changed, but R & S NATOPS got a little less Super in Chap 5, where both state something along the lines of "CNATRA or other CNO-approved syllabus..." for H2P/HAC. Regardless of the intent, my experience since ~2017 is that the Commodores/MMs/PMs interpret this as "FRS".

It's possible it changed. I have a feeling they also looked at it as I went from Bravo-FRS complete/Bravo-current (operationally) to Romeo FRS/Romeo-current, back to the ability to fly the Bravo (while Romeo-current). So I had gone through the Bravo syllabus and never lost -60 SuperHawk currency.

Whether the wording changed or didn't, the FRS CO/P-Deputy was cool with it. I assume the CDRE was aware, since I worked for him, but maybe that assumption was a stretch (I can't remember). Where it got more confusing was my NATOPS Evals were signed by the CDRE, but the MDL and IP designation was signed by the FRS CO AND my Bravo IP designation was signed by the FRS CO and Squadron CO. I want to say I had a separate Bravo MDL, as well, to keep the NATOPS nerds happy, but I think that was kept in a separate jacket at the squadron for inspection purposes. It was a weird time.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None

Not an exact match to your specifications - but in the right spirit...
We flew this one directly from West Palm and dropped it there in Huntsville. The WPB guys said it was going to be some sort of VIP aircraft.
Calico.jpg
It was a lot of fun. Some of the foreign sales Black Hawks had the APU hydraulic pump handle access on the outside and some circuit breakers tagged out that said something to the effect of " Do not reset this circuit breaker. Equipment has not been tested and may pose a fire hazard if energized." I probably flew at least a dozen aircraft from WPB and Lakehurst that each had less than 10 hours on them. You didn't always know what you were going to get when you picked it up for delivery.

Last edited: