• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Residency, car registration at TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bighuggies

Hi,

Should TBS Marines change their residency, car registration and car insurance, to Virginia status? This brings me to another question. How is a Marines state residency determined in the military? Is it by your station? What if you're stationed in Japan. What would your state residency be in that case, for tax purposes?

USMCBebop

SergeantLieutenant
bighuggies said:
Should TBS Marines change their residency, car registration and car insurance, to Virginia status? This brings me to another question. How is a Marines state residency determined in the military? Is it by your station? What if you're stationed in Japan. What would your state residency be in that case, for tax purposes?
Your residency is the state where you joined the Marines, also known as your "Home of Record." You will be taxed according to your home of record. You don't have to register your vehicle in VA while on active duty.

bighuggies

Just checked with my car insurance company. Apparently, I can save a load of money by switching my car registration (and driver's licence I assume) to Virginia.

Possible dumb question, but this wouldn't change my state of residency, would it?

KBayDog

bighuggies said:
Hi,

Should TBS Marines change their residency, car registration and car insurance, to Virginia status?

If you don't have to, DON'T. Virginia is a pain in the okole as far as DMV issues, emissions tests, inspections, etc. Plus, while at TBS, you will not have time to get this stuff done. (Unless you can find a DMV and garage that will stay open past 2100 for you, while you wait for the "word.")

Do your homework before you get to TBS; it will save you a lot of pain when you get there.

bighuggies

It can't be *that* big of pain is it? I could save $80 a month. And for time, I could change registration a few days before TBS.

But if it really isn't worth it, I'll consider the advice.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
KayBayDog gives good advice. Do your homework. Do not rely on scuttlebutt and jail house lawyers, you could get your okole in heap big trouble. Lets see:

Usually, auto insurance rates are based on where your auto is and where it is being used. If your car is registered in,say, Alabama (low rates) and your auto is in New York, very high rates, you will pay the New York rates. If you do not declare that your auto in now in New York and not Alabama, hey you have no insurance! Does this mean all insurance companies, how could I know? You gotta find out.

State of residence is usually where entered service, But you can change it. I recommend changing it to a state that payes no income tax. But you gotta find out more about that, for example, Florida has no income tax. It does tax, heavily, intangibles such as stock. You gotta find out from your PSD what you need in order to change your state of residency.

Soldiers and sailors act prevents states for taxing non-residents, prevents states from requiring you to register your auto, to have same address on drivers licenses and registration and such.

Back to the auto. If you do decide to register your car in VA, they will probably charge you tax on the value of the car. That you paid tax in your home state might not make a difference. Some states do not have "sales tax" for autos, they call it "excise tax". Thus Florida for example may say they will exempt sales tax if your can prove you paid sales tax in your home state, you, only to find that Maryland calls it an "excise tax" and thus you are stuck with Florida sales tax.

Know before you jump.

And another thing: You Marines stop gathering in the passageway and blocking the dog gone ladders! j/k.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Just to clarify, your "Home of Record" will forever be the state you entered service in. You can maintain your residency there or change it for whatever reason, but the home of record doesn't change.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once you get to Pcola become a FL resident-no income tax and no vehicle inspection. Dont bother changin at TBS not there long enough unless you have to do it. I started as a Maine residents and the taxes and vehicle registration (liberal new england state) killed me so now I am a florida resident and liscencse holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.