• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REQUEST: Good aviation/military books

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Red November - Cuban Missile Crisis, the nuts and bolts behind how we were able to locate the soviet foxtrots, and also some of the cable tap missions.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

Renegade One

None
Just started reading a pretty new book (2010 release): "Night Fighter Navigator: Beaufighters and Mosquitos in World War II" by Dennis Gosling, DFC. Obviously will probably have a bit more appeal to the NFO community, but I'm really enjoying it. The training schema, the primitive AI gear and GCI techniques, etc. Great stuff. Plus I love Mosquitos…and now Beaufighters, I guess.

FastMover

NFO
None
Angles of Attack by Peter Hunt is a great account of the air war in Gulf War 1 from the point of view of an A-6 Intruder crew. Also, The Ravens by Christopher Robbins was an incredible book about the CIA run air war in Laos...very interesting read.

BlkPny

pilot
Just read After Action, by D. Sheehan. Its about a Marine Cobra pilot's experiences in OEF, and its psycological after effects. The guy is totally honest and open, and eloquently describes the thoughts that many of us had during and after our combat experiences, but never allowed to surface.

By the way, his dad was a plankholder in my old squadron, VAL-4, but left just before I arrived in Binh Thuy. Now, my son is also a Marine Cobra pilot. Small world.

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Are the wannabes allowed to make suggestions?

I just finished "The Outpost" by Jake Tapper about the Battle of Kamdesh and the years at COP Keating in Afghanistan that led up to it. A very good read, and goes into heartbreaking detail about the experiences of the families of the fallen.

Also, Eric Grieten's "The Heart and the Fist" is a pretty good read. As someone who has also walked away from academia for the Navy, this book spoke to me quite a bit.

Also, about "Red Eagles" - my dad has some artwork of an F-4 with his name on it dogfighting a Mig-21. He was way too young for Vietnam, and I was always curious about it. The he rang me up one day really excited to tell me about this program that was declassified, mystery solved!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I just read "Into the Fire", Dakota Meyer's book about the battle in which he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

To be honest I wasn't really impressed. While it is a vivid narrative, it is can be tough to read. The prose didn't flow well. It felt like a rough draft, not a polished product ready for publication.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
"The Dream Machine: The Untold History of the Notorious V-22 Osprey"
Richard Whittle
http://www.amazon.com/The-Dream-Machine-History-Notorious/dp/B0048ELDAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362371111&sr=8-1&keywords=the dream machine the untold history of the notorious v-22 osprey

Can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet - a very informative and rather lengthy history of the tilt-rotor program. Love it or hate it, "The Dream Machine" chronicles the program's triumphs and tragedies with equal attention.

Agree. Good book.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I got to throw a plug in for the Caine Mutiny. I'm convinced that one shouldn't be allowed to commission in the Navy without first reading that book. The parallels to the modern Navy in terms of wardroom politics are just remarkable.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Recent reads:

PACIFIC CRUCIBLE by Ian Toll, pub: 2012. The first year of WWII in the Pacific 1941-1942, including lead up to the war.

THE FUGU PLAN by Rabbi Marvin Tokayer. The untold story of Japanese and the Jews during WWII. The book details a plan carried out by the Japanese Government to smuggle European Jews to Japan (and China) in order to save them from Hitlers holocaust. Rabbi Tokayer was an Air Force Chaplain stationed in Japan after the war. Quite by accident he stumbled upon a Jewish enclave in Tokyo, remnants of the settlers, and thus began his research. Published in Israel. 1979.

INTO THE SILENCE. By Wade Davis, pub 2011. A story of the Great War (WWI - The war to end all wars) and the conquest of Mt. Everest. Compelling book, impossible to put down.