• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ribbon Bothering Me

USMC Philly

I was cruising through the Marine Times special on OCS and saw a picture of the Alphas of a graduating candidate. On his uniform was a ribbon that was red with a gold stripe down the middle. What ribbon is this, I cant find it on all the websites I've searched.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/class186/

Go to Part 2 Picture Gallery, Picture # 34

Please help, b/c my faith in Google has been shaken.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
It's the National Defense Ribbon

Actually, it is the National Defense Service Medal. He is just wearing the ribbon that represents the medal.:D

It was authorized for a while after Desert Storm and then reauthorized after 9/11. Basically, the ability to fog a mirror while in the miltary during a certain time period.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also known as the "pizza stain . . ."

Fmr1833

Shut the F#%k up, dummy!
None
Contributor
:icon_tong Hard to believe you've never seen this one since EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the military currently has one! Presumably, you've been around Marines in their Charlies during your app process.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
isn't it awarded to all who serve during a time of war? in this case, gwot?

Yes, but though The Global War On Terror Service Medal has restrictions, the NDSM doesn't. i.e., Having been in the training command since day 1 I don't rate the former but still have the latter.

Crowbar

None
:icon_tong Hard to believe you've never seen this one since EVERY SINGLE PERSON in the military currently has one! Presumably, you've been around Marines in their Charlies during your app process.

No, apparently there are no prerequisities of any sort to put "USMC" in your screen name.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is EASILY one of the funniest posts in a while.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Okay, here is how you find out what this ribbon is.

First click here ---> www.google.com

Then enter search "military ribbons" and select the first link. Which happens to be this one http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/ribbons/

Then it gets a little difficult. There are several selections that you must choose from. One of them happens to be the Marine Corps crest. If you should so desire you could select that one and be taken to this link. http://www.defenselink.mil/specials/ribbons/MarineCorps1.html

If you look half way down first one on the left it resembles what you are looking for.

Hope it helps, also any other questions on ribbons can also be found there.

USMC Philly

Well since I am being trashed I figure I should defend myself...

When I searched google, I thought that it could be the National Defense Service Medal but I didnt think the ribbon the 2nd LTs were wearing had the white and blue stripes on it. The picture makes the ribbon just look red and yellow. But thanks for the web sites, those are more in depth ones than the ones I had seen.

Sorry for asking the question...I thought that this forum was for. Never claimed to be a Marine, just a simple applicant busting his ass to get into OCC-193.

Thanks to the people who answered my question.