• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pokeguy

I'm considering applying for a DCO reserve intel officer and wanted to get some perspectives on deployment expectations going forward. I am not opposed to deploying, and would simply like to have some honest and updated perspectives in this area.
  1. How often do reserve intel officers get deployed? Are these deployments usually 6-12 months?
  2. Are most deployments for reserve intel officers OCONUS, land based? Based on what I've been able to research, it seems that it's very rare for reserve intel deployments to be on the sea or CONUS.
  3. How do deployments as a reserve intel officer in the Navy compare with other branches?
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm considering applying for a DCO reserve intel officer and wanted to get some perspectives on deployment expectations going forward. I am not opposed to deploying, and would simply like to have some honest and updated perspectives in this area.
  1. How often do reserve intel officers get deployed? Are these deployments usually 6-12 months?
  2. Are most deployments for reserve intel officers OCONUS, land based? Based on what I've been able to research, it seems that it's very rare for reserve intel deployments to be on the sea or CONUS.
  3. How do deployments as a reserve intel officer in the Navy compare with other branches?
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

1. The rule is a max of one deployment every 5 years but that is rarely done that often unless voluntary, with the wars winding down the last few years the total number deployments has dropped and folks are being deployed less often. Mobilizations have generally been 270 'Boots on Ground' the last few years, with some time before and after doing prep and admin so ending up closer to 300-330 total. There are plenty that don't do 270 but that has been the recent 'standard'.

2. Yes, most are OCONUS and land-based. There are a few 'stateside' but some of those are deployable and aren't really CONUS except in name only, rarely do folks go to the boat or seaborne though there are a few once in a blue moon.

3. That I don't know for Navy Intel types, though the ones I deployed did Navy stuff at Navy commands I also knew plenty that went to joint commands and did general J2 work.

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Have you asked these questions during your DCO interviews?

devilbones

Arashikage トーマス・嵐影
1. You aren't even eligible until you get your Intel qual so maybe 3 years. They are all voluntary as of FY23 so we will see what that brings.
2. Depends; there are both but many are shore based.
3. Depends; It might be great, it might not. You could end up in the JW Marriott at Copacabana doing DAO support to the office in Rio de Janiero.
*I am not an intel officer, but I am in the IWC.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
That's good - I like that. I will say that, in both OIC and board interviews, I was asked if I'd be comfortable deploying.

On the other side, it’s not uncommon for the interviewer to ask the same sort of questions.

“Do you understand you may be mobilized within X years?”