• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

MVS26

Glenn. Don't be bitter 'cause you got a plane that's run by three other guys and not you. Just let us do our job, bring us home safe, and we'll let you keep your job.

Jack

Originally posted by MVS26
Glenn. Don't be bitter 'cause you got a plane that's run by three other guys and not you. Just let us do our job, bring us home safe, and we'll let you keep your job.

Well thanks MVS26, that's very generous of you to allow us to keep our jobs. Really, thank you! I sweated it out for two years in flight school hoping you would smile upon me with approval.

MVS26

Originally posted by Glenn

They're just baggage anyway, who cares what they're called!!! hehehe....
And the NFO's didn't go through flight school to be called baggage, man. So, for now, you're welcome.

Grandmaster235

World's Greatest Pilot
Best to pick a community that doesn't have NFOs so you don't have to listen to this all day...

LUCK = THE INTERSECTION OF PREPARATION AND OPPORTUNITY

ProwlerPilot

pilot
MVS26, I'm assuming since your bio says that you are in P-cola that you are still in the training program. It is called a joke. The pilots didn't go through flight school to be called monkey's either, but it is a little inter-cockpit rivalry that goes on. Maybe when you get out into the fleet and have a little experience working between each, you will understand.

Do I feel that NFO's step on my toes from time to time, especially when it comes to nav and comms, and that I do not really need them in the cockpit to help me fly the plane? Yes. Do I realize that I have no idea how to jam anything and that without them the Prowler could not fulfill its mission? Yes. So when I say that they are baggage it is all in good fun. No one likes SWO's, but if they didn't drive the ship we all would be SOL. Try to join in the fun.

MVS26

Actually, I've probably spent more time in a fleet ready room than yourself, but that's another story, so don't talk about things you don't know. Just try saying the baggage thing in your ready room next time you get a chance. See how many laughs you get out the fo's OR the experienced pilots. Just try it. Let me know how it works out for you.

topher1235

Originally posted by Glenn
Do I feel that NFO's step on my toes from time to time, especially when it comes to nav and comms, and that I do not really need them in the cockpit to help me fly the plane? Yes. Do I realize that I have no idea how to jam anything and that without them the Prowler could not fulfill its mission? Yes. So when I say that they are baggage it is all in good fun. Try to join in the fun.
Correct me if I'm mistaken but what your saying is that you accept their role in the aircraft, but you believe they impede on your performance? I was just wondering where this attitude comes from. Is it a pilot thing or was there a falling out with an NFO along the way?

Pat1USMC

Enroute to VMAQ-1
I'm with you. Some of the replies on this topic are ridiculous. Especially the "pick a community that doesn't have NFO's"

And the "no one likes SWO's" comment. Unbelievable. I don't understand whats going on here, but I sure as hell hope that this crap doesn't go on in the Marine Corps.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
Ok, to clear the air. I am sorry for the comment. I was not meaning to stir up a lot of discontent. Like I said, it was meant as a light hearted comment and nothing more. For people who know me, I tend to joke a lot, and I understand that on this forum it is difficult to get across body language and inflection of voice. I apologize to anyone that has taken offense to my comment, it was not my intent. I apologize to to MV for assuming that you were in flight school still. I appreciate all aspects of what everyone does, I honestly do. Like I said I understand that NFO's are just as important to the Prowler mission as I am. And I don't dislike SWO's, it is just a "brown shoe / black shoe" thing that exists. Once again a little fun inter-community rivalry. At the end of the day we are all on the same team, and I fully respect every position in the Navy from cooks to the Commander in Chief. I assumed that there could be a little competitive/fun banter back and forth, but I see that this is not the place.

ProwlerPilot

pilot
To topher1235,

I did not have a run in with any NFO's. Obviously I am new to the community and I am appoaching it with an open mind. However it is a bit of a transition to go from a plane where I was in charge of everything having to do with flight, such as clearance, checklists, nav, comms, etc. to a plane where half of everything I used to do is now done by the guy sitting next to me. And only because of the training program, I come to the RAG with about twice as much experience than the NFO's do. Therefor, in the rag, and particulalry with other NFO students, it often takes more time to convey what you want done, than to do it yourself. I know that I will eventually work with ECMO's who are more experinced that I am and they will teach me, however, right now it is an interesting transition. We are trained from day one to be single pilot, and then suddenly put together with a crew. Just a different mind set.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
I understand what you were trying to say Glenn. I also get that you were making "light-hearted" banter. It seems like some on here are a little over-anxious to jump on people. If anything, I can see that maybe someone would want a little more light shed on your post and ASK for an explanation, but to go about it the way they did...uncalled for. Don't feel defensive or put-off by their eagerness to berate. We are not all like that.

grouch

Glenn, as a future FO, I thought it was funny. And if I ever fly with you and you piss me off, I'll just knock off your headset and put a pencil in your ear! Take that funny boy! I hope you can percieve the humorous inflection there.

Status
Not open for further replies.