• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve Supply Officer

exNavyOffRec

Apologies.. let me clarify to both of you.

I’m a 27 y/o, no prior military service, with a Masters (4.0 GPA). 6 years of work experience in project management/supply logistics. Interested in the reserves and hearing others experiences going through the application process. In speaking with my recruiter this week, he mentioned based off my resume, education, etc I have strong chance of being selected.

@ABMD thank you for clarifying that reservist go through DCO and attend ODS. Recruiter I spoke with said the opposite in that only individuals with prior military service go through the DCO process.
Compared to all but 1 person I saw get commissioned supply DCO you are a bit light in experience, but you are enough in the ballpark you should get the chance to apply, if you want to go active via OCS you could as well.

exNavyOffRec

If you are decide you want to apply your recruiter will work to coordinate interviews with Senior Supply Officers in your area, what they put on your interview evaluation form is very important for the board. What is also important is that your recruiter schedule these interviews with RESERVE Supply Officers as a high rank as they can get, O6 is preferred. Avoid doing interview with FTS (Full-Time Support) Supply Officers (basically active-duty reservists) their opinion doesn't carry the same weight at the board as a true reservist. My interview went like this, "Why do you want to by a Supply Officer in the Reserves?" and "What do you know about being a Supply Officer in the Reserves?" followed by an hour of talking about my civilian employment which has nothing to do with the DoD.

Feel free to ask me any question you may have.
The panel interviews I have seen done the OIC would be the highest ranking person and they were all senior CDR's. There are probably areas where the OIC of local reserve supply component is a Captain but from what I have seen it is more important to get the good marks from the OIC no matter if CDR or CAPT.

TheClyde

I'm a very recent Supply DCO applicant...a few suggestions. 1. Scour the internet and read everything you can find. There is a decent amount of information floating around, but its all very disparate. 2. If something doesn't make sense to you, or you are finding things that seems to be contradictory, ask about it. This could be to your recruiter, someone you know, or on this forum. Maybe I'm just lucky, but literally every person in the supply community that I've reached out to has ranged from helpful to going out of their way to be helpful. 3. Try to network with people in the community, its important to learn the nitty gritty of what being a reserve officer entails to ensure that you're interested in pursuing it.

Once you get to that point, come back here, I can give you plenty of information on my application experience. The good thing is you likely have plenty of time, as most likely the next board that you can apply for is next summer.

vickey0070

Lol, please make sure your recruiter is an Officer Recruiter. An officer recruiter should be familiar with the DC (Direct Commission) path to commissioning.

If you have a good recruiter they should be able to provide a checklist of things you need to provide and include in your DCO package (LORs, Resume, Transcripts, Medical Records, Statement of Intent, etc) You will work with your OR for likely months gathering all that information, once you have completed everything your package will be submitted to a selection board, currently meeting once per year in JUNE! Board members will review your package and either give it a Y or a N. These results will not be posted publicly, only your OR will have access to the results. Supply is very competitive, with past selection rates in the single digits, but I hear things are getting better.

If you are selected, congratulations! You'll work with your recruiter to find a local unit to start drilling with while you work through ODS (Officer Development School) and BQC (Basic Qualification Course aka Supply School). Now you have to get a spot in ODS which is a 5 week course in Newport, RI. Once ODS is done you then work to gain a spot at BQC which is also in Newport, RI. BQC takes about 15-18 months to complete and is a mix of in-person course work and remote learning. You'll start BQC in Newport for 2 weeks, then spend the next 5-6 months doing work from home, return to Newport for another 2 weeks, then another 5-6 months at home and a final 2 weeks in Newport where you graduate BQC at the end of those 2 weeks. That basically sums up your first 2 years in the Supply Corp. Once you complete BQC you can start applying for billets (actual jobs) and doing ATs (Annual Training).

If you are decide you want to apply your recruiter will work to coordinate interviews with Senior Supply Officers in your area, what they put on your interview evaluation form is very important for the board. What is also important is that your recruiter schedule these interviews with RESERVE Supply Officers as a high rank as they can get, O6 is preferred. Avoid doing interview with FTS (Full-Time Support) Supply Officers (basically active-duty reservists) their opinion doesn't carry the same weight at the board as a true reservist. My interview went like this, "Why do you want to by a Supply Officer in the Reserves?" and "What do you know about being a Supply Officer in the Reserves?" followed by an hour of talking about my civilian employment which has nothing to do with the DoD.

Feel free to ask me any question you may have.
This is very in depth details of what is being done at local levels by the OR for Direct Commission Programs. Thank you. Amazing post.

vickey0070

I'm a very recent Supply DCO applicant...a few suggestions. 1. Scour the internet and read everything you can find. There is a decent amount of information floating around, but its all very disparate. 2. If something doesn't make sense to you, or you are finding things that seems to be contradictory, ask about it. This could be to your recruiter, someone you know, or on this forum. Maybe I'm just lucky, but literally every person in the supply community that I've reached out to has ranged from helpful to going out of their way to be helpful. 3. Try to network with people in the community, its important to learn the nitty gritty of what being a reserve officer entails to ensure that you're interested in pursuing it.

Once you get to that point, come back here, I can give you plenty of information on my application experience. The good thing is you likely have plenty of time, as most likely the next board that you can apply for is next summer.
Did you get selected ? @TheClyde

RJS

When did you actually start after the selection process ? I am interested to know if I get selected so to estimate the timeframe. Thanks
If you applied AD, you may want to search the forums for those particular boards. Timelines are definitely different amongst those submitting for Reserves and those submitting for the Active Component. That’s because boards don’t convene at the same time. I am a FY23 select for Supply. The board convened June 16 but chances are, I won’t commission until October (FY23) so there’s no rush with the process. If you want to see average timelines for those submitting DCO, look here: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/questions-after-dco-select.32565/

By the time you get this message, I hope you were able to have found what you were looking for.

vickey0070

If you applied AD, you may want to search the forums for those particular boards. Timelines are definitely different amongst those submitting for Reserves and those submitting for the Active Component. That’s because boards don’t convene at the same time. I am a FY23 select for Supply. The board convened June 16 but chances are, I won’t commission until October (FY23) so there’s no rush with the process. If you want to see average timelines for those submitting DCO, look here: https://www.airwarriors.com/community/threads/questions-after-dco-select.32565/

By the time you get this message, I hope you were able to have found what you were looking for.
FY23 will be this October I suppose ? Fiscal Year would mean next year but Oct will be the start of 2023 according to Fed. Calendar

Reactions: RJS

vickey0070

Yes. The start of the fiscal year begins October 1.
Thank you for the reply earlier. I am doing Reserve Oceano (1805) Designator Boards for FY 23, Aug 15, 2022 is the board date for ODS selections. I am yet to hear back from the OR about the Interview and MEPS to be completed. Hoping to get selected.

Reactions: RJS