• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REQUEST: Good aviation/military books

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
"Jets, Vettes and Sex": fictional memoir written by a former Hornet guy about his nugget tour, including his experience in the opening shots of OEF. Very honest, lots of good bar stories, and the guy pretty much writes in the spirit of full frontal nudity (literally and figuratively speaking).
"Sierra Hotel: Flying Air Force Fighters in the Post Vietnam Years": Good account of the changes in tactics and weapons in the final years of Vietnam, and particularly the work the AF Weapons School @ Nellis did in the 1970's, pretty much laying the groundwork for modern day smart weapons and the types of tactics we use today. Well researched and written, though at times it was dumbed down a little more than I would have expected coming from an experienced AF F-4/F-15 guy.

Got through the first fifth of it this evening after reading your endorsement and downloading it. A quick read so far, and funny - I caught myself laughing aloud multiple times... Despite being the only person in my apartment.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Also just finished reading a biography of Capt (?) John "Hawk" Smith, of old school Top Gun fame. Pretty interesting read, written by a retired friend of his. Lots of good info on the evolution of tactics, the school, and whatnot post Vietnam. Also details the initial operational testing of the Tomcat, as well as AIMVAL/ACEVAL

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I was literally about to post this. I'm about 350 pages into it and I started on Saturday. I found out that Midway was a huge clusterfuck, and Guadalcanal was also a giant clusterfuck. Only because the Japanese made a bigger shit show of it than we did were we able to come out on top. Great read.

Yeah I read it a year or two ago. Stanhope Ring definitely had blood on his hands... apparently he was a real douchebag as Hornet's CAG.

Farmount1989

Ironclaw by Sherman Baldwin EA-6B pilot during Desert Storm http://www.amazon.ca/Ironclaw-Sherman-Baldwin/dp/0553577484/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298951779&sr=8-2 I would recommend this book to anyone. Made me change my mind about Prowler squadrons. You, Prowler guys, really doing great and important job.
Start to read Angles of Attack: An A-6 Intruder Pilot's War by Peter Hunt http://www.amazon.ca/Angles-Attack-...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1298952101&sr=1-4 Really enjoy this one. Excellent account of Navy A-6 driver during Desert Storm.
I would recommend next book maybe you will not like it because it's written by officer from the other side (Russian Army) but it's real account from first war in Chechnya Vyacheslav Mironov. Assault on Grozny Downtown http://artofwar.ru/m/mironow_w_n/text_0180.shtml

Hello, here is a link at the full version of the book ov Vyacheslav Mironov, "Iwas at that war" / "Assault on Grozny Downtown",
the text is to be corrected - the nearest renewed version will be published soon (on this weekend may be)
http://artofwar.ru/a/abramow_o_b/
I would appreciate comments about unclear thigs, pure mistakes very much, corrections are made, the text will be better.

Sincere best regards, Oleg

navyao

Fighter Pilot, the autobiography of BGEN. Robin Olds. You don't have to be a fighter pilot to read this book! I've highlited a ton of gouge just about leadership alone. General Olds was definetly "old school" and I hope to God there are some of you out there like him! The book's easy to read, flows well and quite a few laughs in it too. I highly recommend it.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
General Olds was definetly "old school" and I hope to God there are some of you out there like him!

Then Col. Olds was one of our heroes when we were operating "Downtown" at the same time he & his "Wolf Pack"were making history up in R0ute Pkg 6B. I am quite sure that we have a few today like him; however, they would do well to stay 'a bit low key' in the PeeCee/Alky-Free Navy of today!:(
BzB

brownshoe

Contributor
Then Col. Olds was one of our heroes when we were operating "Downtown" at the same time he & his "Wolf Pack"were making history up in R0ute Pkg 6B. I am quite sure that we have a few today like him; however, they would do well to stay 'a bit low key' in the PeeCee/Alky-Free Navy of today!:(
BzB

Sad but true. Things are very different today. (Don't worry I'm not going to start a diatribe.:)) But like A4s said many times: "I weep for the future..."

Steve

(PS. I just sent you an interesting email. Also have some pictures taken when you open the package. Remember that you have a "fan club" next door.)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A signed copy of Maj. Gregory "Pappy" Boyington's autobiogrphy... BAA-BAA Blacksheep is an awesome read.

If you like fiction!!! IMO a much better book is "The Black Sheep" by Bruce Gamble, looks at Boyington's life and specifically his combat exploits through historical records, including the Japanese. He was an outstanding leader and pilot but his score wasn't quite as high as he claims. Probably more like 12-14 kills, including the few with the AVG. Regardless, he was a warrior who flew aircraft with teething issues, in bad weather, through drinking binges but was never afraid to lead men into battle regardless of the situation. This book shows the human side of the man and IMO, it shows what a true patriot and warrior he really was. The truth in this case is better than fiction.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sheep-Bruce-Gamble/dp/0891418253/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

I'm reading "Bully Able Leader" by LtGen George Loving, USAF (Ret). His story of lying F-80's in the Korean War. He also wrote a book on his WWII exploits as a P-51D fighter ace.

http://www.amazon.com/Bully-Able-Le...0262/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318462907&sr=8-1

jonqdoe

Two of my favorites that I haven't seen on this thread..

We Seven: about project Mercury written by the astronauts themselves
Infantry Attacks, Erwin Rommel: The things he did as a small unit leader in WW1

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Sad but true. Things are very different today. (Don't worry I'm not going to start a diatribe.:)) But like A4s said many times: "I weep for the future..."

Steve

(PS. I just sent you an interesting email. Also have some pictures taken when you open the package. Remember that you have a "fan club" next door.)

Hugh/Steve...greetings from CLE...enroute BUF today. RTB next mid-week!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hugh/Steve...greetings from CLE...enroute BUF today. RTB next mid-week!

Sure is great to see you are recovered well enough to travel w/ the "Jet Set" again. When you return, c'mon back here on AW. The young 'uns & wannabees have taken over AW lately. They tend to not want/need the wisdom of the 'ancient warriors' for whatever reason. As a result, "Oldsters" are/have drifted away (A4s), & Steve and I are not getting much out of AW any more. Maybe we can have some 'fun' again? Haven't had a good dog-pile in a year or more??? SOS!:(
BzB

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
Fighter Pilot, the autobiography of BGEN. Robin Olds. You don't have to be a fighter pilot to read this book! I've highlited a ton of gouge just about leadership alone. General Olds was definetly "old school" and I hope to God there are some of you out there like him! The book's easy to read, flows well and quite a few laughs in it too. I highly recommend it.
actually just picked this up today. About to start reading, glad it got a good review

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
If already mentioned, I apologize. Had the privilege of reading Hero Found this Summer by Bruce Henderson. What an incredible life Dieter Dengler lived in his too-short lifetime! As most know, he was a German-born NAVCAD who flew Spads, got shot-down over Laos and became the first american aviator to successfully escape from captivity. He's an inspiration to every guy/gal who's pinned on Navy wings and his story is literally beyond belief at times. A great read about Naval Air. Unfortunately, guys like him probably never pass the screening interviews anymore - he was NOT a PC kind of guy!!