• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

REQUEST: Good aviation/military books

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know we have a good military book thread going, but what about just good books in general? It looks like Streetcar 304 is a book I will be picking up tomorrow.

Good point; merged.

Just read a great book called Ship of Ghosts about the U.S.S. Houston. It tells the true story of the POW's in Japanese-held East Asia and the real story of "Bridge over the River Kwae". Recommended for any WW2 buff.

FastMover

NFO
None
Great find! Looks like it's getting great reviews.

51UiaBWGYyL._AA240_.jpg

Also noticed a vintage A-4 book on the shelves....

41ivdbsQ84L._AA240_.jpg

I just finished Rampant Raider a few days ago. It's written by Stephen Gray. I would highly recommend it. It starts with the author's decision to enlist into the Navy and then enter the NAVCAD program, then goes through pilot training and eventually his first war cruise to Vietnam.

I wish it would've followed his subsequent trip to SEA...oh well. Still very worth reading.

Someone also mentioned Cheating Death by George Marrett, a very good book as well. There is a chapter in there about the rescue of A-7 pilot Kenny Fields, the pilot of Streetcar 304. Good book, definitely worth picking up. Looks like it has a couple of different covers now.

415A28YXJEL._AA240_.jpg

51CWK6PY25L._AA240_.jpg

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone also mentioned Cheating Death by George Marrett, a very good book as well. There is a chapter in there about the rescue of A-7 pilot Kenny Fields, the pilot of Streetcar 304. Good book, definitely worth picking up. Looks like it has a couple of different covers now.
Got this as a gift a few years back and will second it as a good read.

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War by Robert Coram

What did you guys make of the negative slant Coram had toward the Navy and Naval aviators? Was the tomcat really as clunky and ineffective as Coram would have you believe? I know this board is going to slant back the other way, but has anyone that read this book agreed with anything in there about its position on Naval Aviation?

Cheers

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What did you guys make of the negative slant Coram had toward the Navy and Naval aviators? Was the tomcat really as clunky and ineffective as Coram would have you believe? I know this board is going to slant back the other way, but has anyone that read this book agreed with anything in there about its position on Naval Aviation?

Cheers

I kind of fell backwards into the Pentagon at a tender age (0-2) in 76-79 timeframe and worked in the TACAIR Analysis shop that was pitted against the Lightweight mafia. One of the fighter guys taught me about EM and, of course, John Boyd's role in codifying it for fighter pilots. One day, I was in OSD PA&E on a research errand and saw his name on an office so I walked in, introduced myself and started asking about EM. Of course, he had moved on from that and was at the time formulating what led to the OODA Loop. I sat through his brief and went back eager to share what I learned. You would have thought I said a bad word at Thanksgiving Dinner. Folks were pretty polarized back then and it wasn't so much anti-Navy as pro Lightweight fighter (he had just as much resistance in Air Force). I also met all the other card-carrying members of the mafia and his acolytes (not all the same).

BoaisyJon

Point of parliamentary procedure!
SIERRA HOTEL: FLYING AIR FORCE FIGHTERS IN THE DECADE AFTER VIETNAM by C.R. Anderegg.
417CNJNZ2TL._AA240_.jpg

I found this to be a pretty interesting read about the post Vietnam era, and it shows a transformation of the Warrior Culture of the USAF....

and if you don't want to buy it (and don't mind squinting).... it's on the US Government Printing Office website in PDF form: (don't worry, found this link through my local library catalogue) :)

Cheers

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Does anyone know of any good books about or written by A-1 pilots? I just think the A-1 was an awesome airframe and would like to read some first hand accounts from the Vietnam era.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone know of any good books about or written by A-1 pilots? I just think the A-1 was an awesome airframe and would like to read some first hand accounts from the Vietnam era.

My Secret War is an unvarnished JO's account of his experience flying USAF Skyraiders in SEA (as a Sandy) written not long after the conflict ended. It is a 5 star book.

a90fc6da8da0a7390bef0110._AA240_.L.jpg

jdakota

Good Books

I was just wondering if anyone had any must reads they might want to share. One Bullet Away is obviously one of the top on the list, Gates of Fire is good too. Any other good ones besides comic books, yellow pages, etc...

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I think this one has been covered a few times, but Starship Troopers is good. The book. NOT the movie.