• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ribbon Bothering Me

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Well since I am being trashed I figure I should defend myself...

Sorry for asking the question...I thought that this forum was for. Never claimed to be a Marine, just a simple applicant busting his ass to get into OCC-193.

Thanks to the people who answered my question.

Okay, people are simply having a little fun. I think if I were to figure out how much of my time in the military has been giving and receiving crap from others I would say abou 50%, and that's on the low end. People give each other crap ALL the time. It's something to get used to :)

Note: The time to get worried is when they stop talking to you....

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Okay, people are simply having a little fun. I think if I were to figure out how much of my time in the military has been giving and receiving crap from others I would say abou 50%, and that's on the low end. People give each other crap ALL the time. It's something to get used to :)

Note: The time to get worried is when they stop talking to you....
USMC Philly and all the other new bubbas visiting the website.... This post sums up your experience on Airwarriors in a nut shell. No one is out to get you, or personally attacking you, but if you do NOT have a thick skin, then you might wonder if the military, and aviation in particular is the best place for you.

Seriously, we are going to do our best to answer your questions, and help you out, but at the same time the majority of our banter is directed at each other.

Cheers.

John

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
Okay, here is how you find out what this ribbon is.

First click here ---> www.google.com

Then enter search "military ribbons" and select the first link. Which happens to be this one http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/ribbons/

Then it gets a little difficult. There are several selections that you must choose from. One of them happens to be the Marine Corps crest. If you should so desire you could select that one and be taken to this link. http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/ribbons/MarineCorps1.html

If you look half way down first one on the left it resembles what you are looking for.

Hope it helps, also any other questions on ribbons can also be found there.

The one thing that has always struck me as odd about the NDSM is how high in the order of precedence it is. It would seem to me that any of the various campaign medals would warrant a more prominent display on a uniform than the "gimme" ribbon. Maybe someone who has a few more ribbons than I do has a better idea of why that is?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Do we really need this thread open still? I mean come on...fun if fun but this is ...I don't know...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All you need for the National Defense Medal...
case3-EKG.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The one thing that has always struck me as odd about the NDSM is how high in the order of precedence it is. It would seem to me that any of the various campaign medals would warrant a more prominent display on a uniform than the "gimme" ribbon. Maybe someone who has a few more ribbons than I do has a better idea of why that is?

If you look at what's rated below it, you can kind of see why. Most of the awards below it are campaign medals/ribbons. The medals above it are more selective as you go. Have a heart beat, you get the NDSM. Have a heart beat and don't get in trouble, well then you get a good conduct. And so on.

phrogpilot73

If you look at what's rated below it, you can kind of see why. Most of the awards below it are campaign medals/ribbons. The medals above it are more selective as you go. Have a heart beat, you get the NDSM. Have a heart beat and don't get in trouble, well then you get a good conduct. And so on.
I've never really understood why the NDSM is an individual award. I've had one since '92, and added a bronze star in '01... Again, I had the capability of fogging a mirror so that's why. Yet, my "been there, done that" medals (I'm not going to include ribbons) are below it in order of precedence. I'm talking about Iraqi campaign medal, GWOT expeditionary, GWOT Service, Hand Job Medal... Out of those, I think that the NDSM should be the lowest, not the highest. Who thinks these things up?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
I've never really understood why the NDSM is an individual award. I've had one since '92, and added a bronze star in '01... Again, I had the capability of fogging a mirror so that's why. Yet, my "been there, done that" medals (I'm not going to include ribbons) are below it in order of precedence. I'm talking about Iraqi campaign medal, GWOT expeditionary, GWOT Service, Hand Job Medal... Out of those, I think that the NDSM should be the lowest, not the highest. Who thinks these things up?
It's chronographic (seriously). That's why each new campaign award also ranks lower than those that previously existed.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Yeah, but I got shot at way more to get all the others than the NDSM...
I had some pretty mean paper clips shot at me during Shield/Storm for the first one. I do agree that it's pretty silly though putting a "pulse-optional" medal above real-life campaign medals; but that's why we're company-grade, my friend...:D