• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Roger Ball, good and not-so-good questions about the world of "Paddles"

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Oh good god I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates that damn saying. I'm convinced someone who had nothing to do with aviation coined that phrase.

Almost as bad as a non-aviator saying he hates that phrase.

Problem with these threads is we get the non-aviators adding their two cents which from most of us winged aviators, it would be worth at least two cents. In their case, it's not even worth that.

USNMark

Almost as bad as a non-aviator saying he hates that phrase.

Problem with these threads is we get the non-aviators adding their two cents which from most of us winged aviators, it would be worth at least two cents. In their case, it's not even worth that.

Another problem is that some winged aviators on this site think that unless there's a set of gold wings below a user's name, the person must not have any aviation background at all. Unless you're referring only to non-Naval Aviators (in which case yes I am certainly not an NA), please don't call me a non-aviator (though I merely call myself a pilot. At least the FAA does...).

By the way, your signature line makes me laugh every time I see it. :) Where'd you catch that?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another problem is that some winged aviators on this site think that unless there's a set of gold wings below a user's name, the person must not have any aviation background at all. Unless you're referring only to non-Naval Aviators (in which case yes I am certainly not an NA), please don't call me a non-aviator (though I merely call myself a pilot. At least the FAA does...).

Still another problem is self-described "SNA wannabe"s copping attitudes with senior, experienced Naval Aviators over the breadth of their private flight experience. In this context - landing at the Boat - Bunky's BTDT, you haven't.

phrogpilot73

Oh good god I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates that damn saying. I'm convinced someone who had nothing to do with aviation coined that phrase.
Actually upon further research, that saying originated over 100 years ago. In a time where it was quite common to crash a plane while trying to discover flight. So while we may not know who said it first, I'd be willing to bet that it was a tongue-in-cheek statement made by one of the pioneers of flight. In the same vein, I found this quote:

Charlie Kisslejack said:
If you can fill out the yellow sheet with Jack Black in your hand instead of an I.V. in your arm, it was a good landing.
So I guess it's just you. Please continue to regale us with your tales of general aviation background and glory.

Edit - Further research yielded this gem:
Gerald R. Massie said:
Any landing you can walk away from is a good one!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

By the way, your signature line makes me laugh every time I see it. :) Where'd you catch that?

This site is about Naval Aviation and unless you have wings of gold under your avatar, your opinion about many things related to Naval Aviation (specifically landing at the boat) means exactly jack squat. Without those wings, I could care less what you've done in the past as far as flying and in my eyes, you are a wannabe, NON-AVIATOR. Any other questions, comments, concerns?

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I enjoy the art of STFU and hearing it from the pros. But thats just my 00 cents.

USNMark

Please continue to regale us with your tales of general aviation background and glory.

You asked for it.... I'm kidding of course.

your opinion about many things related to Naval Aviation (specifically landing at the boat) means exactly jack squat.

Good thing I wasn't specifically talking about landing at the boat then. (threadjack on my part?) :sleep_125

Ladies:
(and gentlemen)

Before you continue in High and Mighty formation, let me just say that one doesn't have to be a Naval Aviator to be aware of (or involved in) things in the aviation world. Just because I don't have gold aviator's wings doesn't mean I can't have something to say about a phrase I hear far too often--which is what we're talking about by the way--not my "status" as a pilot. (Disclaimer of Obvious Fact: my "experience" pales in comparison to what your job involves) As is the case with Airwarriors, it's funny as a joke, but when people actually use it as an impromptu ground lesson as I've personally witnessed (in what I know to be my lame little world of general aviation), I get annoyed seeing such a low standard taken for a pearl of wisdom. I understand perfectly well it's a joke for AWs which is precisely why I don't have any issue here!

You don't have to cash in my .02 (in fact, why would you?), but I'd like it if a person's point-of-view in certain areas of aviation wasn't considered worthless simply because he/she is not a Naval Aviator.

Actually upon further research, that saying originated over 100 years ago. In a time where it was quite common to crash a plane while trying to discover flight. So while we may not know who said it first, I'd be willing to bet that it was a tongue-in-cheek statement made by one of the pioneers of flight.

Point taken, sir. With regards to the saying (and probably several other things) I now see I have a shitty attitude and need to adjust it. I meant no disrespect to any of you gentlemen.

End whining. Awaiting beatings and cartoon work-up by nickUSN.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Good thing I wasn't specifically talking about landing at the boat then. (threadjack on my part?) :sleep_125

Yet the thread is about carrier aviation, life of a paddles, etc. I'll certainly let you have your way in threads about civlian aviation. Wannabe's need not apply here.

You don't have to cash in my .02 (in fact, why would you?), but I'd like it if a person's point-of-view in certain areas of aviation wasn't considered worthless simply because he/she is not a Naval Aviator.

Hate to tell ya junior, your point of view is worthless in certain aspects of Naval Aviation. Just the way it is. If and when you make it to the dance one day, by all means come on in but until then, well, you just have to deal with your place in the pecking order.

USNMark

Hate to tell ya junior, your point of view is worthless in certain aspects of Naval Aviation. Just the way it is. If and when you make it to the dance one day, by all means come on in but until then, well, you just have to deal with your place in the pecking order.

Aye sir, and sorry again for any trouble I've stirred up. I'll keep my mouth shut here and elsewhere. at least with Naval Aviation threads... which unfortunately covers more than 90% of the forum...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Aye sir, and sorry again for any trouble I've stirred up. I'll keep my mouth shut here and elsewhere. at least with Naval Aviation threads... which unfortunately covers more than 90% of the forum...
Now, now ... there's no trouble, no problem, so don't go getting all "weepy" and go shrinking back into your civie-street PPL "hole" and pout :) ... if & when you deserve to be CRUSHED because of "attitude" or not knowing "your place" ... you'll know it. If you don't know it; we'll let you know. :D

This forum is a GREAT place for an exchange of ideas about the Navy in general and a GREAT place to learn about Naval Aviation and it's traditions, history, and future potential in particular.

But it's Naval Aviation ... not civilian aviation. Civilian aviation is chopped liver when compared to the "be somebody" aspects of Naval Aviation.

If you only learned that from your little exchange on this thread -- you're nautical miles ahead of your civilian peers. :)

BTW ... this thread is about LSO's and WAVIN' ... not a thread about feeling sorry for our collective selves. :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Now, now ... there's no trouble, no problem, so don't go getting all "weepy" and go shrinking back into your civie-street PPL "hole" and pout :) ... if & when you deserve to be CRUSHED because of "attitude" or not knowing "your place" ... you'll know it. If you don't know it; we'll let you know. :D

This forum is a GREAT place for an exchange of ideas about the Navy in general and a GREAT place to learn about Naval Aviation and it's traditions, history, and future potential in particular.

But it's Naval Aviation ... not civilian aviation. Civilian aviation is chopped liver when compared to the "be somebody" aspects of Naval Aviation.

If you only learned that from your little exchange on this thread -- you're nautical miles ahead of your civilian peers. :)

BTW ... this thread is about LSO's and WAVIN' ... not a thread about feeling sorry for our collective selves. :D

With age and experience comes wisdom....listen to this man USNmark.

USNMark

With age and experience comes wisdom....listen to this man USNmark.

Yes sir, I've thus far tried to glean some of the wisdom from his posts (and the rest of the AW world). I'm trying not to sound like a pansy by saying "lesson learned!" but still, it's important for me to stay respectful and attentive when it comes to learning the many facets of naval life. This is my last post in this thread because I've already wasted enough time that could be spent talking about carrier traps, so have at, I'm signing off.