• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Gator, I think on a 2-bird det we got 3 LSOs and 3 LSO/UIs paid..
Single bird det, 2 LSO/2 UIs, normally the OIC did not get the flight deck pay, but there were some OICs that made it rotate amongst the det.

Yeah, I know the small deck rules, I was wondering about how the CVs/squadrons do it vs what the instruction says.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
KC wasn't minimizing the job of the LSO. He was merely engaging in good natured ribbing - a trait to be emulated, for sure. And I'll leave it at that. ;)

Brett

Ribbing should come from the initiated. Like having a certain WSO in our Airwing make a "meow" over marshall when someone would request a mode 1. It's funny from another pilot, but a backseater thats never flown a pass in their life, it's not funny from (especially at night to 1/3 mile).

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ribbing should come from the initiated. Like having a certain WSO in our Airwing make a "meow" over marshall when someone would request a mode 1. It's funny from another pilot, but a backseater thats never flown a pass in their life, it's not funny from (especially at night to 1/3 mile).

Maybe you just lack a sense of humor.

Brett

slurvin

It's good cape weather, cool, breezy
Sorry this might be a stupid question but does being an LSO count for a aviator's ground job while at sea? If yes how is the aviator/LSO graded by a superior? (no bad judgment/crashes with landing aircraft?) If no do they get a 'light' (as in not a lot of work required) ground job or do they in sense get the shaft and have two ground jobs?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry this might be a stupid question but does being an LSO count for a aviator's ground job while at sea? If yes how is the aviator/LSO graded by a superior? (no bad judgment/crashes with landing aircraft?) If no do they get a 'light' (as in not a lot of work required) ground job or do they in sense get the shaft and have two ground jobs?

It's considered a watch/duty of sorts and LSOs will generally not stand other forms of duty (SDO, etc) while on the boat. Like anything else, your overall performance and reputation will be factored into your FITREP, so if you suck, people will generally know.

Brett

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Maybe you just lack a sense of humor.

Brett

That'd be like me making fun of you for not being able to do..... uh.... whatever it is you guys do in the back of that thing (other than make my radios not work). Because I can't do it! Which is a general requirement for ribbing someone IMO.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That'd be like me making fun of you for not being able to do..... uh.... whatever it is you guys do in the back of that thing (other than make my radios not work). Because I can't do it! Which is a general requirement for ribbing someone IMO.

Like I said. :rolleyes:

Brett

jmac12

Junior and single seat - No where in my post did I bash the job that LSO's do.
As a fairly senior JO in my squadron, I have the opportunity to fly with nuggets and soon to be nuggets like the two of you behind the boat on a fairly regular basis. I can tell you that no one appreciates what LSO's do more than the guy in the back, particularly at night / in the goo.
I'm pretty sure that not having actually flown a pass doesn't restrict me from making fun of the mannerisms that make LSO's who they are. They are part of the team, just like the single seat guys, WSO's, ECMO's, Hawkeye guys, and everyone else that is fair game in this business. Have fun with your six ground jobs.

Paddles

Stby for a long post...
LSO training:
Once you hit the fleet it will depend on timing and attitude if you become an LSO. It's mostly on-the-job training: starting with learning to write the LSO shorthand (usually the FNG job), then you will learn the positions of each LSO on the platform and how to use the equipment. Next you are the controlling LSO (the dude that says roger ball) that is primarily concerned with deviations from glideslope. You will also learn how to use the ARBs (deal with emergency configurations). Finally you go to the back up position (primarily concerned with lineup) but also making sure deck is clear, gear set, proper winds, backing up glideslope, etc. Last you will become a team lead and train the new guys and be more concerned with the big picture.
# of LSOs- 4 per VFA, 3 per VAQ/VAW (at least that's how many get flt deck pay)
Quals:
Fld- can only wave your a/c type at fld. FNG (get during workups)
Sqd- can only wave your a/c type at boat. (after at least 1 cruise)
Wing- wave anything day/night. (after 2 cruises)
Training- Wing qual that can teach students (FRS/Tracom)
Staff- Cag paddles assigned to airwing (Dis-sea tour)
All quals wave all a/c, but their has to be at least one LSO with the above qual on the platform responsible for the recovery.
Like anything else timing is important for becoming an LSO. Having a good attitude and being able to debrief/train guys is important to becoming a respected LSO. And if you can't maintain an above average ball flying gpa you will not be an LSO for long.

BTW- NFOs (especially ECMOs) know about as much about being an LSO as a pilot knows about the ALQ-99, but you gotta respect the ones that go to the boat with a RAG stud.

Junior

pilot
Junior and single seat - No where in my post did I bash the job that LSO's do.
As a fairly senior JO in my squadron, I have the opportunity to fly with nuggets and soon to be nuggets like the two of you behind the boat on a fairly regular basis. I can tell you that no one appreciates what LSO's do more than the guy in the back, particularly at night / in the goo.
I'm pretty sure that not having actually flown a pass doesn't restrict me from making fun of the mannerisms that make LSO's who they are. They are part of the team, just like the single seat guys, WSO's, ECMO's, Hawkeye guys, and everyone else that is fair game in this business. Have fun with your six ground jobs.
After writing my original post I figured I had taken your post the wrong way and a little too seriously. Whatever, I owe you a beer.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Would you say that being an LSO makes you a better pilot over time (in terms of your landing grades, etc)?