• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Road to 350: What Does the US Navy Do Anyway?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
As has already been noted both South Korea and Taiwan have limited power projection capabilities…
I imagine that in a war with China power projection is less important than “holding the line” for the countries noted above. If China can’t advance beyond the Japan/Philippines/New Guinea/Australia arc they can not win. Well…that assumes we are smart enough not to put boots on the ground in Mainland China until after the ceasefires are signed.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I imagine that in a war with China power projection is less important than “holding the line” for the countries noted above. If China can’t advance beyond the Japan/Philippines/New Guinea/Australia arc they can not win. Well…that assumes we are smart enough not to put boots on the ground in Mainland China until after the ceasefires are signed.
It’s entirely possible China will try to take only Taiwan (while keeping other countries out of the conflict), hold there/ consolidate, wait 10-40 years while getting stronger, take something else (while keeping other yadda yadda), rinse, repeat. If they are savvy they will make their gains slow and localized while preventing the int’l community from coalescing against them quickly enough to reverse the action. They’ve pretty much done this with Tibet, Hong Kong, Xinjiang, Spratlys/SCS. Any “freedom fighters” get crushed or labeled terrorists. Just get a grip on the area and keep other state powers from stopping them in any meaningful way, then using other instruments of state control to slowly mold/suppress the surviving peoples/culture to the “Han Chinese” way of doing things under the thumb of the regime. Then, by waiting a few decades, the rest of the world has forgotten or given up on “saving” that part of the world and the generation has turned over once or twice (Tibet is an example).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Finally, there is India due to both its strategic location between China and Persian Gulf oil as well as its hostility and willingness to exchange blows with China.

A small point of order: India is not an ally, but a partner. Something the U.S. has been trying to change but India hasn't been interested in. One of many reasons the U.S. has been very willing to sell more P-8s and -60Rs to the Indians.

That said, be it a partner or an ally, they will be absolutely critical in helping with China when/if the time comes.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The latest 'Block' also happens to cost about 1/3rd more than the Astute-class and might be a bit bigger than the Aussies want. The Aussies will also want considerable technology transfer and share in the construction and that might help the Brits more than it would us, given their smaller industrial base for building nuke subs.
Block V is meant to replace our SSGNs.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It’s entirely possible China will try to take only Taiwan (while keeping other countries out of the conflict), hold there/ consolidate, wait 10-40 years while getting stronger, take something else (while keeping other yadda yadda), rinse, repeat. If they are savvy they will make their gains slow and localized while preventing the int’l community from coalescing against them quickly enough to reverse the action. They’ve pretty much done this with Tibet, Hong Kong, Xinjiang, Spratlys/SCS. Any “freedom fighters” get crushed or labeled terrorists. Just get a grip on the area and keep other state powers from stopping them in any meaningful way, then using other instruments of state control to slowly mold/suppress the surviving peoples/culture to the “Han Chinese” way of doing things under the thumb of the regime. Then, by waiting a few decades, the rest of the world has forgotten or given up on “saving” that part of the world and the generation has turned over once or twice (Tibet is an example).
I disagree entirely with the Spratlys area. China has claimed a parking spot and everyone parks there anyway. All the others are pretty much interior lines.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Foreign Policy has a couple of good articles on the state of the US Navy and a comparison to China.

Float, Move, and Fight
How the U.S. Navy lost the shipbuilding race.
But perhaps the biggest contrast with China right now is shipbuilding capacity. While China has dozens of big shipyards that can build both warships and big commercial vessels, there are only seven yards in the United States that can build major warships.

Sea Power Makes Great Powers
History reveals a country’s rise and decline are directly related to the heft of its navy. So why is the United States intent on downsizing?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Nothing Jerry Hendrix writes is worth your time.
Tyler Rogoway:
4f09cfa775807731357d2798c8cf6178.jpg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Foreign Policy has a couple of good articles on the state of the US Navy and a comparison to China.

Float, Move, and Fight
How the U.S. Navy lost the shipbuilding race.
But perhaps the biggest contrast with China right now is shipbuilding capacity. While China has dozens of big shipyards that can build both warships and big commercial vessels, there are only seven yards in the United States that can build major warships.

Sea Power Makes Great Powers
History reveals a country’s rise and decline are directly related to the heft of its navy. So why is the United States intent on downsizing?

Pags and Flash,
As Foreign Policy decided to not only publish these articles online but also select these 2 articles for print in their magazine, I was curious what you found objectionable.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags and Flash,
As Foreign Policy decided to not only publish these articles online but also select these 2 articles for print in their magazine, I was curious what you found objectionable.

When did I object to them? I can't even read but for the first 2 paragraphs.

Though I will have to agree

Jerry Hendrix is, prima facie, objectionable.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Pags and Flash,
I concur with Brett. I don't put much stock in anything I've seen from Hendrix. From the little I could see from this article it looks like it may seem revolutionary if you've never heard of Mahan. And the other article is a rehash of popular sentiment wrt DDG-1000 and LCS.

What do you find relevant about these articles that led you to share them?

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

CNO Gilday: ‘We Need a Naval Force of Over 500 Ships’​

By: Sam LaGrone and Mallory Shelbourne
February 18, 2022 8:09 PM

1645407914491.jpeg
Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Spruance (DDG-111), left, USS America (LHA-6), and Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70), transit the Philippine Sea on Jan. 22, 2022.