• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve Question

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Trying to get into the Reserves has been almost as frustrating as getting job with the Federal government. I have read through all the posts in the Reserve forum and I still am very confused on how things work. I will start with the most pressing questions/issues and ask more as those get resolved.

I got out almost 4 weeks ago. I executed my Reserve commission back in April. I thought by doing so, I would automatically be in the IRR. However, I have been trying to login into BOL, NKO, and other such sites and I cannot anymore. I contacted the NKO helpdesk and they said that I am not registered as a Reservist in DEERS.

In order to track that down I called the PSD I separated from. They told me that I need to find a recruiter in order to join the IRR. That doesn't sound right, if it is, what status am I in?

Ultimately, I am trying to go SELRES, but my separation physical was completed incorrectly by the doctor. My recruiter told me that I could log onto BOL/NKO download some paperwork and use that to satisfy what is missing from the physical. Obviously, I can't do that if DEERS doesn't list me as a Reservist of any type.

So, am I in the Reserves? If so, what status?

phrogpilot73

Trying to get into the Reserves has been almost as frustrating as getting job with the Federal government. I have read through all the posts in the Reserve forum and I still am very confused on how things work. I will start with the most pressing questions/issues and ask more as those get resolved.

I got out almost 4 weeks ago. I executed my Reserve commission back in April. I thought by doing so, I would automatically be in the IRR. However, I have been trying to login into BOL, NKO, and other such sites and I cannot anymore. I contacted the NKO helpdesk and they said that I am not registered as a Reservist in DEERS.

In order to track that down I called the PSD I separated from. They told me that I need to find a recruiter in order to join the IRR. That doesn't sound right, if it is, what status am I in?

Ultimately, I am trying to go SELRES, but my separation physical was completed incorrectly by the doctor. My recruiter told me that I could log onto BOL/NKO download some paperwork and use that to satisfy what is missing from the physical. Obviously, I can't do that if DEERS doesn't list me as a Reservist of any type.

Welcome to the pain my friend... Luckily the USMC is very happy to keep our MOL accounts active (I think they expect us to come back), so I can navigate around there. There should be a system that your recruiter can check to see if you are in the IRR or not. If you're not, I'm guessing it's going to be some package similiar to what I'm doing. You might try contacting a unit and seeing if they can help you out...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I am pretty certain that you are IRR. I was a bit in the same boat and never had a break in my reserve service, even though it took me 6 weeks to get in the Ready Reserve after leaving active duty.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
That's what I think, but the PS3 (I know, I know) swears up and down that I have to join the IRR. In fact, when I asked about my commission, she said is just paperwork that says I "intend" to join the Reserves. Obviously, I know the commission is a little more than that.

Normally, I would try to research all of this stuff, but I don't know where to start with pubs/instructions about the Reserves.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's what I think, but the PS3 (I know, I know) swears up and down that I have to join the IRR. In fact, when I asked about my commission, she said is just paperwork that says I "intend" to join the Reserves. Obviously, I know the commission is a little more than that.

Normally, I would try to research all of this stuff, but I don't know where to start with pubs/instructions about the Reserves.

PM Sent for recruiter POC.

Bird85

None
I'm almost positive the PS3 is wrong

As someone who did what you did in 1994, went SELRES in 1995 and recalled to TAR (FTS) in 1996, and also was a Reserve Program Director at Navy Air Reserve Center New Orleans, I can say with almost 100% certainty that the PS3 is wrong. If you accepted the Reserve Commission, you are automatically put into the IRR. Once you contact a reserve recruiter and he/she places you into a billet, you will then be a drilling reservist.

In case I'm mistaken, I've posted the link to PERS-4911, the people in Millington who handle this kind of stuff. I suggest you call. The only number I could find is 901-874-3482. Here's the link:

http://www.npc.navy.mil/CareerInfo/ReservePersonnelManagement/Officers/Pers4911.htm

Good Luck.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about the physical. You'll have to do a long form flight again if you get into a DIFOPS billet. I would ask PERS 4911 if the incomplete paperwork will hinder your accession into a SELRES billet.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just another opinion. If you had completed your 8 year total obligation, and you should have. All you have done is preserve your commission. I bet you are in the Standby Reserve as something like a S1 or S2. That is why you have no access. If a guy still has a reserve obligation, he will go to the IRR automatically so they have a mechanism to keep tabs on him. Otherwise, you have to make an affirmative effort to re-affliate.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Just another opinion. If you had completed your 8 year total obligation, and you should have. All you have done is preserve your commission. I bet you are in the Standby Reserve as something like a S1 or S2. That is why you have no access. If a guy still has a reserve obligation, he will go to the IRR automatically so they have a mechanism to keep tabs on him. Otherwise, you have to make an affirmative effort to re-affliate.

Ahhh, interesting. Yes, I completed my commitment, so maybe this is the situation. I will work with that Pers office listed above to see what the deal is. Thanks to everyone.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
http://www.navyreserve.com/

This should answer most of your questions.....

I have been on that site several time before I posted my questions, it didn't help at all.

However, once I got some answers from here, the reserve website made much more sense. I didn't have enough basic info (e.g. standby reserve, etc.) to even make sense of it.

Unfortunately, I don't think it is a good site for prior service types. It is mainly focused towards non prior folks, which is fine, but it doesn't help those of us getting out, unless you were totally clueless about the reserves (pay, benefits, etc.) If that is the case then TAP totally failed you.

Thanks for sending me back there.

phrogpilot73

If that is the case then TAP totally failed you.
TAP failed somewhere?!? Not a chance!!! When I filled out my critique, I slammed TAP - it's clearly geared towards first term enlisted guys getting out. They should have separate programs, targeting their audience. The information that an officer who separates needs/is interested in is probably more in line with that of a SNCO or Officer who's getting out or are retiring.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Idoesn't help those of us getting out, unless you were totally clueless about the reserves (pay, benefits, etc.)

Welcome to the reserves. It is basically a "roll ur own" affair. No detailers, or career counselors. Pretty much, no help. Once you get somewhere to hang your hat take a guy aside thats been around awhile and pick his brain. If you get smart on the program you can take advantage of the relative freedom you have to mold your reserve career. There are some good deals out there that not only are not available to the active guys, but you would have never been considered for them on the active side if they were. In the reserves, if you see something you like, you put in for it. No detailer behind the scenes subverting your wishes in the interests of your career (as he sees it), or the needs of the Navy.

JKD

www.navyreserve.navy.mil is the site for those already in the reserves. (Active and IRR should both have access)
I'm guessing you are an O-3. If so at some point you will go on this site and register under the apply board section. The Navy is in the process of starting a Junior Officer APPLY process (O-4 and below) to allow better visibility into the jobs available to JOs.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Welcome to the reserves. It is basically a "roll ur own" affair. No detailers. or career counselors. Pretty much, no help. Once you get somewhere to hang your hat take a guy aside thats been around awhile and pick his brain. If you get smart on the program you can take advantage of the relative freedom you have to mold your reserve career. There are some good deals out there that not only are not available to the active guys, but you would have never been considered for them on the active side if they were. In the reserves, if you see something you like, you put in for it. No detailer behind the scenes subverting your wishes in the interests of your career (as he sees it), or the needs of the Navy.

I had gathered that much about being in SELRES. I just didn't think it would be so complicated and inefficient to get in.

I can't imagine a more inefficient process.

Separate through Command/PSD
Run reserve commission through BUPERS/Active Command
Turn in reserve commission to PSD
Work with recruiter to join reserves
Work with separate group of people who control geographic regions (RIA Washington for me)

And pretty much none of these people ever talk to each other.

It's not tough, just tricky, especially if something gets screwed up along the way. Anyways, I'm typing up a lessons learned for my buddies back in my old command, and I will post it here after I sanitize/generalize it.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
www.navyreserve.navy.mil is the site for those already in the reserves. (Active and IRR should both have access)
I'm guessing you are an O-3. If so at some point you will go on this site and register under the apply board section. The Navy is in the process of starting a Junior Officer APPLY process (O-4 and below) to allow better visibility into the jobs available to JOs.

Ahh but that's the trick, I am either not in the IRR right now (see Wink's post above), or I am not properly listed in DEERS. Now that my civilian job hiring process is on autopilot now, I can get back to straightening this out.