• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Retirement Drama

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
That article feels about 2 months out of date. Panetta, last month, said this won't be happening.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
SECDEF there will be no changes for those currently in the military.
He's made no promises about what the retirement program will look like 20 years from now...

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
what kind of military retirement systems to most other developed countries have?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here is what I found on the retirement systems for our 'cousins' in the Commonwealth; British new (2005/6) and old (1975), Canadian new (2007) and old, and Australian (with chart!). All seem to be less generous, quite a bit less so for some, than our system.

And this goes to show you that it isn't a new issue in the US (PDF).

My biggest concern from the article the OP posted was the fact that military contributions to pensions are more than the total military payroll and that gap looks to only increase. Not exactly the balance we should be maintaining if we want to keep up our current and future capabilities.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know, Flaps. ;) I'm just preemptively pointing out the hypocrisy that many conservatives will unwittingly display. Entitlements are bad... Unless you're the one getting the benefits, then it's an outrage to consider "tampering" with what has been promised. In many contexts, you could use the terms "social security" and "military retirement" interchangeably in a debate over entitlements, but I doubt that many conservatives would think to put then in the same category. It's a precarious line to walk. While I think that our culture of entitlements has ultimately done systemic harm to our way of life in this country, I'll certainly be enjoying my retirement pay and benefits. The challenge is to transition to a more sustainable system for all entitlements without creating a class of disgruntled people who feel like they're getting shafted WRT their older counterparts who are grandfathered in. Policymakers, get to work!

Brett

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Here is what I found on the retirement systems for our 'cousins' in the Commonwealth; British new (2005/6) and old (1975), Canadian new (2007) and old, and Australian (with chart!). All seem to be less generous, quite a bit less so for some, than our system.

And this goes to show you that it isn't a new issue in the US (PDF).

My biggest concern from the article the OP posted was the fact that military contributions to pensions are more than the total military payroll and that gap looks to only increase. Not exactly the balance we should be maintaining if we want to keep up our current and future capabilities.

My question: Do they split pay into allotments like we do? We guarantee 50% of your base pay at 20, but do the math and it ends up closer to 35% (of your take home-similar to the Aussies) when you take out your BAH/BAS.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
well, the fact remains. the country is broke and getting broker. i don't see it turning around as a result of congressional smoke and mirrors anytime soon.
government checks on all three levels may well start bouncing like ping pong balls while the boys in the smoke filled rooms point fingers.
i don't see a management solution. i see a major crisis.
military retirement bucks is just a small part of a much bigger picture.
hard to be optomistic about my grandkids' future.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I know, Flaps. ;) I'm just preemptively pointing out the hypocrisy that many conservatives will unwittingly display. Entitlements are bad... Unless you're the one getting the benefits, then it's an outrage to consider "tampering" with what has been promised. In many contexts, you could use the terms "social security" and "military retirement" interchangeably in a debate over entitlements, but I doubt that many conservatives would think to put then in the same category. It's a precarious line to walk. While I think that our culture of entitlements has ultimately done systemic harm to our way of life in this country, I'll certainly be enjoying my retirement pay and benefits. The challenge is to transition to a more sustainable system for all entitlements without creating a class of disgruntled people who feel like they're getting shafted WRT their older counterparts who are grandfathered in. Policymakers, get to work!

Brett
I don't think the words "social entitlements" and "military retirement" are as synonomous as you may think. There is a difference as to what qualifies one for one benefit and what qualifies one for the other. The day that military pension means the same as welfare is a sad day for our country as a whole.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't say they were synonymous, just that they're both good examples of policies for which people were promised certain terms. They're, in essence, contracts made between individuals and the government. Welfare, as you would define it, is but a small subset of government entitlements.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't think the words "social entitlements" and "military retirement" are as synonomous as you may think. There is a difference as to what qualifies one for one benefit and what qualifies one for the other. The day that military pension means the same as welfare is a sad day for our country as a whole.

You can make as good a case that people rate SS as we do a retirement. They paid into a system. A Ponzi system, perhaps, but SS is definitely not "welfare."

If this country goes off a fiscal cliff, your retirement could be zero, or paid in dollars worth about as much as prize tickets at Chuck E. Cheese. Everyone will have to take a haircut for this country to succeed, and everyone wants to say "not me." We're in a 300 million person prisoner's dilemma right now, with every special interest (of which we're one), says "Fuck you, I deserve mine."

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
It's not a ponzi system if everyone is in it and the population keeps expanding.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My question: Do they split pay into allotments like we do? We guarantee 50% of your base pay at 20, but do the math and it ends up closer to 35% (of your take home-similar to the Aussies) when you take out your BAH/BAS.

Yes and no, the Aussies apparently give an allowance of the same amount to everyone in the service yearly, the Brits don't appear to unless you are overseas (of note, if you look at their officer pay chart it seems to say that you don't get retirement until 65 unless you are still serving when 55 under the newest pension system) and the Canadians don't seem to do allowances either.

Any way you look at it though they all seem to be less generous than our system to varying degrees.