• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve EDO DCO

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

The board has convened, but results have not been released yet.

todolist

It seems pretty variable as to when your recruiter gets word of who was selected. My recruiter was able to tell me within a few days of the board making their selection but I've seen people who have waited significantly longer.

D

It seems pretty variable as to when your recruiter gets word of who was selected. My recruiter was able to tell me within a few days of the board making their selection but I've seen people who have waited significantly longer.

Thank you for the insight. The board was expected to convene on June 7, so it's been a bit over 2 weeks if there weren't delays. I'm admittedly a bit young for the DCO program. Had I known from the beginning how important age / years of experience were rather than being prodded along I probably would have waited another year or two before applying, as at this point I feel I may have wasted people's time and that's a feeling I really hate. Regardless, as much as this means to me, it's not worth stressing about whichever way it goes :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DrFlorence

Thank you for the insight. The board was expected to convene on June 7, so it's been a bit over 2 weeks if there weren't delays. I'm admittedly a bit young for the DCO program. Had I known from the beginning how important age / years of experience were rather than being prodded along I probably would have waited another year or two before applying, as at this point I feel I may have wasted people's time and that's a feeling I really hate. Regardless, as much as this means to me, it's not worth stressing about whichever way it goes :)

Just as an extra data point I didn't find out my results till over 2 months after my board convened.

Also, I would not stress to much on the age factor as long as you meet / exceed the other requirements. I made it while I was in my late twenties. I believe the tendency for the community to skew to an older demographic may simply be due to the length of time it can take to meet some of the standards, but that is purely an anecdotal observation.

D

Just as an extra data point I didn't find out my results till over 2 months after my board convened.

Also, I would not stress to much on the age factor as long as you meet / exceed the other requirements. I made it while I was in my late twenties. I believe the tendency for the community to skew to an older demographic may simply be due to the length of time it can take to meet some of the standards, but that is purely an anecdotal observation.

Wow, they really left you hanging!

Let's see if 27 is late twenties enough. I have more work experience than the age would suggest, if that means anything. I'm told by senior officers and ORs I have a very strong application (minus the LORs which they didn't look at), but of course the selection board knows best! Not going to argue with their judgment.

DrFlorence

Wow, they really left you hanging!

Let's see if 27 is late twenties enough. I have more work experience than the age would suggest, if that means anything. I'm told by senior officers and ORs I have a very strong application (minus the LORs which they didn't look at), but of course the selection board knows best! Not going to argue with their judgment.

With the time scales you deal with in the reserves, 2 months is really nothing.

D

I got selected for the Navy Reserve Engineering Duty Qualification Program and received an email this morning.

While this is incredible and I couldn't be happier, I'm also very confused as I've been told repeatedly my age/experience is an issue and I have voiced such concerns. I'm also non-prior.

I have little idea where to go from here. I'm told there's drill next month, but I have no idea how to get a CAC, fill out paperwork, uniforms, etc. I'll be emailing these officers, certainly, but if anyone could point me to somewhere on this forum to get a head start, I'd be much obliged.

There's a number of people from this forum I'd like to thank and I'll do so once I'm on a computer again. Also many others IRL and I'll be thanking them personally.

todolist

First off, congratulations. I would seriously doubt you'll be commissioned by next month and you generally need at least to be commissioned before anything can start happening. Once you are commissioned, call your NOSC and ask when SURGEMAIN drills and let them know you'll be showing up so you can meet everyone, even if you haven't been gained by the NOSC yet. The wardroom will help you figure out uniforms, CAC, etc. once you are there. Just to give you a time frame, it took me about 8 months after selection to commission and then almost a full year after that to begin drilling.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I got selected for the Navy Reserve Engineering Duty Qualification Program and received an email this morning.

While this is incredible and I couldn't be happier, I'm also very confused as I've been told repeatedly my age/experience is an issue and I have voiced such concerns. I'm also non-prior.

I have little idea where to go from here. I'm told there's drill next month, but I have no idea how to get a CAC, fill out paperwork, uniforms, etc. I'll be emailing these officers, certainly, but if anyone could point me to somewhere on this forum to get a head start, I'd be much obliged.

There's a number of people from this forum I'd like to thank and I'll do so once I'm on a computer again. Also many others IRL and I'll be thanking them personally.

First off congrats. Second, that's a GREAT question to ask your OR...

D

First off, congratulations. I would seriously doubt you'll be commissioned by next month and you generally need at least to be commissioned before anything can start happening. Once you are commissioned, call your NOSC and ask when SURGEMAIN drills and let them know you'll be showing up so you can meet everyone, even if you haven't been gained by the NOSC yet. The wardroom will help you figure out uniforms, CAC, etc. once you are there. Just to give you a time frame, it took me about 8 months after selection to commission and then almost a full year after that to begin drilling.

Thank you very much sir! I got some long PDFs from the NR EDO Recruiting Director that I'm currently reading through. I'll ask the other officer who emailed me about drilling, and ask when/how I can start. August does seem very unlikely, I agree.

First off congrats. Second, that's a GREAT question to ask your OR...

Thank you very much sir, and yes, I will certainly be asking my OR about drilling, DCOIC, CAC, uniforms, etc.

I recall when you said my chances were "slim to none" and you likened me to Nemo (which prompted the caption under my avatar). I took the first thing in strong consideration because you have too much recruitment experience and skills to not consider strongly, and the second in good spirit. I thank you for your no-bullshit attitude and consistent helpful activity on the forum. My only hope is I can prove to be valuable in augmenting and building the Navy in what ways I can.

From this forum, I'd like to thank @fieldrat for being the angel on my shoulder since December, sharing a wealth of tips and information and advice. @lweathe has been wonderfully helpful and supportive and shared tons and tons of information on her experiences and things she'd done. Thank you to the EDOs in this thread (@todolist, @DrFlorence, etc.), @jRiot504, @motleygunner, @Chance_EDO and others who have been very supportive. Thank you @RUFiO181 and @NavyOffRec for always sharing your recruitment knowledge and experience. It proved to be very valuable. Thanks to all the active duty folks and all the aviators for being a huge inspiration. I'm probably missing people and I apologize.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I recall when you said my chances were "slim to none" and you likened me to Nemo (which prompted the caption under my avatar). I took the first thing in strong consideration because you have too much recruitment experience and skills to not consider strongly, and the second in good spirit. I thank you for your no-bullshit attitude and consistent helpful activity on the forum. My only hope is I can prove to be valuable in augmenting and building the Navy in what ways I can.

For IWC DCO, not EDO DCO.

exNavyOffRec

Congrats!! now go buy a lottery ticket, and you are splitting the winning with RUFIO and myself!

D

Congrats!! now go buy a lottery ticket, and you are splitting the winning with RUFIO and myself!

Thank you very much sir! Heh I'll let you know if I win.

I'm told 16 applications made it to the board. Of those, there were 10 selects, with 3 coming from southern California.

Thank you very much sir! I got some long PDFs from the NR EDO Recruiting Director that I'm currently reading through. I'll ask the other officer who emailed me about drilling, and ask when/how I can start. August does seem very unlikely, I agree.

Thank you very much sir, and yes, I will certainly be asking my OR about drilling, DCOIC, CAC, uniforms, etc.

From this forum, I'd like to thank @fieldrat for being the angel on my shoulder since December, sharing a wealth of tips and information and advice. @lweathe has been wonderfully helpful and supportive and shared tons and tons of information on her experiences and things she'd done. Thank you to the EDOs in this thread (@todolist, @DrFlorence, etc.), @jRiot504, @motleygunner, @Chance_EDO and others who have been very supportive. Thank you @RUFiO181 and @NavyOffRec for always sharing your recruitment knowledge and experience. It proved to be very valuable. Thanks to all the active duty folks and all the aviators for being a huge inspiration. I'm probably missing people and I apologize.

Congratulations! Even though I am in the Air Force and not the Navy (after going 0 for 3 on Navy DCO boards), I too am dealing with being a non-prior and being old by military standards.

For me, once the euphoria of being selected wore off, it turned in to "Ok, what the **** happens next?" and I felt a bit helpless. I obviously can't speak to the Navy's processes when it comes to issuing uniforms/CAC etc, but I am sure you are in good hands.

That first time you put on the uniform, take a deep breath and soak in that feeling. It's surreal.