• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve Question

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyways, I'm typing up a lessons learned for my buddies back in my old command, and I will post it here after I sanitize/generalize it.

Outstanding idea. Worthy of a sticky. Thanks in advance for sharing.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
www.navyreserve.navy.mil is the site for those already in the reserves. (Active and IRR should both have access)
I'm guessing you are an O-3. If so at some point you will go on this site and register under the apply board section. The Navy is in the process of starting a Junior Officer APPLY process (O-4 and below) to allow better visibility into the jobs available to JOs.

If you are talking to me, homeboy... You are way of base.. After more than 4 1/2 years as an 0-4.. I know all about that; just trying to help somebody with info.... Now go read a book, research, and get back to me Ensign!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you are talking to me, homeboy... You are way of base.. After more than 4 1/2 years as an 0-4.. I know all about that; just trying to help somebody with info.... Now go read a book, research, and get back to me Ensign!

You're old......;)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Well, here's an update to this debacle.

I received a letter on Friday, dated 4 Dec, welcoming me into the IRR. I had done nothing about the Reserves since I started this thread, mainly because I have been struggling with civilian employment.

In any case, I was finally automatically placed in the IRR, but it took over 3 months for it to be processed. How it happened or why it took so long, I have no idea.

Equally confusing is that the letter says I must complete my MSO before I can resign my commission. Keep in mind that I finished my MSO about 1 year ago.

After I got the letter, I tried to log onto BOL, NKO, etc and I have access again.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
If you were a Regular Officer (USN) then you owe one year in the reserves before you can resign... If you were USNR then you owe nothing.. Many folks don't know this little tidbit of info... Also there are a few extra commitments associated with GI bill, TA, and some others that can run concurrently...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
If you were a Regular Officer (USN) then you owe one year in the reserves before you can resign... If you were USNR then you owe nothing.. Many folks don't know this little tidbit of info... Also there are a few extra commitments associated with GI bill, TA, and some others that can run concurrently...
Owe 1 year for what? Just for being a USN? I completed my 8 years about a year ago.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Owe 1 year for what? Just for being a USN? I completed my 8 years about a year ago.

Yep... I never actually looked it up but I am told it is in there somewhere in the small print when you accept a regular commission/transition... One more of the Navy's little tricks... Amazing all the little gotchas they don't mention.. My personal fovorite is if the PCS you on shore duty but you have 1 year left to get out now you owe them 2... :icon_rage

phrogpilot73

I wasn't aware of the 1 year requirement, and I know that in the USMC it's not the case. Most guys who get out prior to the 8 year mark are surprised that they have to finish out to 8 years in the IRR.

TA isn't a big deal because they allow you to buy your way out of it.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
If you get out before commitment, then yes you owe the rest..

The 1 yr thing was something I was told.. I didn't really look it up because I was a USNR for the entrire 11 1/2 yrs on active duty and then a selres for another 2 1/2.. So it didn't really affect me... Just throwing out gouge.. Sometimes, garbage in, garbage out.. But I had heard this several times.. So sounded like it is probably true... BUt like I said I never did varify the info...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
That is interesting. So, do you know if it make the total obligation 9 years combined AD/Reserves? Or is it written to just to add an extra year in the Reserves following RAD?

On the other hand, the Navy accepted my unqualified resignation, meaning they admit (passively at least) that I owed them no time when I resigned. I am not at all doubting what you are saying, I have seen plenty of the Navy's little tricks.

EDIT: Didn't see your response to phrog73