• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjimenez

Yes Nikki,

The F/A-18F Super Hornet is the latest twin-seater. CNN Presents just had a great one hour episode on this plane. Check it out online. Eventually, this plane may replace the Prowler designation EA-18G Growler..it will be a two-seater from what I've read.

Jack

Alright guys this is how it all works:

RIO -- Tomcat FO

ECMO -- Prowler FO

??? -- Hoover FO (that's an S-3)

WSO -- Marine FA-18D FO

I would imagine that the Navy Super Bugs will carry "RIOs"

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
I read somewhere that the Super Bug NFO will be "Wizzos."

Don't sweat the small stuff!

Slick

In regards to the Super Hornet: The terminology being used when we contact the fleet with rear seat issues is Wisso. That was probably set into motion by Boeing, because they’re the F-15 contractor and the F-15E has the Wisso designation. Also, Boeing is pretty tired of hearing about the F-14 and how cool it is, so it's no surprise that they would want to stifle that RIO designation. Wisso stands for weapons system operator, which is a more accurate definition of what those guys do, rather than radar interceptor.

Slick(F/A-18 avionics engineering)

JayManC

as far as i know they are still RIO's. A guy i work with does RIO sim training here at OCEANA and all the F/A-18E/F's are getting F-14 transitional RIO's. For instance a few of the guys that were lost in that accident a few days ago were all former F-14 RIO's. WSO (wisso's) are marine RIOs essentially

<insert something witty here:>

aftrbrnr

Are ALL the new F/A-18F backseats being filled by former F-14 RIO's? Are any NEW NFO's being trained on F/A-18F's as their first assignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.