• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Romeos Vs. Sierras

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Totally random (and possibly dumb) question from a FW guy, but has anybody in helo land ever been dual-qualed in both the Romeo and Sierra? I figure if TACAIR guys do it, someone in RW must have at some point.

MGoBrew11

pilot
Totally random (and possibly dumb) question from a FW guy, but has anybody in helo land ever been dual-qualed in both the Romeo and Sierra? I figure if TACAIR guys do it, someone in RW must have at some point.
Yeah it happens frequently actually. HSM guys go fly Sierras for station SAR. Believe all NAWDC birds are also Sierras and Romeo pilots also fly those.

Last edited:

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
Lots of people. There’s a formal process for combining the natops check. Nawdc instructors, test, etc all might hold simultaneous dual quals. There’s also plenty of people who switch for shore duty (station sar) and then switch back.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Lots of people. There’s a formal process for combining the natops check. Nawdc instructors, test, etc all might hold simultaneous dual quals. There’s also plenty of people who switch for shore duty (station sar) and then switch back.

Is the station SAR helo the HH-60? Same version that HSC-84/85 flew? You’ve piqued my interest.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
In addition to the other great answers:
  • Every H-60 test pilot at HX-21 gets dual-qualed
  • A few bubbas at VX-1 get a dual HAC letter.
  • We're all PQMs in H-60, so qualified copilots for a variety of missions, but can't sign for an aircraft unless at least H2P (i.e., FRS stint in TMS)
Reverse question from the RW side: can 18 bubbas get a single NATOPS check to requal in E, F, & G?

I know there's been at least one Seahawk NATOPS check to requal F,H,R,S in one shot.

Sonog

pilot

do they sierra dudes have to learn runaway dome????

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
do they sierra dudes have to learn runaway dome????
If you're going to have a HAC letter for both TMS, then yes, you'll be tested on EPs from both. The dip-to-dip requirement for a Romeo NATOPS check can be done in either aircraft, as long as the (A)NI has a Romeo (A)NI qual.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
As far back as November/December 1992 I flew missions as an H2P in the HH-60H and SH-60F during my CCDG staff tour. I was an SH-60B HAC. I never got signed off as a HAC in the F or H, but did fly both as H2P into Somalia. Other than a few Pax River guys, there weren't many switching/combining platforms yet.

In the guard I regularly flew as an MTP and IP in the UH and HH-60 A, L and M for a long time. I even flew a few EH-60As, but they weren't any different than the UH-60As. The M flew a lot differently than the others, being tail heavy and having wide chord blades. Limitations and some of the EPs were different as well. Test flights were quite a bit different due to significant engine, transmission, avionics and AFCS differences. I was glad to drop the A & L models eventually.

hscs

pilot
If you're going to have a HAC letter for both TMS, then yes, you'll be tested on EPs from both. The dip-to-dip requirement for a Romeo NATOPS check can be done in either aircraft, as long as the (A)NI has a Romeo (A)NI qual.
Surprised after all these years that dip to dip is still on the card.