• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Are in-flight arrestments bad?

:)

Pretend you're the guy in the white uni ... they're kinda' like this:

nice%20foul%20marvin.jpg

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Attached is a pic of the LSO Display System. Raises and lowers hydraulically. Included is a whole bunch of headsets, radios/phones, ILARTS, ISIS, Mr. Hand, etc.

Not many pictures out there of the equipment, so I thought I'd post. Not an LSO nor claim to be, but own a lot of the green shirts who maintain this stuff.

Attachments

• lsods.JPG
    lsods.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 137

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Attached is a pic of the LSO Display System. Raises and lowers hydraulically. Included is a whole bunch of headsets, radios/phones, ILARTS, ISIS, Mr. Hand, etc.....
Wow ... looks like Star Wars to me .... now THAT's one thing that's changed in the positive category, I would assume ... as long as it continues to work 4.0.

Which brings up a point: LSO's who "depend" on the equipment will eventually reach the day of reckoning when they have to bring a 25-plane recovery aboard w/ the LENS/MOVLAS, Mk1Mod0 eyeball and ear ... only. :)

The equipment's great and should be used when available .... but ....

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Is this more your style, A4s??

So. . .on the Lex, the net for Paddles to jump in doesn't seem all that far down, maybe 2 feet below the deck edge. Is that common? Seems like if it was a bad day and you wanted to actually jump, you'd want to be significantly farther away from the carnage.

Paddles

This is gear is really just some improved radios and plat camera. It still requires the LSOs to use their mk 1 mod 0 standard issue eyeball.

The benefits of this stuff is it increases your SA with better Comms allowing you to monitor more freqs or call J-dials on the ship at the same time. Yes, you can talk on the phone and wave simultaneously (not always a good idea). Also allows easy access to ARBs, Winds, Lens info, gear settings, etc.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems like if it was a bad day and you wanted to actually jump, you'd want to be significantly farther away from the carnage.

Or in the other direction entirely...

Cutlass04.jpg

Cutlass08.jpg

Watch video and see how fast this Paddles had to be to escape being roasted aboard USS Hancock with the VF-124 F7U Cutlass drifted left and got slow and cocked up at the ramp

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Or in the other direction entirely...

Cutlass04.jpg

Cutlass08.jpg

Watch video and see how fast this Paddles had to be to escape being roasted aboard USS Hancock with the VF-124 F7U Cutlass drifted left and got slow and cocked up at the ramp

He's PRT complete for another 6 months after that one.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Is this more your style, A4s??

So. . .on the Lex, the net for Paddles to jump in doesn't seem all that far down, maybe 2 feet below the deck edge. Is that common? ....

Actually ... your platform set-up is much nicer than we ever had -- whether it be 27C's or big decks -- specifically, our PLATs only worked @ 50% of the time (must have been a design defect -- and it was tough to see/use in the day in any case :)) and we did not have that nice Plexiglas "cover" for the radio/ship comm-boxes, roll and basic angle gauges, and the phone/pickle jacks .... we only had a big metal cover that was an "all or nothing" proposition ... as when we waved, the cover was off and that was that ... and when we secured & shut down, we pulled the cover back over the comm equipment (equipment as pictured in your example).

Most of the nets I saw and used, including the LEXINGTON, were MUCH more than "maybe 2 feet" to the bottom ... more like 6-8 feet as you would need to egress the net to the weather deck and into a safety of a deck-edge hatch should you ever end up in a pile of assholes & elbows at the bottom of the net w/ burning JP spilling over from a flight deck crash. :eek:

Sometimes ... while waiting between recoveries after debriefing ... we'd jump into the net and catch some "Z's" or just "zone" while looking down 50' at the water passing by as it was relatively "safer" and not WX or noise impacted (again; it's all relative) like remaining on the PLATFORM would have been.

And then, of course, on one ship we dragged around a man-sized hole at the bottom of the net for two (three?) line periods w/ no "fix" by the Air Department, even though I bitched about it almost every day to the Leading CPO and @ every week to the BOSS. Totally UNSAT and unsafe, to boot.

HEY -- it wasn't THEIR ass that was going to drop 50 feet into the sea if the PLATFORM ever cleared itself into the "net" in extremis .... was it ??? :)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None

HEY -- it wasn't THEIR ass that was going to drop 50 feet into the sea if the PLATFORM ever cleared itself into the "net" in extremis .... was it ??? :)

You could've fixed that by refusing to wave. Our PLAT cam went down and rumor has it, was fixed by that very same tactic.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You could've fixed that by refusing to wave. Our PLAT cam went down and rumor has it, was fixed by that very same tactic.

No can do: I had "shipmates" airborne ... and I owed THEM the best I had ... sometimes you just have to "do it" and bitch about it later ...

In my day, "not waving" was not an option, and no one would ever have ever taken it even if it were ...

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
No can do: I had "shipmates" airborne ... and I owed THEM the best I had ... sometimes you just have to "do it" and bitch about it later ...

In my day, "not waving" was not an option, and no one would ever have ever taken it even if it were ...

Well.. ours came to light prior to launch. Obviously NO ONE is ever going to leave his brothers up there hanging. I may have killed myself. They waived several recoveries with no PLAT and the continuous reminders that paddles has no way to check line up... "you own it." Yikes!

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another random picture of carrier landing equipment....

This time the MOVLAS 1 rig; up close and personal.

Attachments

• IMG_0113reduced.JPG
    IMG_0113reduced.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 134

2ndGen

Third times a charm
Ok, so I just got done reading the entire PICTURE GALLERY thread and have a few legit questions.

1. I have read that depending on what a/c is coming abord, you need 2-3 LSOs at the platform. Why is there about a dozen in all the recent photos?

2.What is the big differences between a/c types, why would you be able to wave a Hornet, but not a Hawkeye?

3. Can you be deployed aboard a CVN as just an LSO, and
not fly?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, so I just got done reading this entire thread and have a few legit questions.

1. I have read that depending on what a/c is coming abord, you need 2-3 LSOs at the platform. Why is there about a dozen in all the recent photos?

2.What is the big differences between a/c types, why would you be able to wave a Hornet, but not a Hawkeye?

3. Can you be deployed aboard a CVN as just an LSO, and
not fly?

web_060622-N-7130B-229.jpg

US Navy

Since you have been patiently waiting for the duty LSO to arrive, I'll give you an interim response:

web_061012-N-9742R-360.jpg

US Navy

1. The reason you see so many is every Tailhook squadron has a duty LSO on the Platfrom in addition to at least one of the CAG LSOs (AKA CAG "Paddles").

LSOs monitoring final moments of the pass before turning to the next aircraft that is 45 seconds behind it

web_070115-N-5345W-079.jpg

The ones that matter for each pass are holding the pickle and phone. There is a controlling LSO and a back-up with a Wing Qual. There is also a Writer who transcribes each pass for later debrief to respective pilot as well as duty enlisted type calling "Foul" or "Clear" Deck for LSOs.

Controlling LSO with phone and writer with pass log

web_060808-N-6293B-032.jpg

US Navy

2. First you get qualled to wave your squadron's aircraft and later work up to a Wing Qual. That's what all the other LSOs are doing while observing; learning the ropes for "waving" other aircraft.

VFA-83 LSO waving VFA-103 Super Hornet aboard

web_061107-N-3910W-058.jpg

US Navy

3. The two Wing LSOs belong to the Carrier Air Wing and fly 1-2 type aircraft in the Air Wing. Flying goes with the job along with bragging rights on your float coat

web_080111-N-2880M-145.jpg

US Navy