• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reserve EDO DCO

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

Thank you sir. Looking forward to an email response from the Reserve EDO OCM and a call back from my local officer recruiter.

D

Agh I'm sorry. Thanks for letting me know. I was told to do so by a LT friend so I went ahead.

D

Would anyone happen to know when the next EDO DCO board is? It's not on the FY18 board schedule so I assume it's in December, but my OR told me it's in May/June of this year, so I'm confused.

D

Thanks, but I have this schedule. Notice that it says June 2017, which was confusing as it makes no mention of a June 2018 board :p I don't know why the FY18 schedule does not have the June 2018 board (which is within FY18), but I confirmed with my OR that indeed there is a June board coming up.

D

If anyone's curious, 12 people were selected in the last EDO DCO board. 2 or 3 were rejected on the basis of not completing their "advanced technical degree" (that is, Master's degree). Not many applicants, which is interesting.

D

One thing I'm curious about: does anyone know what the deal is with the "especially as a Professional Engineer" clause on the Reserve EDO Program Authorization? The PA is linked on the previous page. Does the community understand the EIT/PE thing is primarily for civil and mechanical engineers (and some power and chemical engineers) and is irrelevant to most other engineering fields and industries (especially software/hardware engineering)?

Basically, would it hurt someone applying for EDO whose industry doesn't even consider the EIT and PE? I've been asking around a bit IRL but no one seems to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

todolist

The EIT/PE didn't come up at all for me and I am also in a field where this is not relevant; it very much seems like a generic box to check for people later in their careers. I also don't have a masters degree and no plans to get one but I am finishing my PhD so it seems some of these requirements aren't extremely rigid.

D

Thank you sir! Yes you're right. In your case (just speculating here), maybe they saw you're doing a PhD and knowing it takes a lot more time than a Master's (which can be done in as little as a year in many programs), didn't knock you for not having completed it yet. I'm a bit of a younger applicant (27 later this month), so I'm hoping that doesn't end me and that my grades, interviews, and quality of experience can compensate.

D

I've gotten my LORs, did a couple interviews with a CAPT and CDR with excellent appraisals (third interview coming up next week), and my OR got a waiver from the Reserve OCM for me not having 5 years experience yet (she sent my resume, motivational statement, transcripts, and interview appraisals). I've signed all these security forms, etc. Basically, the rest of my package is ready for the June board.

I'm not saying the waiver will overlook the fact I'm not someone with 10+ years experience and a technical manager title (which generally doesn't happen until you're 10-15 years deep in industry at large corporations), even if I have done personnel and program/project management aside from my regular work. I do think there's a reasonable chance that the "lack" of work experience could kill me, but I'm hoping the strong GPA, motivational statement, and appraisals can bail me out.

Edit: Funny looking at the comment at the top of this page. I was still trying to figure out how to start this process other. A few months later and I've gone through the whole process.

D

I'd like to share some information that may be helpful to other applicants. As a disclaimer, this comes from from speaking with a Reserve CAPT and are his experiences and knowledge.

- MOBs can't happen until you get your ED qual and redesignated to 1445. That's when you get added to the mobilization list.
- Typically, MOBs will be OCONUS and in less-than-desirable locations. I note this just in case this is a concern for people, or if people are expecting to do some nice traveling. In any case I can't imagine you'll ever be in a position where you're going to be shot at (though it's not as scary as you'd think anyways).
- MOBs are typically performed with NAVSEA.
- Sea time for Reserve EDOs is limited mainly to training and transit. Active EDOs getting sea tours are generally warfare qualified but mentioned even that is not so common as engineering duty is effectively a shore job.
- I'm sure most people know this, but your work as a reserve officer is not just the weekend drilling and AT. You're always taking care of things. He stressed this point. Be prepared to have a side-job on top of your busy, demanding civilian engineering job.
- Once commissioned, you will join a reserve unit (typically under SURGEMAIN he says), but once you qualify and redesignate, chances are you'll have to find a new unit that won't be at your nearest NOSC. I don't know how much truth there is to this in major Naval centers like Norfolk and San Diego. But the point was be prepared to drill in Kitsap if you're living in California.
- There's 2 main tracks after qualification: 1) technical leadership on programs and projects and 2) leading enlisted sailors and others as a CO or OIC.

D

Checking in for the June board. Best of luck to everyone!